Modern style headlights

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think they look good

Attachments

• 934600_10151558480547781_836248015_n.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 562
Just a word of caution... I put the aftermarket 7" housings in my 67 about 5 years ago.
Yes the wire connector for these fancy little bulbs is different and yes you will need to upgrade the wiring with relays or you will fry the stock headlight switch. that switch and the wiring going to the original sealed beams is not adequate for the amount of current these little bulbs will draw.
Now for a unforeseen issue... The original sealed beam is not as deep as the aftermarket assemblies so it fits in the headlight house with no problem.
The aftermarket fixtures you purchase may be so deep that they crush the wiring behind the bulb against the headlight house.
While this scenario hasn't happened on my car yet, I do predict that the wire insulation will chaff against the sheet metal and create a short circuit eventually.
In a more perfect world we could simply cut away a portion of the headlight house sheet metal and gain the ability to replace a bulb from under the hood like some modern vehicles. Not gonna happen with these Chryslers. Cutting an opening in this headlight house will only expose the fixture to the wheel well and we don't want to do that.

Just a word of caution... I put the aftermarket 7" housings in my 67 about 5 years ago.
Yes the wire connector for these fancy little bulbs is different and yes you will need to upgrade the wiring with relays or you will fry the stock headlight switch. that switch and the wiring going to the original sealed beams is not adequate for the amount of current these little bulbs will draw.
Now for a unforeseen issue... The original sealed beam is not as deep as the aftermarket assemblies so it fits in the headlight house with no problem.
The aftermarket fixtures you purchase may be so deep that they crush the wiring behind the bulb against the headlight house.
While this scenario hasn't happened on my car yet, I do predict that the wire insulation will chaff against the sheet metal and create a short circuit eventually.
In a more perfect world we could simply cut away a portion of the headlight house sheet metal and gain the ability to replace a bulb from under the hood like some modern vehicles. Not gonna happen with these Chryslers. Cutting an opening in this headlight house will only expose the fixture to the wheel well and we don't want to do that.

so make a little screw on cover or put a rubber flap over it

Where is Slant Six Dan? Probably got tired of having to recite the same things over and over....I can say I was looking at putting aftermarket headlights in our Explorer. After talking to Dan he changed my mind. I went with a set of Ford lenses, a good pair of bulbs and relays and am more than happy with them.

Where is Slant Six Dan? Probably got tired of having to recite the same things over and over....I can say I was looking at putting aftermarket headlights in our Explorer. After talking to Dan he changed my mind. I went with a set of Ford lenses, a good pair of bulbs and relays and am more than happy with them.

i told him about the thread... are the ford lenses 7" round?

That's what I was thinking. I saw him post in a thread while this one was at full heat. I almost wanted to PM him to get him in here but I figured, as you said, he probably didn't wanna recite this for the millionth time.

and thanks 805moparkid

I remember a member on here used a late model Wrangler lens and it fit like factory into the headlight bucket. no trimming at all or anything. can't remember who though. they had a gunmetal grey scamp

There are lots of ways to go wrong here -- most of what's on the market in headlamp "upgrades" is junk, illegal, dangerous, or all three. That includes all the "Euro Diamond Halo" type units. See this post and this one. Also see articles on Allpar (with lousy photos but sound info) here and here.

Nutshell version: Put in relays and good headlamps. No "HID kits", no blue bulbs.

If you're thinking of upgrading to replaceable-bulb headlamps, shop very carefully because most of what's on the market is garbage, and even if you disregard the off-brand trash all over the internet and look only at reputable-brand lamps (Hella, Cibie, Bosch, Koito), the range of performance among them is very large.

There is exactly one good, safe, legal, cost-effective HID headlamp currently manufactured in the 7" round size format, built around the Hella BiXenon projector used in various late-model Mercedes, Audis, Porsches, etc. Very very expensive, about $1400/pair.

"HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps (any kit, any headlamp, any vehicle -- no matter whether the "HID kit" and the headlight units are sold together or separately) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See here.

