massive reconfiguration time again.

-
Okay so I made the above changes and I used the smallest Springs in the primaries. It almost seemed to make no difference and almost as if when I reved it up the the af went up. the first thing that I did was change to the heaviest Springs and that didn't seem to do anything. I did a little air feel adjustment on the front of the carbs. And then it started to idle about 12.5 to 12.7. when I throttle down it will get into the mid 13's.
so I get back and I think to myself maybe I better just try smaller Jets and keep going down but just before I pulled the car in I did this hellacious Woodburn dragstrip Style burnoff as when I went down the block I noticed nobody was home on the Block! I thought what the hell!??
My wife comes out and says The Rifleman starting!? I says well I'll start the car up and put it back in and then I thought maybe I'll just adjust those Jets when I get done watching TV and sure enough I started and all of a sudden the things running at like 14.7-15.6?
I'm going to go out and run it just a little bit more and then come back and see what its reading and check the plugs.

So I go to try the car after it's sat in the garage for an hour and it seems like the starter is all heat soaked.
IMG_20180907_162811.jpg

Now is this a "kill" tune or your street tune?

You may make more power if you can stay at 12.5 WOT
We often see 30 HP on the dyno going from 13 to 12.

I didn't see your final numbers so not sure where you are.

I'd like to see the plugs and see what you got.
#2 plug, it looks a little whitish grey but it looks like I was thought it would have. Like it maybe got black and dark when I broke it in and it was rich and now I've ran it lean and it's burnt off LOL forgot the pic--
IMG_20180907_175755.jpg

Last edited:
And for s**** and giggles number 6 plug it has more of the black set around the base that I suspected the others would have had. I did shut down the car and it was very hot like 230°
IMG_20180907_181250.jpg

P
So the new radiator and fan aren't doing the job?
I think the fans just aren't enough or I need a shroud. Or just a stock fan? Which I'm not against. I have enjoyed my car without the whirling blade of death though for quite some time and have came quite accustomed to it. I'll try making the electric stuff work first but if it doesn't again I know the factory stuff is probably better and I'm sure I have a factory shroud.
It seems to stay relatively well though at -speed.

230 idling is not bad. what was temp in Portland today. 85 ?

I think I just got it kind of hot sitting there tuning it reving it up. I got up into the yellow kind of where it was all the time when I was driving it before and stayed there didn't go into the red. It just wasn't making a full recovery back down into the nice green. I think if I would have took off and drove out on the streets it would have cooled back down.

Another thing I was noticing that it seems like it did take an entire extra gallon of water this time to fill the system.

I'm starting to remember why I bought that $50 318 and rebuilt that automatic transmission last year? Freaking oil change on this motor cost more!
Again in order to start affording to drive this car a little more I'm going to have to start using some common oil with a zinc additive. It has 30 weight Penn grade break in oil now and always has run 15-40 Penn grade. also I want to start experimenting with a little bit lower octane fuel. I'm not sure what the cam will allow me to do, but it sure doesn't ping at any RPM in any gear it seems like. Of course that's running 100ll right now. I want to get a couple gallons of 92 non ethanol and see what happens.

I read back and I forgot to mention that (when I was overheating the car LOL) both the carburetors and especially the back one on the passenger side adjuster a half a turn would was making the air-fuel mixture at idle jump a whole point or more? It was also doing it on the front driver side? Also it seem to operate backwards like when I screwed it in the air-fuel ratio would go down?? I need to read more...

You should start a go fund me so you can buy new carbs....

1,200.00 bucks would get you new 660 center squirters.. less if you can find em used and rebuild em....

Tell YR he can give you the cash he owes me for not racing and put it towards you new induction...

:)

1,200.00 bucks would get you new 660 center squirters.. less if you can find em used and rebuild em....

Tell YR he can give you the cash he owes me for not racing and put it towards you new induction...

WTF??????? We will race. This year. 2018. Like I said. Damn you guys have zero patience, negative faith and tight britches.

You need to have Jpar send you some of his hippie lettuce and then you can get your relax on.

I think you are going to owe me money.

1200 bucks!? I'm looking for 76 bucks so I can get 7 quarts of Penn grade oil and get changed out of the brake and oil.

Does anybody have a current pic of YR car?
Or is a internet legend?

I got this nice little direct connection piece from white pumpkin Nitro today (I like what my voice command did with that lol). Already put some prominence on the back of the package and installed. When I first got it the dingy old yellowing clear film made the peace look rusted and weathered but once I got it out of the package and wiped off it looked really nice.
IMG_20180914_125753.jpg
IMG_20180914_130646.jpg
IMG_20180914_131319.jpg
IMG_20180914_132229.jpg

I just spent 2 hours reading all 22 pages of this thread lol love what you did with the car jpar!!!

I just spent 2 hours reading all 22 pages of this thread lol love what you did with the car jpar!!!
Holy smokes! You poor man! Your brain cells have taken such a blow from reading my pointless dribble. My sincerest apologies! LOL...
Honestly though thank you it was a lot of work and then plus having to post everything and talk about it. It Ain't Easy putting yourself out here and most people don't.
I do appreciate you saying that. Jason.

-
Back