MoparPowa's money hole (66 Dart 5.7 hemi build)

-

MoparPowa

Reaction score
It was originally a slant 6/auto on the column.. What it will be is a totally different monster.

Engine: 5.7 hemi eventually supercharged
Trans: Undecided, leaning towards keisler 5 speed conversion
Suspension: Alterkation front and rear coilover suspension(power steering rack)
Rearend: Moser stamped 8.75 housing, 33 spline axles, detroit truetrac, gears to be determined by transmission
Brakes: 12.25" 4 piston wilwoods on all 4 corners, possibly hydroboost braking system if I can fit it in there somehow
Wheels and tires: Mustang Bullet 17x8 and 17x10.5 and Nitto NT555 245/45/17 and 315/35/17(mini-tub)
Little custom stuff: 66 cuda dash with speedhut guages, aftermarket stereo, vintage air a/c or something like it, nice leather seats with incorporated shoulder belts, adding a floor console as well for the 5 speed. I will be painting the car sterling gray metallic, same color that's on the 2011 V6 mustang in their recent ads. It will be a black interior with all of the steel painted the same as the exterior. Almost all of the trim is being removed as well. Aluminum stock style fuel tank with internal electric pump and corvette style regulator/filter for hemi fuel supply. Uhhh.. I think that's all I know for now.

Now look at all the cool pictures!

IMG_0019 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0021 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0023 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0027 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0028 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0029 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0087 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0088 (1000x750).jpg

DSC01468 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0109 (1000x750).jpg

Let me drool awhile =P~=P~ The 66 dart's are really getting built around this site 8)
Keep up the good work and the update pictures coming :cheers:
Congrat's on a nice build :happy10:8)8)

Moving on to the rear suspension... As you can see one of the original owners curbed the car or something and ripped out one of the supports in the passenger's side spring mount that attaches to the rocker. I decided to just cut it out and replace it with a new one from autorust technicians.. I gravely misunderstood the difficulty of cutting this little bastard out. I DO NOT recommend this job for a nice evening out in the garage. The pictures show the new piece to replace it, as well as a couple photo's of my wheels and tires, including one with my new center caps in them. The last picture shows the rear crossmember for the coilover triangulated rear suspension that I will be installing as soon as I finish this stupid spring mount and the spring relocation kit. Enjoy!

DSC01419 (1000x750).jpg

DSC01424 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0191 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0192 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0187 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0188 (1000x750).jpg

IMG_0190 (1000x750).jpg

DSC01482 (1000x750).jpg

Let me drool awhile =P~=P~ The 66 dart's are really getting built around this site 8)
Keep up the good work and the update pictures coming :cheers:
Congrat's on a nice build :happy10:8)8)

:-D Thanks! I was hoping I'd get some motivation from the members here because I've been slacking lately and have alot of work to get done before the fall semester starts.

-Ryan

The Dart looks to be in great shape and as Mike said..these 66 Darts are popping up everywhere!LOL
Racing the 66 Dart 013.jpg

Keep up the great work,will be following your progress.8)

Racing the 66 Dart 013.jpg

Awsome build, for some reason it looks very familiar to me, like I have seen it somewhere before........Oh! I Know! there is one just like it in my garage. Any questions just ask, I'm sure I will have a few....

Looks like a good car to start with. My ragtop needed the same leaf spring bracket since it was rusted away . I didnt know u could pick em up new, luckily I had a parts car to cut it out of. :read2:

Damn guys, with all these early-a's popping up for 3rd gen hemi swaps.. =P~ Almost makes me want to buy another just for that.. Haha 8)

great looking project ! , where did you get those 10.5 bullit wheels btw :-D

Sweet build man. I'd love to trade up for a Alter-K and RMS rear suspension. Maybe later on down the road after I've driven my car I'll think about the potential for a G-machine. I'll be watching this build for sure!!!!!!

Nice lookin rig man keep it up!

I'm diggin that rack and coil over/disk conversion. Did you fab those a-arms or buy it as a kit??

Time to get crackalackin with your build!LOL.Will be nice when finished.Have you decided on which tranny your going with?8)

The Dart looks to be in great shape and as Mike said..these 66 Darts are popping up everywhere!LOL
View attachment 161198

Keep up the great work,will be following your progress.8)

Yes! It's got a few spots but the car has california paperwork in the dash and is ROCK SOLID throughout the entire body, no cancer anywhere.

Thanks Scott!

Very nice equipment you have there!!!!! I have the same tires too!

No, you have the same tires as me! :-D I haven't driven them yet(obviously), but I am very impressed with how they look and they're made in the U.S.A which is good to know.