There are a few different 7" round LED headlamps on the market. The Truck-Lite or GE ones (same lamp, different box) cost around $600/pair and they're OK. The new 701C from Peterson looks to be very promising; I've got a pair on the way for evaluation. The 8700 Evolution from JW Speaker is quite a good performer and it is well made of good quality materials. Spendy, though, around $400+ each.

Whatever headlamps you wind up with must be aimed correctly.

(Other posts to see: this one and this one)

Where is Slant Six Dan? Probably got tired of having to recite the same things over and over

Yeah, I don't post much any more; my thoughts and opinions are accessible via the search function or PM.
redbeard.gif

fez440 green demon is just what I had in mind with also blue halos for accent lighting at cruisins to match my gauges and interior lighting! I was also planing on wiring in realays to take the amperage load off the switch and bulkhead connector.
I was looking at these on ebay http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=330724019189#

Seller pics don't show or even suggest where the halo lighting comes from.
You might find that part of the assembly doesn't fit into your head light house either. Good luck

I guess the Halo's would be nice yet, I have taken a different route where my headlights are Halogen and the amber parking lights are also the directionals which are enclosed inside the headlight itself. In the early evening the headlights turn amber in the parking light position. The Barracuda grill houses driving lights which are blue but turn to white light when on. I'm not really ol'school or new school, yet I am low key when it comes to being stopped by authorities. Here's a photo and you can see the amber bulb in the passenger side headlight..
http://s444.photobucket.com/user/joeymadden/media/Cars/66016.jpg.html

That's cool! Where did you find those?

got a link to at 1400 a pair lights?

They're here, can get 'em with chromelike or paintable-black bezel. Also comes in a less expensive halogen version here.

(for those wanting "accent" lighting but who don't want the unsafe "halo" garbage, get reputable-brand (Cibie, etc.) replaceable-bulb conversion headlamps with a "city light" parking lamp. This is a small 5w bulb that sticks through the lamp's reflector into the lamp itself, a couple of inches away from the main headlight bulb, via a socket and grommet. "City light" is a common casual term for this. The official term is "front position lamp" or "parking lamps". It is only a parking lamp, not capable of producing an effective or legal daytime running light or turn signal function no matter what bulb is installed. Electrical connection is by two standard 1/4" spade terminals. Ground one, and run the other to the vehicle's parking lamp feed. The city light illuminates the whole headlamp in a "pilot light" sort of fashion; this makes for large-area parking lamps or nifty "hey lookit me" car show lights, and if a headlight bulb ever burns out, oncoming traffic still sees you as a double-track vehicle. Outside North America, parking lamps must emit white light, the North American style amber ones are not allowed. In North America, parking lamps may emit white or amber light, and these white ones built into the headlamp are a legal form of parking lamp in the USA and Canada. This type of parking lamp is not used on vehicles with hidden or pop-up headlamps.

Without a better picture, I'm betting that those are late-model Harley-Davidson projector headlights, introduced in 2006 for touring models in the Part's and Accessories catalog, later to be factory installed on CVO bikes beginning in, I believe, 2008. I think #67700033 would be the same.

BINGO!

:burnout:

Have the smaller version of this
https://www.streetrodhq.com/shop/de...D_HEADLIGHT_Xe7R_7_ROUND_BIFUNCTION_TWIN_PACK
on my bike, can't say enough good things about it. Have heard a ton of less than favorable things in regards to halo lamps....

says discontinued...

Really? I see a order now button here....

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/Headlights-x6024.htm

Truth of the matter is the smaller version on this lamp throws a ton of light. Optics seemed great to me. With how it was aimed I never got flashed by traffic unless it was on high beam.

Might have noticed that I am speaking in past tense here. Because on my way home from Spokane County Raceway last night the headlight broke for the third time. Last two were under a warranty. They claim that the headlight is very durable.....they lied......it has a hood of sorts that allows the lamp to be both hi/low beams. Thanks to a solid mounted 110" V-twin's vibrations the mechanism that operates this hood breaks free.

