Mopar 418 build.

-
Will the engine run? Certainly. And your cylinder heads will be all done at about 4,600 rpm.

If you looking to build 375 hp engine they'll be fine.

I have a 72 340 that has been bored 040. It needs pistons and crank work so I decided to buy the 418 stroker kit. It will be around 9 to 1 compression and mild street cam. I have 750 edelbrock on alum intake and headers. Just trying to build a nice street engine. NO racing .

makes no since to have all thone extra cubes and then put those plug heads on top so it can't breathe..obviously it will run fine and make great torque but man I'd hate to leave all that hp on side. If money is a concern I'd understand

makes no since to have all thone extra cubes and then put those plug heads on top so it can't breathe..obviously it will run fine and make great torque but man I'd hate to leave all that hp on side. If money is a concern I'd understand

Money is relevant. I am a 66 year old disabled combat veteran on a fixed income. Big HP numbers are not what I am after. High torque numbers is fine with me.Just having fun.

Money is relevant. I am a 66 year old disabled combat veteran on a fixed income. Big HP numbers are not what I am after. High torque numbers is fine with me.Just having fun.
Then, yes, it will work fine and be fun. All the other comments are correct, but if you just want a torque motor, it will be that!

Nothing wrong with your plan. You'll have the power and torque of a stock 440 in a smaller package.

Not to mention that it will be a whole lot easier/cheaper to pull the heads and have them reworked later on, as money allows, then it would be to adress the rotating assembly

Will stock 72 J heads be ok on mild 418 stroker?
Sure,you will make a whole bunch of torque,the engine will respond real good and you will be able to destroy tires at will i cant see anything being not ok with that:)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Does anyone have any thoughts about what cam to buy? I have looked at a bunch and still cant make up my mind.

I'd get with Hughes Engines they are Mopar guys and will get you the right cam . Talk to Tim and you will be happy as long as you give him your combo and intended use

From what I understand that you want a 268 from comp or voodoo but you could go 275 if you want a little more.

I was looking at the Comp 268 but was wondering if it would work good with my combination. I have AC and power steering too. I have GM 200r overdrive trans with 4.10 gears.

Generally a cam in a 408 especially with poor flowing heads for the size of the engine the cam is gonna actually a size or two smaller. And a 268 is a good middle of the road cam for 360 in between mild and wild.
268 would be mild in your combo but If you want tame you could go one step down.

When I picked a cam for my 400 bronco it's gonna have 4bbl headers and plan on some head work which will incluled pocket porting but it isn't on the road yet. It would be the same bore and stroke if I bored it out 0.060" as your engine. I knew I'm not gonna race my bronco and wouldn't see over 4000 rpms much so I pick Comps 256 cam I knew I could of gonna up 2 or 3 steps without effecting bottom end too much so in powerband perspective it's all gain no loss but even if I made 40 hp on top to me it wasn't worth it if I even loss a half an mpg but in a car I definitely would of went bigger.

I was looking at the Comp 268 but was wondering if it would work good with my combination. I have AC and power steering too. I have GM 200r overdrive trans with 4.10 gears.

im running a 268 comp cam in my 408 (massaged J heads with 2.02 valves)
my dyno sheet starts at 2892 RPM...at which point that engine is pushing out 442 foot pounds of torque which climbs to 470 by 4000 RPM and stays above 400 ft/lbs untill readline at 5500 RPM (stock rockers and rockershafts, plus, that about the operating range of the cam)

with 3.23 gears that car will roast those N50s all day long

273 thanks for your input. I am like you I know I am giving up a lot of Hp on top but that's not really what I want. just a smooth engine that will idle good with the ac on. I know about the Ford 400m engine.they make a ton of torque.

diymirage those are impressive numbers for torque. I wasn't expecting it to be that high but I will sure take it. Does the 268 cam have a good idle to it? What kind of horsepower did your engine make? It sounds to me like I am going to like mine better than I thought.

243 HP at 2896 RPM and climbing to 300 H by 3400RPM, 400 HP by 4627 and 423 HP by redline 3-4-16
idles just fine

(still running BFGs in that video, but it does the same to the N-50s I mentioned earlier)

a few more specs, compression ratio is 9.0 to 1
the intake is a weiand action plus
carburetor is a preform 750 with mechanical secondaries
it does have an A/C compressor hooked up (no lines) and powersteering as well (though I can easily steer it with the throttle

I'm sure Mike massaged the heads and intake some aswell

Nothing wrong with your plan. You'll have the power and torque of a stock 440 in a smaller package.

Exactly. And since he's in the process of rebuilding it. The added costs of a cast crank stroker kit is not a whole lot. And the Added HP/TQ vs Added Costs vs Streetablity make it a great value.

Strokers soak up cam. A comp 268 will act like a one smaller sized cam in a 340.

IMHO a 268 will be fine. IIRC, there is an old thread on FABO of a stroker with a 268 cam and dyno numbers with various carbs. Red in red 68 barracuda fastback and Robinson was his last name I think.

-
Back