Moparts Parts and Services (eBay ID - mopartsdealer)

-

daniel_depetro

Reaction score
I just thought I’d share my recent experience with Moparts Parts and Service (eBay ID = mopartsdealer).
Back in August 2007 I won an auction on eBay for a Mopar A-body alloy axle Master kit 8.75" large bolt with Yukon alloy axles from Moparts. I paid $324.82 for the auction via Paypal on August 27, 2007. The master kit was suppose to include the following:
- Yukon alloy axles for stock length A-body 8 ¾ rear end
- Green Bearing brand bearings set (pressed on)
- Set of 10 studs
- Inner axle shaft seals
- Flange gaskets
- Backing plate foam seals
- Differential gasket
Everything needed to install and completely reseal your entire rear end in one professionally set up kit.

About two weeks later I received my ‘master kit’. I was leaving my house when I caught the DHL driver at the end of my driveway. He handed me the box and said no signature was required so I set it in the back of my car and I ran my errands. I received a few other goodies that day so when I returned home I opened everything up like it was Christmas. I opened the Yukon axle box up and there was busted up styrofoam everywhere. After digging through the mess I pulled out the bubble wrapped shipping envelope and looked at its contents. Some gaskets and the lug nuts were in there. Appearing that everything was in there. I set the envelope back in the Yukon axle box. I could see both axles were in there, so I moved on to the next package. Once all of the packages were opened I put them in the garage with all the other packages (car parts for all my cars) to await installation. he time came to start getting the rear end ready to put in the Dart Sport. I am running Weld ProStar wheels so the stock length lug nuts were not going to do me much good. Before I purchased the master kit in question I asked them if they could upgrade me to 3-inch studs, they replied that they could not. Anyways I ordered my $100.00 McGard shanked lug nuts and $55.00 Moroso 3-inch wheel studs for Mopar rear ends. Once those came in around the 1st of December 2007, I brought the axles to my fathers shop so we could press the studs into the axles. We did the first axle fine and he grabs the second axle out of the Yukon box and he says to me “I though you ordered them with the bearings already pressed on”. I didn’t think nothing of it as he usually messes with me like that. Then he shows me the axle, and it was bare. We emptied the contents of the package (original Yukon axle box) out on the work bench. I though maybe a worker somehow forgot to press it in. Not with my good luck, there is no bearing even included! Now I am really frustrated because the only reason I paid for the master kit was so they would press the bearings on for me. I could order the bearings, seals, gaskets and such at cost through my dads shop. I also noticed that the axle flange and the axle seals were missing. So now I know I am hosed because it has been so long plus one axle already has the studs installed. My blood pressure shoots through the roof. I write them an e-mail and ask them nicely to please correct their mistake. I would ship them the one ‘bare’ axle back or the entire kit, their choice. I made several phones and left massages only to wait with no response. I sent them an e-mail, no response. Finally December 17th 2007 Scott from Moparts writes me an e-mail back, saying it has been far too long for him to ship me my missing parts, however he could sell me the bearing kit at his cost ($22.50 + 6.50 shipping). I agree that is a good price but this has turned into principal now.
I replied with another e-mail explaining that the axles are sitting in the Yukon box useless to me until I get the parts that are owed to me. I explained why I bought the master kit instead of just the axles (axles = $220.00 master kit = $325.00). I also sent him pictures of the axles so he could clearly see that the box is mint/undamaged and the axles have only been out of the box for the pictures and one was out to have the studs pressed in. Other than that they have been sitting in the corner of my garage with everything else. They do not so much as have a mark in the protective coating (rust preventative). Not even a scratch on the stickers.
Again not getting a reply I re-send him the e-mail (I saved it in my ‘drafts’ folder, I am a slow finger poker typist). This time he replies with this:

“You have to understand that in that time we don't know what has happened, if it was not really there, was it damaged in use and you looking for a replacement or if it was damaged in storage.
Again, were not trying to benefit from this situation, were just trying to make sure we are not getting taken advantage of.
Not that you are doing that, but we just don't know.
So that is why we post our policies and need to follow them.”

