MC Pushrod Removal

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How do you get the pushrod out of a 74 Dart Sport manual drum master cylinder?

I kinda remember puttng the pushrod in a vice and hitting the MC with a hammer. I just tried this, but I don't want to hit it too hard and break something.

Been a long time.

I'm installing a Dr Diff MC. It has no pushrod. I hope the original installs in the new one and won't fall out leaving me with no brake pedal!

aluminum-master-cylinder-kit.html

Pretty sure you have to force it out. Thr rubber retainer is a one shot deal. Have to replace it.
s-l400 (1).jpg

After 50+ years of heat, cold, brake fluid, rust, and just age, the rubber grommet often turns into something resembling granite. It'll come out eventually.

I ended up putting the pushrod in a vice, and whacking the MC. Fancy new Dr Diff jobby on there now. Thanks for the help.
:thumbsup:

Now the make or break moment. You gotta get that pushrod back synched into that plunger just the way it came out (on the new Master Cylinder). Don't just position it in there, it's gotta be beaten back into place WITH the small rubber gasket.
This is ingenious Chrysler engineering. The pushrod will not come back at you, once installed correctly.
IF you don't beat that pushrod back in, your braking system will eventually fail once you pull back on your brake pedal and back out the pushrod.
They had a rash of Hemi Cars lose their brake pushrods and wreck some years ago. They did a big wheelstand and knocked out the brake pushrod that was installed incorrectly.

if you loosen the M/C and then put some nuts between it and the firewall creating a gap, then pull the brake pedal back hard and it should pop out.

Take the saddle off your floor jack.
Place the rod through the saddle hole.
Use a 1/4 extension through the rod hole.
Jack until the rod pops out.

I just replace one on my car. I forgot about it being held in there. I am so old and it is a pita to climb in and lay on the floor to remove the nut and bolt holding the rod. I took the nuts off and used a crowbar to release it. Really wasn't that tough a job. Bleeding the wheel cylinders by yourself? That's fun. LOL

if you loosen the M/C and then put some nuts between it and the firewall creating a gap, then pull the brake pedal back hard and it should pop out.
If you use that method, be careful you don't break the brake light switch. I'd recommend you remove the switch before doing it.

If you use that method, be careful you don't break the brake light switch. I'd recommend you remove the switch before doing it.
Exactly.
Don't try to pry out the pushrod with master cylinder in the car. It is REALLY in there and takes alot of force to remove it. You will dent the firewall or ruin the brake light switch.
If you ruin the geometry of your braking system, get ready to replace everything.

-
Back