Modern style headlights

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man! can't we all just get along?... Lets talk about tail lights! I just saw these sweet led jobs...
I do think the safety card is a bit overplayed. More people have probably died in 100mph stuck accelerator Prius'. Just look at the range of OEM headlight and taillight setups over the last 50 years. All with the blessings of the wizards of smart at the department of transportation. None of those are either to dim or to bright, they are all just right.
Have a blast putting a 500hp motor on drum brakes and a 40 year old suspension with a bungee for a throttle return, but for the love of Pete don't touch your perfectly designed 40 year old headlight system!
The other topic that seems to bring out the extremists is gutting the cat on a newer car... wait! I just realized maybe they think we are actually gutting a cat. That explains a lot.
It is not only about getting dead.....some of us drive where there is some rather large 4 legged critters that love to tear your sh*t up....Like I have asked/stated before.....Dan quotes facts....things that are not someones perception.....the arguments that are ALWAYS presented are opinions....and some folks just can not accept the fact that THEY are WRONG....
I don't think I have ever seen Dan state not to touch your 40 year old headlights....just the opposite....more than once I have seen him say your ride, do as you please.....

oh man! can't we all just get along?... Lets talk about tail lights! I just saw these sweet led jobs...
I do think the safety card is a bit overplayed. More people have probably died in 100mph stuck accelerator Prius'. Just look at the range of OEM headlight and taillight setups over the last 50 years. All with the blessings of the wizards of smart at the department of transportation. None of those are either to dim or to bright, they are all just right.
Have a blast putting a 500hp motor on drum brakes and a 40 year old suspension with a bungee for a throttle return, but for the love of Pete don't touch your perfectly designed 40 year old headlight system!
The other topic that seems to bring out the extremists is gutting the cat on a newer car... wait! I just realized maybe they think we are actually gutting a cat. That explains a lot.

How the hell do you "over play the safety card"?! I have a wife and 2yr old daughter that I want as safe as possible when they are on the road. There's a couple *** clowns in here that don't seem to appreciate the safety if others and I know damn well to stay away from them at all costs now.

It is not only about getting dead.....some of us drive where there is some rather large 4 legged critters that love to tear your sh*t up....Like I have asked/stated before.....Dan quotes facts....things that are not someones perception.....the arguments that are ALWAYS presented are opinions....and some folks just can not accept the fact that THEY are WRONG....
I don't think I have ever seen Dan state not to touch your 40 year old headlights....just the opposite....more than once I have seen him say your ride, do as you please.....

And those four legged critters have a habit of coming out of no where just to f*** up your ****.

The older I get, the more I realize the headlights I have, no matter what I own, are wholly inadequate from seeing those four legged critters when they attempt suicide, especially on some of the roads I have to drive around here.

I'll put this out there: I like to protect myself, the people with me, the people around me, and the ride I'm in. I'm not gonna risk my life because DOT seems to think mediocre is acceptable and I'm not gonna risk the lives of my loved ones because I can't f***ing see. And I'm not gonna risk the thousands of dollars and hundreds, maybe even thousands, of man hours I have in a project because someone is trying to sell me something on the internet or on TV.

Silverstars have been talked about in this thread. I tried 'em in Sarah's '87 5th Ave. She loved 'em. I hated 'em. Overpriced junk, scattering light all over the road, blowing out every two weeks. She even hit two deer using the damn things.

I was looking at the 7" lamps,H4 bulbs and wire harness w/ relays from classic industries. Anybody have any experience with this setup ?? The factory sealed beams on my car suck !!!

I would like to thank Dan for the concise info he has provided people that have that kind of info and provide it to others are what this forum is for.
Having a member who takes the time to answer a question with this much info is a great thing and a real asset to the forum.

I was looking at the 7" lamps,H4 bulbs and wire harness w/ relays from classic industries. Anybody have any experience with this setup ?? The factory sealed beams on my car suck !!!

I'm pretty sure those toys, cause that's what they are, from Classic Industries, would suck even more.

I do think the safety card is a bit overplayed. More people have probably died in 100mph stuck accelerator Prius'.

Nope. The traffic crash, injury, and death rates are all way higher during hours of darkness than during hours of daylight, and the biggest reason why, by a huge margin, is inadequate seeing. That's a fact, not a guess or an assumption.

for the love of Pete don't touch your perfectly designed 40 year old headlight system!

You're letting your imagination run away with you. Look carefully thru this thread. Do you see anyone advocating the use of 1973-spec headlamps?

