Mecum Thursday, Another Duster goes for big bucks

-
I have never been to a big time car auction, but I bet the knowledgable buyers there sift thru the cars hard and the guys with just enough knowledge to be dangerous to themsleve spend more $$ than they should!???
For a car to sell well there, it has to be the right model, but paint be perfect and new interior, detailed engine compartment (Clean and shiny) and shiny bottom???? I always wonder just how good mechanically and driving they are??
Free car show for me in my easy chair!

Yep. For that much I’d rather have a Brand X fastback mustang. I think dusters are the bottom of the barrel mopars. I just don’t like them.
everyone can like what they want
I love dusters but they made alot of them
many features upgraded from prior
disk brakes std 340
nice scoops
ability to put a 10 inch tire under it easy
rally dash
light weight
upgraded intake and carb

I have never been to a big time car auction, but I bet the knowledgable buyers there sift thru the cars hard and the guys with just enough knowledge to be dangerous to themsleve spend more $$ than they should!???
For a car to sell well there, it has to be the right model, but paint be perfect and new interior, detailed engine compartment (Clean and shiny) and shiny bottom???? I always wonder just how good mechanically and driving they are??
Free car show for me in my easy chair!

A fellow car club member and friend own Restorations by Julius a long time noted Mopar restoration shop. From time to time he would get cars in customer would buy at auction. I remember one 69 yellow Road Runner that barely had functioning brakes. All kinds of little issues. It looked nice and shiny.. from a distance.

The camera and even photos hide all kinds of stuff.

Last edited:
Just an auction example....

This $29,900 sold sign was called original in the Mecum ad. Known automobilia collector Mike McCandless (son of Herb) was at the auction and read right off the bottom of the sign "1997".

The owner/builder of that repro sign is on Moparts.com and commented. Read below:

1673720539914.png

1673720551934.png

1673720701482.png

i so want to put our dart on the market every time i see what things are going for at auction. keep trying to talk Jamie into selling and buying modern muscle. i'm sure she would drive modern muscle a lot more then she drives the dart. i know i love driving my mustang. get a big smile on my face every time i get behind the wheel.. the dart can be fun but the mustang just does it all better and more comfortably..:)

Even if they paid too much (most opinions here), it is a better investment than those bro's spending $$$ on NFT and crypto. If you don't know, NFT is something like ownership of a web photo, say pay $1000 for a photo of $100 bill, but digitally signed "authentic one of a kind photo". Can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
Go to one and you well see for yourself. Lots of nice cars for a good price. But there can be junk as well. You only hear of the crazy ones. I'm telling you though, Chrysler "A" body cars are starting to bring some money. Never gonna be like a "B" and "E" body for sure.
340-360 Semi-Fastback cars will surpass most B-bodies in value soon, and in fact they already are surpassing them at many auctions. Only factory Special Edition 440-426hemi B's are better. That's my opinion backed up by current sales at auction

I never thought of my car as an investment. still don't.
I call it the money pit, I lost track of how much money I've dumped in it since the late 70's. It's A LOT. and I'm not including labor.
It's willed to my baby brother, my son's are pissed ,oh well.
I'm 8 years older than my brother, he's been in love with my car since he was 8, he's 52 now.
Mecum don't get the car no matter what the price. lol My brother, then my son's in order. The paper work is signed.

I never thought of my car as an investment. still don't.
I call it the money pit, I lost track of how much money I've dumped in it since the late 70's. It's A LOT. and I'm not including labor.
It's willed to my baby brother, my son's are pissed ,oh well.
I'm 8 years older than my brother, he's been in love with my car since he was 8, he's 52 now.
Mecum don't get the car no matter what the price. lol My brother, then my son's in order. The paper work is signed.
I saw this same green Duster sell at Harrisburg Mecum last year for $49,500.

OK so just how many Mopar A bodies sold at Mecum Fl.!???? compared to the sea of "other stuff"??
Its a dog and pony show for the well heeled and the wealthy too! and a free car show for me sitting at home!

For anyone who hasn’t been to a Mecum, it is a hoot. I walk around & look at cars till I am tired, then sit down & watch the auction. I have only ever had a bidder pass once (during Covid when they didnt allow spectators). Doubtful that I ever will buy something there, but it is always a great car show.

I hope the next one sells for $100,000. That way my stuff is worth more too!
Problem with a car going across the auction blocks for that much money is every lazy couch potato with a rusting out beat up slant six flat tire non-running rotted out pile of crap is running to Craigslist and wants 25,000 for their car....

The WalMart always has someone at the exit door, checkingyour recceipt for ??????. I told her other day as I headed to the door, "ya didn't find those high $$ razor blades I hid in my sock did ya!!!?" Wife slapped me...again!!

Problem with a car going across the auction blocks for that much money is every lazy couch potato with a rusting out beat up slant six flat tire non-running rotted out pile of crap is running to Craigslist and wants 25,000 for their car....
They can want, doesn't mean you have to pay it. Let it sit and rot.

I see cars listed at high prices on craigslist. Free advertising, so just initial trolling. I saw my 1965 Dart GT 2 dr listed for $2800 around 2005 and thought of driving to see it (just 6 miles away), but didn't get around to it. Then saw on ebay with bid at $700 and 1 hour left, so figured "why not", bid $1000, changed to "reserve met" and won. Wifey was sitting beside me, encouraging me, but later fussed for years about that "junk car" just sitting. About finished now (recently painted, little more trim to install). Have other cars and just $25 once to No-op in CA.

When they delivered it to my house (hot to get my money), it had $4500 written on the windshield. They had done the lien paperwork (search for owner who abandoned it at a shop), so DMV was easy and no back fees. Parts alone were worth $1000 (273 engine, GT trim, interior, ...).

The WalMart always has someone at the exit door, checkingyour recceipt for ??????. I told her other day as I headed to the door, "ya didn't find those high $$ razor blades I hid in my sock did ya!!!?" Wife slapped me...again!!
Razor blades or eggs???

$70,000 for a 14 second Duster????? How is it mechanically? Parts? Gasoline problems? A/C? Can't even drive it in the rain or snow in the north country. Needs a dry garage to store it in. No thanks!!!!

For $50,000 I can buy a 12 second Challenger with air conditioning, a nice sound system, a backup camera, better brakes, etc. ------And a factory warrantee!!!

-
Back