Of course this really urked me and made it crystal clear what they thought of me. I replied to them that I have yet to drive my Dart Sport since I have owned it as the engine is still sitting on the stand. Again I offered to take more pictures of the axles & packaging so he could see they were never used, test fitted, dropped, or even scratched in anyway. The box is still mint, and so are all the foam & paper gaskets in the envelope.

I told him that my dad needs the exact same master kit in a month or two for his A-body 8 ¾ in his 1972 Dart with a supercharged 360. I said if they do not correct this mistake we absolutely would not buy it from them. I also said if not corrected I will not recommend them to anyone I chat/talk with either. Why would we?
I told them if I was trying to ‘scam’ them I could have just awaited the arrival of my fathers kit and told them his was missing the bearing. Perhaps that is what I should have done…

I asked him if it was really worth having an upset customer for a $30.00 bearing kit (shipped). He never answered that question directly but their actions are clear.

Yesterday I got an e-mail from Scott saying that he now retracts his offer of selling me their bearing kit at their cost.

Another lesson learned...

Sorry about your experience. They do have policies, but a case like yours should be a no-brainer. I will NEVER buy from mopartsdealer in support of you, a fellow A-body member, and I will send them an e-mail stating such. Hope these egotistical dealers get the message....soon.

And someone recieved a box with 4 bearings in it and didn't say a word.
We win some and we loose some. I guess I've gotten use to it.

One thing I have learned that is when you order any kind of parts or get anything thru ebay, you need to check everything as soon as you get it. This happened to me with Summit, I recieved some wrong stuff and I waited several months to check everything out. I assumed it was all there and correct, it wasn't. I learned my lesson with that one.

I bought the same axle package you ordered from ebay member Mopartsdealer and I was very happy with his stuff. I have actually bought about 30 items from him, once there was a screw up but he took care of it right away. It is too bad you had a bad experience with him. I guess you can write it off as a lesson learned!

Yep. I have already written it off, however I do not think I should have had to.

I too am happy with the axles and hardware I have, just not with Moparts service.

One of my axles had the bearing pressed on. That was the first axle that I pressed the studs into. I was only missing the one bearing set up and such for the one axle (and both axle seals). I am thinking the installer probably started before lunch or at the end of the day and finished after lunch or the next day and didn't even think about it. They probably looked in the box and made sure the axles were in there and didn't check specifics (much like I did when I first opened the box.

Thanks for the support guys!

I am not saying I am 100% innocent. I should have taken a full inventory immediately (and will from now on with an itemized list of everything), however I can't change what happened. I have done more than enough to prove to Moparts that I have done nothing wrong or scandalous (and am willing do anything they ask of me) and they flat out refuse to correct their mistakes.

The next set of Yukon axles will come from Mopar Madness (eBay ID - wjrwolfe1)

When we pay our hard earned money, we should NEVER lose.
sorry to hear of your problems but.

At the same time why should the business all ways lose ? They have a policy and the customer has a responsibility to check there package when it arrives or in x amount of days. It sucks but you cant all ways blame the company.

hey there, i too have delt with scott there. i spent upwards of 2000.00 with him. he promised me he could do me a great deal and all but it ended up being no deal at all. got most of the parts i wanted but ended up with a timing chain that is no good. he promised me all sorts of freebies and never came thru. sent me the wrong subframe connectors and wouldn't send another set without me sending them back and i ended up paying for shipping. i must have emailed him 20 times. he is on aol so i could instant message him all the time. sometimes he would respond and other times it would be 2-3 days. he doesn't have very good business manners and is not very quick at responding to people he hasn't serviced well. i will never use him again. i'll pay a couple bucks more to someone else. i've used rockauto.com, they usually have the same parts for the same price.
bigdaddydon

I was in the retail buisness for over a decade and I have to say the one thing that sets buisnesses apart is service,plain and simple.It doesnt really matter if it was over 30 days,if the company had made an effort to make it right they would have a repeat customer-possibly for life.I can spend my money anywhere and there are deals to be had all over so why would I spend it with one company?-the answer is good service.I really dont think it would have broke them to send a free bearing and some seals-for that matter it sounds like you were very reasonable and probaly would have agreed to pay a little for shipping,but they didnt and lost at least one customer for sure.

