Motor mount, 318 to 360

-

bighammer

Reaction score
My car is a 70 Dart w/ a 318, gonna do a 360 swap, apparently the left motor mount (drivers side) needs to be altered in order for it to work? I also read that some people just add some washers / spacers? Is that going to be strong and safe? Here is a pic of the driver side mount for a 318 (one I picked up here on FABO):

Attachments

• image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 295
The issue with that mount is the side with one hole needs to have a hole where the other side has one up high. Can't really shim that one unless the block has that low ear.

Either cut the mount and move the existing hole or weld some stock to it and drill a hole to grab the high ear on your block.

Here's what I do to mine.

What it started as and ended as.

The issue with that mount is the side with one hole needs to have a hole where the other side has one up high. Can't really shim that one unless the block has that low ear.

Either cut the mount and move the existing hole or weld some stock to it and drill a hole to grab the high ear on your block.

Here's what I do to mine.

What it started as and ended as.

Strange, I read on here that some people only have to shim. Apparently they have a different year block casting (?) Also, in your picture the one on the left looks as though you had to 'narrow' the mount a little? (Comparing it to the one on the right) or am I missing something?

I bought this mount here so I could modify it, since I do not have my engine pulled yet. Maybe my existing mount is different than the one in the pic I posted?

Ears on production 340-360 blocks are closer together than 273/318 blocks.

There are mounts out there that have the 4 holes and can be shimmed, that one you have isn't one of them on most every 340-360 block

..I have those mounts and was going to weld on an ear and cut 3/8 out,but many have told me 318 mounts can be used as is with spacers so i thought i had the wrong mounts.
..Your post confirmed what i originally thought...tx crackedback!

Here's a pic of a 4 ear bracket that works on a 318 and will also fit a 340-360 with a spacer. I've been told these don't exist. :)

With the OP's low rear 318 bracket, figure out the spacer thickness you need, take a piece of stock that thickness and weld it to the inside edge of the rear ear. Drill a hole in the added bracket piece where needed. It's not real pretty, it does get the job done.

You gotta work with what you have.

I just welded my 318 motor-mount to make it work with my 360 block. I think i used a piece of steel-plate, ground it down into the desired shape, then welded it into place.

That was 2 years ago... no problems.

-
Back