MATS price gouging?

-

pobolt

Reaction score
I just left MATS. To put my car in the Car Corral, the angry little lady said I had to pay $120.00! Is that what Car Corrals cost these days? I went home instead, as I live here.

Just wondering

Should of parked it in the parking lot close to laneway where people walk in and out with a for sale sign on it.

Riddler

At the Mopar Nations in Columbus Oh car corral is $95

Oh that MATS. I thought you were hopping a military flight....

If it is like most swap meets. The price includes 2 weekend passes plus the swap meet/corral spot. Those events cost money to put on and take a LOT of work by a LOT of people.

If it would have sold...would it have been worth the $120? I can see not wanting to pay if, like a LOT of people, you price your car out of the market. I see cars at swap meets all the time that probably would not get any realistic offers if it was half their asking price. If you attend a quality event, pay the fee and price it reasonable you will be happy with the results.

I have only hauled cars to swap meets 3 times. I was specific on what I was taking to which swap meet. I have yet to haul one back, but I am reasonable in what I expected from each car.

About the going rate!! At the big events, it pays to have 1000's of potential customers shopping in one spot, and as mentioned above, usually comes with 2 passes!!!

I pay to race at the Nats, and extra for my trailer, to have an enclosed place to hang if it rains, to store parts, and have a place to park and gather with friends!! I always tech in, and run if I feel like it!! Costs $125 with 2 passes, I think it's a great price for all that!!

Finally got time to look at the ticket prices.

$30 - One Day Ticket or $80 3 Day - Weekend Ticket.

So it sounds like you would have bought a 3 day ticket and $40 for the spot. Not bad. If it included 2 weekend passes you (2 people) would have saved money vs. just walking in for 3 days.

At Spring Fling in LA with 10,000 plus spectators, 600 show cars and 250 swappers its $40 for the weekend (two days). Or $25 for one day. Free spectator admission. You park in the show field. Or park in the swap for $50 for weekend.

I am also pretty sure there is a huge difference in the insurance costs from a swap meet and car show to a drag race event with a car show and swap meet. I highly doubt someone just said, "hey let's make the car corral $120 so we can load up our pockets". You have to consider both sides of the coin. A promoter has to figure out how many people and at what price it is going to at least break even. How many man hours do you think it would take to put on an event like the MATS? I bet if you broke it down, they don't make much per hour. Yes they bring in a lot during the show but they don't just show up on Friday and the event happens.

I am also pretty sure there is a huge difference in the insurance costs from a swap meet and car show to a drag race event with a car show and swap meet. I highly doubt someone just said, "hey let's make the car corral $120 so we can load up our pockets". You have to consider both sides of the coin. A promoter has to figure out how many people and at what price it is going to at least break even. How many man hours do you think it would take to put on an event like the MATS? I bet if you broke it down, they don't make much per hour. Yes they bring in a lot during the show but they don't just show up on Friday and the event happens.

Yes, I agree.

Its the site fees on Drag Strips that are so costly.

If our Spring Fling club volunteers were paid as promoters we would be charging spectators and more for entry fees too.

MAC flight...or space-A (available) best way to go nowhere on a 96, or get stuck somewhere when your leave is over! Semper Fi! Viva The Flings!

Some more details:
I got to the ticket counter, and told the woman I wanted to put my car in the Car Corral for today. She asked if I pre-registered, or some such. I said no, I just drove up here. She gave me a dirty look and rolled her eyes, and had a very bad attitude. She told me to fill out a form, and it would cost me $120. I said I just want to put my car in the Corral for a day. She repeated, $120. I said no thank you, and walked away.

update: Went back today, got a nice guy at the ticket counter. The $120 is for all three days, but they made me pay an additional $35 per day for my one friend who was with me.

So you pay $80 for the 3 day pass and $40 for the car space. That sure seems reasonable.

As for the $35 a day for the friend? Why is that when single day tickets are advertised at $30?

Usually the rates are posted well in advance. I would have loved to correct her based on a published entrance fee.

Just wait till you try to buy a bottle of water or a soda at the track concession stand !

That's why my wife and I have a cooler full of water/sodas and make sandwiches or cook hot dogs or hamburgers at the Nationals. When doing the hot dogs or hamburgers, get a lot of people saying that sure smells good! Wouldn't want to start selling and get in trouble though - maybe a donation would work lol!

I am sticking with my main point. On the first day, she told me it would be $120 to put my car in the Corral that day. When I told her that seemed high for one day, she just shrugged and gave me a dirty look--no explanation of what that covered. My friend was standing behind me, and thought the seem thing I did, that it was just for the Corral for that day.

Hardly reasonable, or professional. When I told her I thought that was high, thanked her anyway, and walked away, she should have said something.

And I still think $120 to put a car in the Corral for one day at such a small car show is too much. It was her job to explain it to me, especially after I questioned the price.

$120 would have been for 3 days...We paid 120 bucks for a swap meet spot...3 of us shared the cost...I sold over 700 dollars worth the parts...

Each race car cost pre entered 150 x 3 plus one 3 day pass...$510.....broke even for the weekend...and had a lot of fun...

There is always Craigslist...and it is FREE

Not trying to be harsh. But did you look at the event info (for dates) online before you went? Most that attend such events will look at the dates, times and cost, well before going to the actual event. I agree that if the person at the gate was not informed as to what entry was and what it covered. That is bad planning on the staff. However, if I am going to an event. I want to know all that info before I get there.

When everyone decides they should have what they want for the price they decide on there will be no more events. This may be a hobby but it is not free. And to the ones that cheap out by bending the rules, the prices reflect your actions. I have been vendor and spectator and mostly what you hear is"ITS TOO HIGH" I CAN BUY IT CHEAPER!!!! If all you enjoy is keeping a few bucks in your pocket and bragging about how you beat your fellow man out of what was rightfully his you may want to review your character.

And I still think $120 to put a car in the Corral for one day at such a small car show is too much.

Really? You thought MATS was a small show?
I was there with other Inland Mopars Car Club members from SoCal directing the parking in the show car field for the entire weekend.
We didn't think it was a small show - walked our feet off!

Oh, and for all of you who decided not to attend MATS because the car show was opened to Fords and GM musclecars...there were only a couple of Fords and maybe 5-6 GM products that showed up this year.
No time right now, but I'll be posting more about that after work tonight.

A few of you guys apparently haven't read my original post. I even restated it on this thread.
Yes, $120 for three days was a good price. No doubt. But, to repeat myself again and again, I was told $120 was for one day. After you guys enlightened me, I went back the next day and paid $120 for two days. The same price, they told me, even though there were only two days left. Okay, I paid it. My friend was with me talking with them. Even though he was with me in my car, they charged me $35 for him for one day only. BTW, there were no attitudes or animosity, we all got along pleasantly.
Who thinks to check prices before going to an event? The people charging admission had better know their s^^t. I have spent my whole life in Retail. When I sell something, nobody has ever told me they had to verify I was charging them properly. The planners of MATS should have covered such a basic thing as admission pricing. I like to think they were simply negligent.

70aarcuda: Did I read your post correctly? Three of you were charged a total of $120 for three days at the swap meet, and you split it? Not counting your racing costs, that is a bargain. I saw how the car corral and swap meet were pretty much the same area. I wish I had spoken with your ticket person.

-
Back