Damn, I just ordered a master kit from them last week. I hope that mine will be right. But if it like my usual luck I'll get screwed also. Wish me luck Guys.
Jeff

There is nothing worse than an irrate customer. Most progressive companies realize this fact. 1 unhappy customer becomes (possibly) 100... or more, through word of mouth.
A while ago I ordered a complete reciprocating mass from Callies, including crank, rods, custom diamond pistons, and rings and bearings. As it turned out, they sent me 4.07" pistons instead of 4.03". I made them aware of the mistake. They sent me new correct pistons. I paid the shipping. They told me to keep the old pistons. As a result, I'll allways use Callies products. I tell everyone about this occurance. That's called Customer Satisfaction. Goes a long way...........

I had a similar experience with Muscle City Glass. I got lied to every time I called them.

Adam, if we never lose, then the supplier will never lose also. Cutting profit to rectify a problem, is the cheapest promotion you can buy. I bought seat covers from Legendary, and one was wrong, my mistake, and I told them as much. They re-shipped the proper pieces,AND, paid my shipping costs. I guarantee you, they have made all that back since.This is how a great supplier should deal with us, and they will reap the profits.

yeah, but 3 months + after receiving the parts? all intentions were good, but waiting that long to report a problem isn't good. but for a 30.00 bearing he should have compromised a little bit to make the customer happy, maybe charge the customer 15.00 flat and call it good and try to make both parties happy.

I'm not saying Daniel was not at fault too. I'm just saying, why tick off a customer, when you can remedy the situation for him quite easily. By the way, I was over 6 months contacting Legendary, as my upolsterer had the pieces,yet the time frame never became an issue for them.

Many companies have a time limit on returns and I don`t know what Mopartsdealer`s policy is. Retailers in this restoration business should know that the process of restoring a car takes years sometimes, meanwhile it`s parts collecting time. For a $300.00 sale, a concession of 10% (a $30.00 bearing) could have saved his reputation. That seems a small price to pay to preserve a good customer, even if the customer was wrong (not in your case of course). It has already cost him that 2nd set of axles you were prepared to buy for your fathers car. In retail (on an average) an unhappy customer will tell about his bad experience to 10 people whereas a happy customer will only tell three. That was in the days before the internet. You can only imagine how many people can be reached here. It pays to make your customers happy, I deal with Mancini ,Summit ,and even Year One because I`ve always been happy with their after purchase service.

I received my master axle kit today. It appears everything is there. The bearings are pressed on, the foam and cork seals, the housing seals and the hogs head gasket were all included. Only thing was the studs weren't pressed in but I can do that. Now if I had new wheels to put on the car things would be great. Need to buy drums and shoes for my 11x2 rear brakes. Man them drums are EXPENSIVE. $80 each!!! Ouch. Sorry you problems with your kit. Jeff

Bottom line is check freight upon arrival, period. I have been on both sides of this senario, so I am unbiased. Even if the part were not as advertised (businesses fault) it still needs to be brought up in a timely manner (customers fault).

For the business to uphold there part of the deal (contract) and to replace missing or damaged parts the customer has to uphold their part of the deal (contract) by checking freight per the specified amount of time. If the customer breaks the contract first by not checking the feight then the business does not have to keep their portion of the contract of replacing parts.

If something shows up missing it could be because of the freight company. The business has a certain amount of time to file a claim of damage or lose with the freight company so all the business is asking is to have the customer check the items in a reasonable amount of time so they can file a claim if needed.

The customers job is an easy one but yet it doesn't get done and majically it is the businesses fault. Granted there is such thing as a good business but you also need to be a good customer. Some people think just because they bought something they are a good customer and this is not the case. It takes more than cash to be a good customer. I have a few customers that have spent 100's of thousands of dollars with me and I would not classify them as good customers because they are high maintenance, they are never happy.