Didn't read through the entire thread because I know these threads normally spiral into a technical nightmare.

But I personally bought a set of the crystal diamond lights with H4 bulbs over a year ago and they look good,were a direct swap, work good an are just as bright as the originals. No issues to date with them.

I can see just as fine with them as the original style for what it counts. Mostly did the swap for the more upgraded modern look.

Not to say that others are wrong with what they may have mentioned.....just saying that they work fine for me.

Here some pictures.

I didn't say it's not more dangerous to drive at night, my point is how many people have died because they used silvertars and not assrams or whatever you sell?

Uh, yeah, there have been some posts here of people who upgraded their pre-73 lights that you called out. So instead of polietly saying, "yeah that's better, but there are even better choices out there." you go off on how illegal their lights are and the government knows best, it's a fact, don't assume they don't.
Your aguring with someone who knows more about lighting than you could even imagine

There are much better harness products out there than that painless stuff if that's what you are looking to buy.

I'm pretty sure those toys, cause that's what they are, from Classic Industries, would suck even more.

could you please explain your opinion ??? I don't wanna spend the money if they truly are junk. seems like it would be direct bolt in, harness and all.. thanks

I would HIGHLY recommend setting up the relays for your headlights. Whether you buy a harness/relay kit, or make your own (it isn't that hard), you will see a MAJOR difference. That upgrade provides the voltage necessary to power your headlights instead of losing a significant amount of power with the factory wiring (which is undersized and passes through the firewall, the headlamp switch and back out to your lights). This has been discussed many times on this list and there are some good recommendations on how to complete it if you do the search. If you can't see purchasing the Cibie's headlights that Dan recommends, then get a good quality set of halogen headlights. I know I use the GE heavy duty sealed beams. With the upgrade of relays and halogens, they put out as much if not more light then my newer cars.

They really don't know Dan's background on the subject. It's funny watching them attempt to argue with him.

It is indeed entertaining.....especially given the fact that Dan has stated no one needs to follow his advice....which is exactly what he is giving.....ADVICE....

I absolutely know his background. I'm not arguing specifics about lights, more about saftey and the ability of governmnet to know what they are doing.
I'm also making fun of the sheep...

really? so you like all wear helmets when you drive and wear 5 point harness? Cause that would be much safer. Actually why even put your kids in a car at all, high speed rail would be much safer. Come on, even if we could just save one life isn't it worth doing?

^Speaking of sheep^

Haha. Real funny. I'm so glad you take the safety others so lightly. I'm guessing by the way you speak of the matter, you do not yet have a family. I'm sure your entire perspective on the matter will change when you do.

I hit a 1000 pound 8x7 bull elk at 70 mph in a Chevy Corsica. At least my lights were 100% approved by the DOT and the OTHER drivers were all safe.

About 9 years ago I was driving home at 11PM after dropping 3-4 boys off at a Scout camp, (wouldn't you know it, the very last one for my youngest Eagle as he was turning 18 soon) 55 MPH on a divided highway in a 97 Dodge Caravan.

Like a stop action frame-by-frame cartoon I see:
Something brown left front
BAM! Something suspended over the hood for an instant
Then nothing.

Deer...dead
Van...just over $5000 damage
Me...OK

Talk about bad factory headlights! Those were some of the worst, never saw it coming.

I have kids, both here and in heaven, ages 20 to 7. I'd have to guess you are a new parent, if you put this much worry and care into other people's headlights I'm surprised your kids aren't wrapped in bubble wrap in a safe room somewhere. You know what kills kids? Millions of them? Doctors. Supposedly the experts, most knowledgeable among us. They have all kinds of facts and the government stands behind them and the dead kids in their wake make Hitler seem like an amateur.

I have kids, both here and in heaven, ages 20 to 7. I'd have to guess you are a new parent, if you put this much worry and care into other people's headlights I'm surprised your kids aren't wrapped in bubble wrap in a safe room somewhere. You know what kills kids? Millions of them? Doctors. Supposedly the experts, most knowledgeable among us. They have all kinds of facts and the government stands behind them and the dead kids in their wake make Hitler seem like an amateur.

I have my first biological child and have cared for more infant foster children than I can count. Most of my driving is done at night, so yes I do place a lot of concern on the subject. I'm sorry you don't. I would think that someone who has lost children would be more concerned.

Say hey, any of y'all ever get that "I stopped participating in this thread at just the right time…geeze, what a trainwreck!" feeling?

Just asking.
redbeard.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back