Mini-starter compatibility

-
Some years ago a mechanic tried putting one of those newer small starters on my 67 GTS. It won't fit.

I'm guessing the difference is in the hardware arrangement for earlier bell housings / front cases.

I got my mini starter from 440 Source and I have it installed on a Quicktime bellhousing. Works fine and feels much stronger than the old school "big bertha" starter.

a '97 dodge dakota with a 5.2 is what you want....there are 2 mini starters that are available, one is even smaller...(97 dakota)

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

Is there a difference in torque between the two starters pictured?

They're pretty amazing. The engine cranks really fast. When I start it warm, I don't even really hear the starter. I turn the key and it fires immediately. I miss the ol' Mopar starter noise but it sure starts nice.

Funny you say that, any time I hear on old mopar giving it a go to start it reminds me of being a kid. Every car and truck my dad had was a mopar and has that same sound!

That said I also spent a fair amount of time under the car with a hammer helping the starter along :violent1: so my 67 FB is getting a mini!

Yup I use one of em dakota starters on my ol 383 in a Charger... it does come very close to the header but so far no heat soak issues. It's nice to have a very quick crank over and easy start-up for sure.

Guys,

My starter is in... the original cables (318 car) more or less reach the contacts on the new Mini starter...but I have to stress the cable a bit to get the connections on and I don't like the looks of it.

The old cables are held together at the end by what appears to be a piece of rubber..any reason why I shouldn't slice that? It would relieve some strain on the geometry and allow a more gentle curve...

Thanks for any advice...you guys are usually very kind about my novice questions. :D

Does any body have the physical size, dimension, of the smaller mini starter? I have 340 Repro manifolds and 2 1/2 TTI exhaust and drivers side exhaust pipe hits the starter. My starter from mounting face to end is 6". A smaller starter would work. TTI is closed till Jan. 2 so can't contact them. Car is 74 Duster with 318 and 727.

I’d have to crawl under there and measure it. There’s a lot of clearance because it’s so much smaller. Maybe somebody has one on their bench.

I had a dakota mini mocked up, and 68 340 manifolds do clear. Not sure about the TTI headpipes, but i cant see why not.

The problem is the exhaust pipe coming off the manifold. I was looking for size of the Dakota starter, because my mini is 6" from mounting face to end of starter. If Dakota starter is 5 1/2 " it would probably work. Manifold is not the problem unless cast wrong.

That's the first time I've seen dimensions for it, actually mine overall is about 8 3/4 where theirs is 10 1/4.

Looks like a good deal, however sometimes these are chinese copies of a denso which was the factory starter mopar used.

The cool thing is mopar sized these compact high torque starters to fit their largest gasoline offering which was the 360. This way it would fit the V6, 318, and 360 with all the same part number. Prob made it cheaper for them to just have nippondenso make one kind to fit everything. Just makes it better for us when looking in the junkyards.

No, no support housing for the gear that engages the flywheel. Unless total tight, starter will twist and grind teeth when engaging flywheel. Not for steady street use. Snout needs to engaged hole cast into bell housing to support starter nose/bearing.

At $152 I didn't think that was the answer. I'll call TTI tomorrow and see what they say. Initially they sent me wrong pipe so maybe they did again. Thanks guys for all you input, but I was just looking for the dimension of the length of the Dakota starter.

I gave a stock length 1994 dakota starter on my mockup. I can check for you maybe later tonight on the length from mating flange out. It is a factory denso.

I had a dakota mini mocked up, and 68 340 manifolds do clear. Not sure about the TTI headpipes, but i cant see why not.
the stock one with the heat shield (guess it's the first gen?) will not fit with a 68'-69' 340 exhaust manifold with the shield on

Got mine from a 90's full size for $20 at junk yard works awesome on my 68 GTS no headers.

I spoke to TTI and the Dakota starter is actually bigger than the mini starter I have. Mine is 6" where the Dakota is almost 11".

I wonder if there's a cranking difference. I have one on my 500 stroker motor as well and have issues cranking when warmed up. I think it was a 440 source mini starter.Not sure how long it is.

I wonder if there's a cranking difference. I have one on my 500 stroker motor as well and have issues cranking when warmed up. I think it was a 440 source mini starter.Not sure how long it is.
I had the same problem with one of those cheap parts store mini starters. Forever hot starting and problems. Took suggestions and went to the junkyard and bought one for 20 bucks out of a Dodge Ram. Get home cleaned it up real well with WD-40 and it's worked absolutely perfect. Never again will I buy one of those mini starstar from the parts store, might never need to the way this junkyard one is working...

Only thing that seems to go bad over time on a mini denso is motor brushes and the solenoid contactor. Easy fix to replace. Rock auto has the parts, contactor is under the little triangular cover on the front end. A buddy of mine bought a remanned mini denso remanned for a 1998 dodge dakota V8 for his 360 w headers. Said it fit great, worked fine. Duralast lifetime warranty Got it at Vatozone years ago.

-
Back