I have found a bucket that I like for the bike. I will be buying a Cibie lamp from http://danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html and using whatever bulb Dan suggests along with a relay.

Someone asked if the Explorer had 7" round lamps. It does not...and you probably knew that and put forth a very lame attempt at being a smart ***. The point of my earlier post is that if you buy good quality lenses, put a good bulb in said lens and see to it that it is indeed getting as much voltage as it can the results will be very satisfactory. A while back I put a set of relays and bulbs that Dan suggested in my 02 Cheby pickemup (no, it does not have 7"round headlights) and also did the hi/low beam trick. When he hi beams are on and I switched on my Hella off road lamps the off road lamps were barely noticeable.....the oem headlights threw that much light. To each there own.....

Truth of the matter is the smaller version on this lamp throws a ton of light. Optics seemed great to me. With how it was aimed I never got flashed by traffic unless it was on high beam.
Might have noticed that I am speaking in past tense here. Because on my way home from Spokane County Raceway last night the headlight broke for the third time. Last two were under a warranty. They claim that the headlight is very durable.....they lied.

A bunch of different lamps are pictured on the vendor's site you linked. At the top they show the (out of production) ValeoSylvania XE7. That was a very good performer, and it was mechanically pretty robust, built around a Valeo BiXenon projector used in a variety of high-end vehicles as original equipment. But they made some strange packaging choices so major surgery was often required (hack the headlight buckets) to make it fit. There was also an XE7R and smaller XE5R in this family. Those used reflector optics instead of projector. Beam performance was OK, not as good as the projectors, and the high/low hood wasn't as robust as the high/low cutoff shield in the projector version. These "R" versions, also no longer made, aren't shown on the linked site.

Next, under the weird heading "Xenon-HID Sealed Beam" we see the Sylvania Xenarc X1010 auxiliary low beam set. Out of production for years. Never very good, but can be made somewhat less bad by replacing the nonstandard bulb (bluer but dimmer) with a standard bulb.

Below that, the "Xenon-HID XP6024 Projector fits H6024 and X6024", which is a headlite-shaped toy made in Taiwan by GiantLight (see third item here). If you get ones that work out of the box, they give passable performance until they fall apart. They also make the car look like it needs a bra. The same Giantlight company makes a range of toys shaped like LED headlights, too.

Below that, the "Xenon-HID X6024 Sealed Beam headlight kit", which was a ridiculously lousy product made in China by a guy who chose the English name "Clutch", puttering in his basement workshop. I'm not making this up. The guy had absolutely no knowledge, equipment, or business making headlamps, but in 2000 a Mexican fast-buck artist in Canada managed to con Sylvania into thinking he could supply them with a complete turnkey range of HID headlamps in standard sealed beam sizes. Sylvania wanted this product to get more people experienced with HID headlamps on the aftermarket side so they would buy more HID headlamps on the OE side when they bought new cars. It backfired spectacularly; the packaging was sexy but the product was garbage. Its performance was much poorer than an aged sealed beam, the lamps didn't fit properly, lenses turned yellow and fell off, etc. The whole range (large and small round, large and small rectangular, plus the X1010 aux low beams) was quietly discontinued around 2005 and remaining stock made its way to other fast-buck artists including brightheadlights-hid and suvlights.com, where it fit right in with those vendors' other Chinese garbage they were selling.

The point of my earlier post is that if you buy good quality lenses, put a good bulb in said lens and see to it that it is indeed getting as much voltage as it can the results will be very satisfactory.

Yup, usually so. Even a vehicle with lousy headlamps (for which no better ones are available) will let you see better if the headlamps are in perfect condition, aimed correctly, and equipped with good bulbs fed by good wiring.

To each there own.....

Usually, but in the case of a vehicle's exterior lights we're talking about life safety equipment. Modifications that result in objectively unsafe lighting affect everyone on the road, not just the vehicle owner/modifier. And objective measurement is the only way to answer the question of safe/unsafe; peering at the lights or going for a drive and saying "Yep, looks great to me!" doesn't cut it.

