mmmmmmmmm.....scrapple!

-

homecloned

Can't re Member
Reaction score
Any fans of this Pennsylvania Dutch treat? Been eating it all my life and love it. Wife can't stand the smell so I have to make it when shes not home or out on the grill. LOL. Its basically pig parts. Everything left over but the oink. I try not to think what its made from while eating. My favorite way is to fry it in butter untill crispy.=P~

Not the most heart healthy. The hotdog thread made me think of this.

Attachments

• scrapple (Custom).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 265
  • scrapple2 (Custom).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 263
I have never had or seen any homecloned :happy10:
I may have to look for it and see what I am missing out on 8)

I get the same response from my smarter half when it comes to Spam. (Did you know they have Spicy Spam? It's made with Tobasco).

I have never had or seen any homecloned :happy10:
I may have to look for it and see what I am missing out on 8)
I prefer it over sausage anytime memike. It is mixed with corn meal. My sister in law has something similiar in Ohio but its mixed with a different meal. German decent on that.

I get the same response from my smarter half when it comes to Spam. (Did you know they have Spicy Spam? It's made with Tobasco).

Same here Revhendo. She calls it "Some parts are meat". I have watched one of those spam cook offs on TV and was pretty impressed how many ways it can be prepared.

I love it! Pan fried in butter til crispy, I eat it with ketcup or maple syrup depends on the scrapple. I used to know alot of people that made it but have lost contact with most, now I have to buy the commercial grade which is not as good as some of the home made I've had. I have a guy that does some work for me that brings me home saurkraut though....

I think it is called souse meat down here? Kind of a mystery, but I think they somehow actually use the squeel. I like it on something sweet, like a cookie or honey bun, especially the spicy stuff. It comes sliced like lunchmeat and I think (hope) you can eat it as is (it doesn't come with instructions) when you try to fry it, if the pan is not hot enough it will disolve into liquid with disturbingly identifiable pieces floating in it, yeah, I'm the only one I know who eats it.

I love it! Pan fried in butter til crispy, I eat it with ketcup or maple syrup depends on the scrapple. I used to know alot of people that made it but have lost contact with most, now I have to buy the commercial grade which is not as good as some of the home made I've had. I have a guy that does some work for me that brings me home saurkraut though....
You got it GT! Crispy so you can pick it up and eat it.
We have an Amish store here that carries Groffs. Theres deffenitally a difference.

Does it taste anything like liverwurst?

It taste like nothing else that I have had. I do like liverworst though, sliced thin with some onions on white toast.=P~

I think it is called souse meat down here? Kind of a mystery, but I think they somehow actually use the squeel. I like it on something sweet, like a cookie or honey bun, especially the spicy stuff. It comes sliced like lunchmeat and I think (hope) you can eat it as is (it doesn't come with instructions) when you try to fry it, if the pan is not hot enough it will disolve into liquid with disturbingly identifiable pieces floating in it, yeah, I'm the only one I know who eats it.
Syrup is good on it 4flats.=P~
It is probable made most places that farm pigs I would guess. Just the meal additives differ. This stuff you could eat without cooking but I wount. You have to leave this alone while cooking untill it browns on one side or you have a mess.

My wife won't touch scrapple, but she tells me about the hogs head cheese her grandma in Arkansas used to make and she liked that.

Wow, just when I thought they couldn't make spam anymore gross! Why not just skip right to the good stuff and eat bacon!

Souse is different, it's meat scraps in a jelly made from the pig meat (ASPIC) I love scrapple and have seen it made. It's basically all the meat scraps and seasonings with buckwheat or another binder. My grandparents neighbor made it about this time of the year and sold it in loaves. Great stuff, I also eat it with ketchup. Souse tastes vinegary and is ok sort of the taste as pickled pigs feet. Good with a cold beer!

I love it but haven't had any for ever. Maybe I'll make some this weekend. All it'll take is a pork roast,buckwheat ,flour, salt and pepper. Now I'm Hungry!!!!

Grew up eating it, still love it. My grandparents were farmers in Md and always got it homemade from neighbors
Used to have a cast iron skillet with about 50 years of experience on it, always put a good crunchy crust on it

-
Back