Mopar R1 block

-
It was one way of dragging her to car shows, building this car for her. Plus it had the added Bonus of laying a tremendous guilt trip on her, when it comes to putting my car back together next.
Can you say 9 second street car. At least that’s the goal.

Ahhhhh...marriage and guilt trips!!!! Perfect!

Is that an original 71 V-Code Wing car ?
I wish it was, though I’m not sure I would have drove it all over for 15 years like I have.
It’s originally a 383 2 barrel car. I bought with a 440 4 barrel. I sort of blew the engine, and like the bionic man I made it stronger, faster. I built a fresh date code correct 440
I wanted it to be as near correct as possible sorta, for a 71 R/T car that meant put a six pack on it, as you couldn’t get a 440 4 barrel in a 71 R/T only a 440 six pack.
So over the years I’ve made it more and more correct, and tried to hide the improvements. Some things like headers you can’t. I had the car running and driving super nice, and it was time for paint and to make it ours. I stripped the car down to nothing, and am putting it all back together with a few more improvements, like a Borgeson gearbox kit, as I never cared for Chrysler no feel steering.
It’s a near perfect clone in some ways. Plus it has run 11s with 3.91 gears and drag radials with this engine as is.
It’s actually an ex drag car put back on the street.

I had a friend with a 71 challenger RT convertible 446 pack car. The car that they weren’t supposed to be built. But sure enough it had the right Vin and fender tag

I had a friend with a 71 challenger RT convertible 446 pack car. The car that they weren’t supposed to be built. But sure enough it had the right Vin and fender tag
Kind of my dream car. I’d probably give my left nut for one.
My 1st grade teacher took me to the Chicago auto show in 1970
When I left with her from school, to spend the night at her fiancés glass tower apartment downtown, it was in her 70 Challenger convertible B5 blue, and blue interior white top. It was new.
I’ve always had an attraction to a Challenger, and prefer the look of the 71 better.

Same guy had an AAR Cuda same color as yours with 24,000 original miles, a panther pink T/A challenger ..didn’t have the original motor, 70 Challenger RT/SE 440 with houndstooth interior it was Brown as well, he had a lot of cars.

Last edited:
Here’s my wife’s car I’m about done doing an amateur restoration on.
Had to hear it today, so went back to the shop today.
It starts like this in any temp, and is a great running 440

I can't tell from the lighting in the video but what color is it?

I can't tell from the lighting in the video but what color is it?

It’s not correct for the year. It’s a ruby red. Which mopar offered a variation in 65-67 and again around 2012-2014
It’s PPG Deltron base and mid coat, with House of Kolor Kosmic show clear.
It’s a tri coat, it has a base coat, and a mid coat with candy, pearl, toners in a clear, and the final coat of clear.
I think Graveyard carz use PPG dbc Deltron on the exterior of their cars.

CED34117-46E3-4906-9E0F-2548AD2FA80A.jpeg
15B645BE-8688-465D-AC7F-00021FB16DE0.jpeg
Ha... I thought it was brown. Lol
Nope

^^You sure do go through a lot of tires LOLOL^^
It’s time to call the tire recycling people.
I usually get rid of most of them in September. They were not taking tires this year. It’s a problem.

Trying to find someone that has some knowledge of the Mopar R1 race block?
Curious if they had inherent problems?
What can they usually bored to?
2 or 4 bolt main?
Would it make a decent block for a stroker build, with pretty decent heads, most likely some W5 heads I have. Possibly some W2 I have also.
I’ve stumbled on a lead on one, unused never run.
Thanks 12
I have and R1 engine makes 900 NA. No issues. Block filled bore is 4.155. 15.1 comp 1008 head gasket

Well that was a fail, not meant to be.
Wasn’t an R block.
It appeared to be a new warranty 340 block.
Standard bore not run I think, no vin. 7-71-8 date. Ugly cast numbers He thought it said 77 did look like it. No x no r
He had a crazy nice car collection though I gots to check out. Hemi Dart, Max wedge car, 67 Barracuda stroker small block, Lil Red, 69 RR etc... Took some pics.

C1C85C12-F81B-446A-AA68-F8CD0BE033F8.jpeg

If the price were right I probably would have jumped at it anyway. No such thing as too many 340 blocks in the way.

Last edited:
^^What he said.^^
I don’t wanna speak for my friend here but I’ll just say, “Yes! That’s his car” & and it’s really a nice ride IMO. Always a pleasure hanging out with him at his place.
If and when he returns, I’ll leave the rest to him.
I’m largely un-qualified to answer any questions about his stuff. So don’t ask cause I really don’t know.

Incredible
The Duster in your avatar?
What’s the combination run?
Yes the yellow duster. That engine with an automatic in a superstock duster ran in the 8.70s. In my car with a stick and 10” tire went 9.0s 9.18 on caltracs. I made some changes to the engine and I’m updating the cars rear suspension so I’m hoping to go 8.50s that’s my goal.

I don’t wanna speak for my friend here but I’ll just say, “Yes! That’s his car” & and it’s really a nice ride IMO. Always a pleasure hanging out with him at his place.
If and when he returns, I’ll leave the rest to him.
I’m largely un-qualified to answer any questions about his stuff. So don’t ask cause I really don’t know.
robs being modest he’s very knowledgeable. your always welcome to hang out we always have a good time.

Hope you get it. There ain't many of those left and they are damn good blocks and a TON better than a production block.
I actually wanted to start with one anyways, as it seems more roller lifter friendly.
Though I would think someone offers a roller lifter, that’ll work in a 59 deg r block? Though they don’t recommend it, it seems.

Someone ran a set of rollers clearance milled for a 59 degree block a couple of weeks ago. May be worth doing a search for.

-
Back