A bunch of different lamps are pictured on the vendor's site you linked. At the top they show the (out of production) ValeoSylvania XE7. That was a very good performer, and it was mechanically pretty robust, built around a Valeo BiXenon projector used in a variety of high-end vehicles as original equipment. But they made some strange packaging choices so major surgery was often required (hack the headlight buckets) to make it fit. There was also an XE7R and smaller XE5R in this family. Those used reflector optics instead of projector. Beam performance was OK, not as good as the projectors, and the high/low hood wasn't as robust as the high/low cutoff shield in the projector version. These "R" versions, also no longer made, aren't shown on the linked site.

Next, under the weird heading "Xenon-HID Sealed Beam" we see the Sylvania Xenarc X1010 auxiliary low beam set. Out of production for years. Never very good, but can be made somewhat less bad by replacing the nonstandard bulb (bluer but dimmer) with a standard bulb.

Below that, the "Xenon-HID XP6024 Projector fits H6024 and X6024", which is a headlite-shaped toy made in Taiwan by GiantLight (see third item here). If you get ones that work out of the box, they give passable performance until they fall apart. They also make the car look like it needs a bra. The same Giantlight company makes a range of toys shaped like LED headlights, too.

Below that, the "Xenon-HID X6024 Sealed Beam headlight kit", which was a ridiculously lousy product made in China by a guy who chose the English name "Clutch", puttering in his basement workshop. I'm not making this up. The guy had absolutely no knowledge, equipment, or business making headlamps, but in 2000 a Mexican fast-buck artist in Canada managed to con Sylvania into thinking he could supply them with a complete turnkey range of HID headlamps in standard sealed beam sizes. Sylvania wanted this product to get more people experienced with HID headlamps on the aftermarket side so they would buy more HID headlamps on the OE side when they bought new cars. It backfired spectacularly; the packaging was sexy but the product was garbage. Its performance was much poorer than an aged sealed beam, the lamps didn't fit properly, lenses turned yellow and fell off, etc. The whole range (large and small round, large and small rectangular, plus the X1010 aux low beams) was quietly discontinued around 2005 and remaining stock made its way to other fast-buck artists including brightheadlights-hid and suvlights.com, where it fit right in with those vendors' other Chinese garbage they were selling.

Yup, usually so. Even a vehicle with lousy headlamps (for which no better ones are available) will let you see better if the headlamps are in perfect condition, aimed correctly, and equipped with good bulbs fed by good wiring.

Usually, but in the case of a vehicle's exterior lights we're talking about life safety equipment. Modifications that result in objectively unsafe lighting affect everyone on the road, not just the vehicle owner/modifier. And objective measurement is the only way to answer the question of safe/unsafe; peering at the lights or going for a drive and saying "Yep, looks great to me!" doesn't cut it.

Did not look all that closely at the page I linked to.was in a hurry to go get the bike off the trailer. And I should have finished my to each his own comment.....

To me lighting is one of those perception things. A friend has a small set of led lights from
http://www.rigidindustries.com/
on his boat. Do throw a boat load of light? Sure do.....is it clean light? Sure is. Is there any sort of pattern to it? Hell no. For lights on a boat that goes out at night they are great. For anything else, pretty useless. Seems like most folks, myself included are impressed by nothing but the amount of light something throws. Go back several years and I was into off road trucks. The higher the candle power the lights were the brighter they were. Did not matter that all it was was an obnoxiously bright white light that had absolutely no focus to them what so ever. They were bright......and that is what mattered.
But for me, anymore the "brightness" is just a gimmick.
I almost always laugh when these threads show up. Folks will rant and rave about there "perception" of cheap hid kits/angle eyes etc and Dan just recites simple facts. And people still argue.....how does one argue with the facts? Sun goes down, it gets dark. Sun comes up, it gets light. Turn a light switch on, the lights come on, turn it off and they go off. Pretty simple stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back