Cutting into profits means that it has to be made up somewere else, possibly raising prices. So now we all pay for an item because someone couldn't check freight? Not fair making everyone else pay more because a select few. I know it seems to the American way now but it needs to stop.

I am sorry to hear your deal did not go well but at least half, if not more of the responsibility falls on your shoulders.

I don't think anyone here, me included think you are trying to pull a "fast one" on anyone, it is just you didn't keep your end of the deal so they don't have to, yet they offered a compromise.

Chuck

I agree, as I already stated. You're right I should have checked a lot better than I did. How did I miss an entire bearing set-up? Its life, I am a busy person. However I am sharing my experience, take it with a grain of salt.

That doesn't change the fact that they obviously do not care about anything but their income.

All the boxes are MINT. There is absolutely no way the shipper is at fault here. There is absolutely no way I could be at fault. You can clearly see that there was never a bearing pressed onto the shaft. No way you could get one on (and off again) without making a mark.

As others stated it was almost 90 days when I contacted him about. Big whoopty-doo. I do not care what their policy is I still believe they should have made an exception.

If I was going to scma them all I had to do was order a second kit and when it got here say "WTF? My bearing assembly is missing". I chose to do the honest thing even if it meant I probably wouldn't get the kit. I guess I thought that would count for something. Maybe I should have gone with plan B?

It isn't just the fact that I didn't look close enough, that really urks me. It is the fact that I know they know I am telling the truth and they never acknoledged that. They didn't say "You're correct our bearing assemblers are incompetent and screwed your order up" but the time has lapsed. Nope instead they still maintain that the shipper (or myself) somehow damaged it and I took everything off the axle and am trying to get something for nothing. That is what is pissing me off.

I made every attempt to prove to him how this is their mistake and he insists it was out of their hands.

He could have broke even (or still showed profit from the second axle kit) and had a happy repeat customer who would highly recommend them for what they did. Instead they lost more than the price of his bearing kit by sending me to the competition for my second set of axles.

Even if one other person stays away from him as a result of this thread (and I am sure someone will) than he is losing more repeat customers. Becasue they will go to the competition for their parts and tell their friends why who will hopefully goto the competition.

He would not have been 'cutting profit' at all. I told him directly. "Correct this mistake and I'll order another kit from you." If not I am going to the competition. Thats when he stated he would no longer give me his 'discount' on the bearing kit.

For some reason, whether it`s an ego thing or whatever ,some people will just not admit they`re wrong. Perhaps someone should contact Mopartsdealer and send him a link to this thread.:scratch:

Well I did some checking around and Advance Auto Parts will sell me the 'green' bearing kit for $24.00 with tax out the door. That means anything over $55.00 will be 'profit'. I plan on keeping a listing of these bearing kits on eBay for say $64.99 ($70.00 Buy-It-Now') + $12.99 shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states of the USA.

Moparts sells their 'kits' for $68.99 (with an $79.99 'Buy-It-Now' option) and seems to be the least expensive kit on eBay (unless you opt for the 'Buy-It-Now). They charge $8.00 for shipping at least here to Michigan which is only about 7 hours from Moparts Parts and Service.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...ryZ34200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OK, so the seller won't send the missing parts because he doesn't know what has happened over the months? Well, if he looked at a picture of the axle which clearly never had a bearing on it that is proof it was never there when it was shipped. But the seller does not want to even bother, policy this, policy that. That is BS, he isn't even attempting to look at that axle. The customer should be given the benefit of the doubt. They made a mistake fix it, period. Thanks for the heads up, I'll steer clear.

Well I did some checking around and Advance Auto Parts will sell me the 'green' bearing kit for $24.00 with tax out the door. That means anything over $55.00 will be 'profit'. I plan on keeping a listing of these bearing kits on eBay for say $64.99 ($70.00 Buy-It-Now') + $12.99 shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states of the USA.

Just so I don't do something stupid & buy the wrong part, can you tell me what the Advance part # is for the green bearing kit? I did a search on their site & all that came up was the tapered style bearings.

-
Back