MPG build 360

-
I should of went with a stock 1968 318 grind or stuck with the stock 360 cam
for straight fuel economy and low-end torque, probably best. My main thrust in the previous post was to get you to understand that a low cruise-rpm is not always the best Idea.
I once ran a 270/276/110 Hughes cammed 367 with a final-drive of 1.97 (manual-trans,overdrive) and had fabulous results at 85=2100, but with the timing cranked to 56 to 60*. That cam, by ithe math had 53* of overlap! but the alloy headed engine cranked over 185psi pressure. So, I know fuel mileage can be had with that type of cam.
As is so often the case, combo is everything.
Now;
If your engine is already assembled;
How much is a new cam and lifters gonna cost with gaskets and such?
Compare that to a theoretical 2 mpg increase.
And then figure out how long it will take to break even, with the number of miles you typically drive in a year.
Many times it's just not worth it to make the change.
Furthermore;
if the engine is already built, I highly recommend to not worry about it at this time, just drive it.
Get the timing bugged out, and the cruise circuit leaned out, then do some mileage runs at different rpms; and figure out the sweetspot rpm, and badaboom, yur done.

Last edited:
Weren't they (318 & 360)the same stock cam like 430/444?
No; as I recall, from memory;
the teener cam was always a 240/248/112, and lift around .390
the 360 2bbl was 252/IDK/112, and lift around .420
But these factory cams had long slow ramps, great for lasting longer than the sheetmetal
But I can tell you that a 360 2bbl cam works great in an early hi-compression 318..... Hyup/built one of those too, more like slammed it together, lol.

Yur may be sorta thinking of the Magnums.

Last edited:
for straight fuel economy and low-end torque, probably best. My main thrust in the previous post was to get you to understand that a low cruise-rpm is not always the best Idea.
As you said and I always say - “Combo dependent!”
I once ran a 270/276/110 Hughes cammed 367 with a final-drive of 1.97 (manual-trans,overdrive).
What was the actual grind number because they lost there cams by the duration @050 only IIRC.

That would be a Chrysler manual transmission that is an overdrive unit coupled to a gear vendors overdrive unit,
Correct?

To each their own. Shorty's are better than stock logs all week long and twice on Sunday. If he wants the "fun" of installing and doing maintenance around longtubes for the performance.. more power to him. Myself.. I like the skin right where it is currently on my knuckles, having no ground clearance/steering clearance issues and easily being able to get spark plugs and starters in and out of the car.

that described my tti header experience pretty well.. plenty of ground clearance, easy to get to plugs, starter was easy to get out and they didn't get in the way of any steering..

The RPM is not a low rpm intake. Edel quotes 1500-6500 rpm range. If you have yet to buy an intake, the Performer, 0-5500 rpm, would be better for low end & mileage.
Agree with others that the 340 cam is not ideal, but the 360 plus the long stroke will work in favour of 'softening' it. If you already have it, you need to weigh up the cost of a new/better cam versus the money saved on fuel.

The RPM is not a low rpm intake. Edel quotes 1500-6500 rpm range. If you have yet to buy an intake, the Performer, 0-5500 rpm, would be better for low end & mileage.
Agree with others that the 340 cam is not ideal, but the 360 plus the long stroke will work in favour of 'softening' it. If you already have it, you need to weigh up the cost of a new/better cam versus the money saved on fuel.
What can would you recommend

The Isky Mile-A-Mor #3901-M. 248* adv/ 194 @ 050. 0.400" lift. Recommended for 340-360 low comp engines.

In my opinion we're talking a lot about the small things and a little about the big things. Sure there may be a difference between one OEM cam or another but you aren't talking huge difference.

Lower gears, lower displacement, raise compression, get the tune right, select components that maximize torque output over a usable RPM range, make it lean as possible during cruise and idle. Above all keep your foot out of it. These are the big things.

Weren't they (318 & 360)the same stock cam like 430/444?
Most stock LA 318 cams were 390 lift with 1.5 rocker. Duration was about 192 @.050 if memory serves.

Stock LA 360 2bbl cams were 410 lift, cant remember exactly but I think about 202 duration.

Some 4bbls may have had different cams certain years like with the E58 360's.

-
Back