Master cylinder replacement different

-

63SplitWindow

Reaction score
Just got my new Raybestos MC to replace on 73 Dart Sport. Seems like this is either the wrong application (don't think so) or this is the new and improved version. Anyway, the plunger for the old unit appears to be a separate piece from the MC. The New unit has an internal plunger. So I'm trying to separate rod from old plunger without damage.
Do I have this right?

20220910_112346.jpg

20220910_112352.jpg

20220910_112650.jpg

separate the rod from the piston..it's captured by a rubber sleeve which you will need for the new master

The pushrod in your pic still has the master cylinder piston on it. It needs to come off

It can be difficult.Here is an easy way. replace the piston in your master and then bolt the master back on your fire wall separated with a 1/2" or 5/8" piece of wood between it and the firewall.
Now reconnect your pedal and pull it back hard. It should pop out!

Unless you are going to rebuild your old one. You can put the piston on a slightly open vise, with the plunger hanging down.

Put a dowel in the hole the brake pedal pivot goes in to and give the doemerl a wack with a hammer.

If the rubber keeper is not in your new one ( use a flashlight you should be able to see it) and the old one is too hard and /or brittle replacements can be ordered.

Unless you are going to rebuild your old one. You can put the piston on a slightly open vise, with the plunger hanging down.

Put a dowel in the hole the brake pedal pivot goes in to and give the doemerl a wack with a hammer.

If the rubber keeper is not in your new one ( use a flashlight you should be able to see it) and the old one is too hard and /or brittle replacements can be ordered.
Is that rubber keeper needed? I don't see one in there

It's just a piece of vacuum tube !
Snip a bit off the vaccum cannisters.
Some " proper" pieces you buy, have the exact blue stripe, and 2 ribs, that the roll of tube on the bulk rack at your local supply store ! !
This isn't rocket science..
Test it, you won't be able to pull the rod out - just like the original, sheesh !

Last edited:
You'll notice that the original master has a bolt-on piston retainer. You'll probably want to leave that off so it doesn't just rattle around on the push rod. I know on the early cars ('66 and older) keeping that retainer is desired due to the fact that they use a return spring and rubber boot around the pushrod. On a '73 that shouldn't be an issue....although I still like to see a seal around the hole just to keep the dirt and moisture out.

It's just a piece of vacuum tube !
Snip a bit off the vaccum cannisters.
Some " proper" pieces you buy, have the exact blue stripe, and 2 ribs, that the roll of tube on the bulk rack at your local supply store ! !
This isn't rocket science..
Test it, you won't be able to pull the rod out - just like the original, sheesh !
Had some vac tube laying around that was a nice fit. Put a drop of atf on it as I slipped the MC over it so it would swell in the hole. Perfect!

You'll notice that the original master has a bolt-on piston retainer. You'll probably want to leave that off so it doesn't just rattle around on the push rod
Or the OP could drill and tap the holes for the bellows, making sure the holes don't go into any places they are not to supposed to.

-
Back