Nice build. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Thanks! I'll try to keep busy and get some more stuff done, I'm really busy right now though unfortunately :angry7:

Awsome build, for some reason it looks very familiar to me, like I have seen it somewhere before........Oh! I Know! there is one just like it in my garage. Any questions just ask, I'm sure I will have a few....

lol, I knew I'd be hearing from you Tin. I'll have to admit your car has inspired me to copy at least a couple of the things you're doing, which I hope you wouldn't take offense to or anything, just admiring your quality of work and creativity. Your car is phenomenal. Expect questions and lots of them from me!

Looks like a good car to start with. My ragtop needed the same leaf spring bracket since it was rusted away . I didnt know u could pick em up new, luckily I had a parts car to cut it out of. :read2:

Yes, A.R.T(AutoRustTechnicians) sells them but they aren't cheap and they aren't stock so you may have been better off going the route you did. I pretty much decided I HAD to buy a new one because out here in the midwest there is nothing but rust and the chances of me finding one are pretty much nil. Thanks for the compliment!

Damn guys, with all these early-a's popping up for 3rd gen hemi swaps.. =P~ Almost makes me want to buy another just for that.. Haha 8)

DO IT! Early A's all the way! I bought this car knowing it was going to be a huge challenge space-wise and cost-wise to accomplish but I have no regrets(so far) and every intention of building this car exactly the way I want it.. and then I will drive it until I die.

great looking project ! , where did you get those 10.5 bullit wheels btw :-D

www.americanmuscle.com sells them, they're pretty darn cheap too! Ask Bill at reillymotorsports.com about the center caps if you're interested in those as well. Thankyou for the compliment!

Nice project.

Thanks! It's nothing too amazing yet but we'll get there.

Sweet build man. I'd love to trade up for a Alter-K and RMS rear suspension. Maybe later on down the road after I've driven my car I'll think about the potential for a G-machine. I'll be watching this build for sure!!!!!!

I can't say enough about the quality of the work you've done with the paint on your valiant.. just unbelievable, I can only hope that my car will get as good a paint job. I've considered doing it myself as I'm sure you remember us talking but I'm just not sure I can really handle it. I'm so far from that anyhow I guess I'll just take it one step at a time. Thankyou for your compliment!

Nice lookin rig man keep it up!

Thank you. I'm trying to make it something unique and modern so we'll see how I do as the time goes on.

I'm diggin that rack and coil over/disk conversion. Did you fab those a-arms or buy it as a kit??

No, you can find all of the details of the Alterktion front end suspension at reillymotorsports.com, it's not cheap, but the work is awesome and it's the best stuff you can buy for the price.

Time to get crackalackin with your build!LOL.Will be nice when finished.Have you decided on which tranny your going with?8)

I know! I'm irritated that I don't have that much time to work on it lately but it will come along with time. The decision on the transmission is something I am trying to put off for as long as possible actually.. as I'm sure you've heard me say, I'd really like to use a stock 4 speed console in the car and the only modern overdrive that I know of I can do that with is the keisler 5 speed conversion, which is what I'm currently leaning towards.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging compliments! I'll do my best to contribute as much information as possible to this site.

-Ryan

Oh man I want a rotisserie to see/do the bottom of my car. Nice work.

Oh man I want a rotisserie to see/do the bottom of my car. Nice work.

Believe it or not me and my brother actually built the rotisserie together.. it is really helpful for working on the bottom of the car. Thanks for the compliment.

I like that car a lot Ryan.

That's going to be one fine ride!

Thanks alot Tony, it's definitely a good place to start, I hope it turns out as nice as I see it.

-Ryan

No worries Ryan, we will just have to figure out a way to get together when they are done..

Just realized it's been forever since I've updated this.. Granted I guess I haven't done that much, but I'm tryin'! Got the engine and decided on a transmission after seeing a fellow member take the dive and do something different. Got an empty trans case to make sure I was for sure going with it and an adapter plate to mount the 2004R(yes, I know it's a GM transmission, that is okay) to the 5.7 hemi. As of yesterday everything is bolted up together on 2x4's and I just need to get the cherry picker's cylinder rebuilt and we'll throw it all in the dart! I'm pretty pumped.

Attachments

• 20120704_112159[1].jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 727
  • 20120704_112023[1].jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 713
  • 20120704_112138[2].jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 692
  • DSC01844.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 709
  • DSC01845.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 718
  • DSC01846.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 695
About time you updated this build....

After having read all of Tincup's '63 5.7 build, I think its time to see more also.

Thnx, Mike in FL

-
Back