Mecum Thursday, Another Duster goes for big bucks

-
73k for a duster you are a fool

I could see if the right planets were in the alignment...

Very high level elite survivor.
Maybe very high quality OE restoration (quality that would have/take a $80K+ resto bill)
or combination of those with combinations of very high desirable options: V21 hood, 4 speed, folding sunroof, desirable paint color

I could see if the right planets were in the alignment...

Very high level elite survivor.
Maybe very high quality OE restoration (quality that would have/take a $80K+ resto bill)
or combination of those with combinations of very high desirable options: V21 hood, 4 speed, folding sunroof, desirable paint color
they made to many imo
when prices crash its 30k
they could have spent 70k to do it so what
cant drive it if its perfect it wont be long value goes down
looks great all around a bad deal
71 demon bahama yellow as nice or nicer 32k across the blocks 1.5 months ago
1969 dart gts conv 340 4spd full docs chris jacobs drolling had a hard time getting 42k
doosters for 73k your a dummy imo

Give me 73K and you can have both of my cars.

Resized_20210703_103633.jpeg

It is on my bucket list to someday buy a quality car at one of these auctions. Can somebody verify how the fees work?

Using this car as example, the buyer pays $73,700 for the car and another 12% buyer's fee for a total walkaway price to the buyer of $82,500. (and gov't sales tax, title fees etc of course)

Meantime the seller gets the $73,700 minus a 10% sellers commission and therefore actually gets only $66,330.

So the buyer is actually paying about $85K and the seller is actually getting $66K. Is this right?

This then brings up the question when discussing car values around the water cooler do we say this car is worth $66K or $85K?

Good keep buying um' boys! Nothing special about a Mustang but they sell for big bucks. It's overdue for our little "A" bodies to get some lovin'.

Barrett-Jackson has the 10% sellers commission plus no reserve... ever. Mecum action is not like that and you can put a reserve on the car you are selling. But there can be some junk so you better look them over good. Barrett-Jackson is one hell of a production.

It is on my bucket list to someday buy a quality car at one of these auctions. Can somebody verify how the fees work?

Using this car as example, the buyer pays $73,700 for the car and another 12% buyer's fee for a total walkaway price to the buyer of $82,500. (and gov't sales tax, title fees etc of course)

Meantime the seller gets the $73,700 minus a 10% sellers commission and therefore actually gets only $66,330.

So the buyer is actually paying about $85K and the seller is actually getting $66K. Is this right?

This then brings up the question when discussing car values around the water cooler do we say this car is worth $66K or $85K?

Why would you personally want to buy at these auctions? That's just like asking to pay full retail highest price available for something. And you don't get to inspect the car as well with a private sale.

These auctions are dumping grounds for cars with "issues". Yes, there is "eye candy" with nice $150K cars. But there's much more lesser vehicle you don't see on TV that are bad.

Why would you personally want to buy at these auctions? That's just like asking to pay full retail highest price available for something. And you don't get to inspect the car as well with a private sale.

These auctions are dumping grounds for cars with "issues". Yes, there is "eye candy" with nice $150K cars. But there's much more lesser vehicle you don't see on TV that are bad.
Actually the decent deals are off camera. Camera time adds value.

We are all secret vanity whores. Lol.

These collector cars auctions put the buyer in front of hundreds of cars to consider right there, then and now. Quality varies!!

Sorta like a horse sale There is the local monthy plug sale and then there are the extreme high end sales. But eithr ay ther are many there to look over. Quality varies at both!!

The beauty of the selling prices is it brings all our cars up in value.

The bad thing is it brings all our cars up in price (parts, rust buckets, donor cars, project cars etc)

There's really no beauty in it until the day you sell everything off and get out of the hobby for good.

There's really no beauty in it until the day you sell everything off and get out of the hobby for good.
Until you do run across that "Too good to be deal?" It happens.

There is no escape.

Last night some guy whose name I can't remember had his entire collection on the auction block. The Daytona, Superbird and AAR Cuda I mentioned in my other post, plus hemi powered cudas & challengers, plus a couple of 440 Six-Pack powered challengers. He also had some Boss 429 Mustangs that went for big money, W30 Olds 4-4-2s, special edition Mustangs and Torinos, a couple of Shelbys. None went for under six figures. They were still running his cars across the block when I went to bed and he'd already racked up over $6 million in sales! All were non-reserve.

Go to one and you well see for yourself. Lots of nice cars for a good price. But there can be junk as well. You only hear of the crazy ones. I'm telling you though, Chrysler "A" body cars are starting to bring some money. Never gonna be like a "B" and "E" body for sure.

I go to the auctions whenever I can. Have been to KC and Dallas this year. Haven’t ever bought anything, but it is about as much fun as you can have for $20.

I have seen a number of decent cars go what I though was cheap, but you are kind of buying a pig in a poke. Can’t drive it or really examine it well. I don’t think you have any recourse unless you can prove fraud.

A couple of years ago you had to have a pretty special A body to bring over $30k. Boy has that changed….

Well I have an all factory steel ‘74 Dart Sport that has wide lip quarters so did my rusty ‘70 Duster that puzzles me,Did the aftermarket quarters have an even wider lip?

Well I have an all factory steel ‘74 Dart Sport that has wide lip quarters so did my rusty ‘70 Duster that puzzles me,Did the aftermarket quarters have an even wider lip?

Yes, they have even wider lip. At least on the earlier cars. Not sure about '74.

These were the quarters offered before AMD.

That's just one quick clue. Then look at the inside the 1/4 from the trunk and look of a factory like pattern for the spray on undercoating. And then look at how the bottom of 1/4 is connected to the trunk floor extensions. Factory was spot welded.... on and on.

Last night at the Mecum Auction a 1970 Hemi Daytona sold for $770,000! Then right behind it a 1970 Hemi Superbird sold for $775,000! A non-restored, all original Pink Panther AAR Cuda sold for $345,000! Crazy!
:poke: hopefully a 69 Hemi Daytona??? You knew someone would have to say it!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seriously, if you're some wealthy person, who cares if you pay $40k or $75k? I doubt Warren Buffet would be hurt by paying more. If you have money, it's only good if you spend it. No reason to have your coffin filled with cash cause it ain't goin' with you!!
Clearly some wealthy folks there. $700k+ for a winged car. If they can afford it, more power to them!! (Wish I had one to sell!!)

Those Daytonas and superbirds last night were unbelivable the coolest cars on the planet hands down
My duster is not a numbers matching car and I dont care how much its worth because I aint sellin it....

I agree. I have been to lots of the Scottsdale auctions over the last 15 years. Many cars are built for the auction ie look nice on the surface to those who don't know the car. Its the worst place to buy.

God forbid it has the wrong hood scoop.
nice car.

Not a big deal for a street modified car.

But for $73K it needs more mods or more stock. Pick one and do a good job at it.

The ad goes on and on about numbers, fender tag, numbers matching, polyglass etc.. that’s all stock stuff.

And there’s added inspection marks and factory repro wires and hoses bolted on. BUT next to all those bolt ons are incorrect wiper motors, ignition parts, shifter ball, lug nuts.

That said, a lot those incorrect items can be fixed for under $1000 in parts. And FJ6 , V21, 4spd, 3.91 Duster 340’s don’t grow on trees. One of the most desirable combo 71 Dusters there is.

1971 Plymouth Duster | T233 | Kissimmee 2023 | Mecum Auctions

Last edited:
-
Back