Moog Ball Joints Worth the Price?

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
I'm placing an order today to freshen' up my fron suspension while I install my front discs. Are Moog ball joints worth the price? I need to replace the uppers. I'm using smaller ball joints since it's a non-modified KH 4-piston setup.

Raybesto has service grade joint for $16 bucks and the Moog's are $45. Are they worth $30 bucks a piece more? Either way, Rockauto has the best prices I've found so far.

Go Raybestos. Put the savings towards something else.

Somewhere along the line I seem to remember someone saying Moog has changed hands,or is not the same Moog. Something along those lines.

On a side note,check out some C-body (Cordoba,Fury,Monaco,New Yorker) 11/16" tie rods and adjusting sleeves. Pretty cool upgrade,and bolts right on. Strengthens the front end up a bit.

Somewhere along the line I seem to remember someone saying Moog has changed hands,or is not the same Moog. Something along those lines.

On a side note,check out some C-body (Cordoba,Fury,Monaco,New Yorker) 11/16" tie rods and adjusting sleeves. Pretty cool upgrade,and bolts right on. Strengthens the front end up a bit.

Thanks for the feedback - I want to repalce the tie rod ends and sleeves eventually. As for the tie rod sleeves, anyone know of a kit that replaced the adjusting sleeves with al or steel tubes? I would think this would be a lot stiffer - I may make some when the time comes.

Oh and I forgot to mention the Raybestos are "service" grade as opposed to "professional" grade. What ever that is worth, I dunno, apparently $30.

Thanks for the feedback - I want to repalce the tie rod ends and sleeves eventually. As for the tie rod sleeves, anyone know of a kit that replaced the adjusting sleeves with al or steel tubes? I would think this would be a lot stiffer - I may make some when the time comes.

The adjusting sleeves are steel.
I believe Just Suspension,Firm Feel,ect,have alum adj sleeves.

Raybestos suspension is what Spicer was re-branded as. The professional grade should be the same as the old Spicer, the service grade would be your cheap offshore stuff. Moog was bought by Federal Mogul, but that was about 10-12 years ago.

Raybestos suspension is what Spicer was re-branded as. The professional grade should be the same as the old Spicer, the service grade would be your cheap offshore stuff. Moog was bought by Federal Mogul, but that was about 10-12 years ago.

Okay, so either way I'm paying $45+ per joint then, beacuse Raybesto's pro grade is $46. I suppose then I shall go with Moog and be done with the order.

Several years ago I rebuilt the front end on a truck I used to own(80s GM) and went with the cheap offshore stuff.30k miles later I was replacing about half the parts again,this time with the Moog stuff.You get what you pay for and it's not much fun doing the job the second time to replace the cheap stuff.

If you're only driving your car a few times a year you could save the money towards something else but if you drive it regularly,you're throwing your money away going with the cheap junk parts.

I'm going all Moog Everything on my car through RockAuto, $450 to my door and not thinking twice. Should be checking out that shopping cart in two weeks.

Someone I trust did Moog Everything on his 73 Scamp's front suspension ten years ago. He drove his car regularly for 8 years. Two years ago his daily went boobies up and has driven the Scamp daily since with zero issues so far.

My uncle is actually the one who convinced me to go Moog; the Scamp buddy just re-affirmed my plan to do so. Whether Moog was owned by someone else or not at the time, my Uncle has run a complete Moog set-up in his 68 Camaro since 1993, with many miles since and no problems.

Maybe that's why Moog is known as "The Problem Solver"?

Here's a test, hold up a Raybestos stock-replacement Idler arm and a Moog Idler arm together and tell me which one you want to use? The $20-30 difference suddenly seems mute.

Good luck man!

Some time ago there was discussion that someone bought some Moog ?? bushings ?? and they were made in INDIA

I'm placing an order today to freshen' up my fron suspension while I install my front discs. Are Moog ball joints worth the price?

No. Moog is a Federal-Mogul brand, and FedMog has been aggressively taking money out of their parts for over a decade.

Raybesto has service grade joint for $16 bucks

Can't imagine liking to do ball joint R&R so much that I would buy cheap junk parts, but if R&Ring ball joints floats yer boat, go for it.

Before you decide, see here.

I havent heard anything about them being bought out..... I was pricing them out too and Nigel said ...."is it worth ending up in the ditch for the money you save??" I havent done it yet, but Im gonna and I bet you will be glad you did.

I just took a look at the Moog we have in stock here in the store, and every one I looked at said "Hencho en EUA" on the box.

Hencho en EUA =Made in USA....
thats an interesting article slantsixdan. I tried getting in touch with Just suspension as I am gonna re-do the complete front end in my car and I was thinking about a "kit" but I wanted to make sure I got good quality hardware......never got a reply from them and Mancini's was the only 1 to offer a kit with Moog components....shipping was outrageous to....almost $100 or something like that. Im getting everything individually....

Just did the uppers and lowers on my duster last spring went with Moog..:thumleft::thumleft:

The spanish was the most legible on the boxes. In Canada retail packaging has to be bilingual, but more and more we're seeing tri-lingual (english, french & spanish).

I don't know how bad the price difference might be between a kit and buying piecemeal, but the local Advance Auto in my neck of the woods carries Moog parts. I looked up to see what parts they had and think I could pretty much put together the bigger pieces of a front end (upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower bushings, and tie rod ends) for around the same price as a kit, no shipping either.

i would go for the moog stuff also they are lifetime warranty also sell them at carquest stores

I don't know how bad the price difference might be between a kit and buying piecemeal, but the local Advance Auto in my neck of the woods carries Moog parts. I looked up to see what parts they had and think I could pretty much put together the bigger pieces of a front end (upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower bushings, and tie rod ends) for around the same price as a kit, no shipping either.
just a note our local advance offers 10 percent discount for service members retired or active or even had served

Moog; Advanced, Napa, just takes 3 days to get them from the warehouse, And never replace it again.

moog are usually good, but that article ssdan posted is rather interesting...after reading that id use just suspension stuff...

Before you decide, see here.

Interesting. That article sold me on the JUST SUSPENSION ball joints.

Unfortunately there's no way I can afford their complete kit though. I can't spend $160 on a pitman arm.

The Just Suspension upper ball joints and lower right/left ball joints (for 73 control arms/spindles) ran me $170 with free shipping.

Everything Moog through RockAuto was $350 with shipping (and PST 1.03" TB's w/ Poly Seals & clips was $250 shipped; no shocks bought yet but I'm looking at Hotchkis Bilsteins for $400, totaling approx. $1200 for a nice cruiser set-up ).

Interesting. That article sold me on the JUST SUSPENSION ball joints.

Unfortunately there's no way I can afford their complete kit though. I can't spend $160 on a pitman arm.

The upper ball joints and lower right/left ball joints (for 73 control arms/spindles) ran me $170 with free shipping.

I went with MOOG anyhow, I haven't really found a compelling reason not to but I have read complaints about pst and just suspension kits - though I've heard much praise for those kits too.

Live and learn, thanks for all the feedback everyone!

-
Back