Mt Kilauea just erupted big time...

-
Back when I lived in Hawaii, the legend was that goddess Pele would stop the eruption after the lava reached the sea. That hasn’t seemed to have happened yet.

I don’t believe in those myths about Pele, but I do believe that they were based on observations of cause and effect...that once the lava flow was big enough to reach the sea, the energy inside the volcano has been sufficiently released to allow the volcano to go back to the normal quiescent state.

I think that based on the current observations from the USGS, the same will happen this time too.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what volcanoes do.

Still remember St Helens in WA state, vaguely. Local small town had a "pretty good" airshow. It appeared to be big clouds approaching. Next thing I know, there's basically a huge exodus of aircraft leaving the area. Later that afternoon, the dust started falling. We did not get it ANYWHERE nearly as bad as some parts of the state. The thing generated huge mud and debri flows, and mowed down trees for miles

mount-st-helens-02.jpg

sthelenspostcard.jpg

Still remember St Helens in WA state, vaguely. Local small town had a "pretty good" airshow. It appeared to be big clouds approaching. Next thing I know, there's basically a huge exodus of aircraft leaving the area. Later that afternoon, the dust started falling. We did not get it ANYWHERE nearly as bad as some parts of the state. The thing generated huge mud and debri flows, and mowed down trees for miles

View attachment 1715176996

View attachment 1715176997

Yup, and that bad boy is still rumblin today. It's comin again. One day. The one I am waitin on is the Yellowstone explosion. THAT my friend is gonna be the bigun.

Yup, and that bad boy is still rumblin today. It's comin again. One day. The one I am waitin on is the Yellowstone explosion. THAT my friend is gonna be the bigun.
When that blows, you can kiss anything east of that goodbye for a few months. ..."
The Island Park Caldera supereruption (2.1 million years ago), which produced the Huckleberry Ridge Tuff, was the largest, and produced 2,500 times as much ash as the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption...." I left PI before Pinatubo went up but I saw pics of my old stomping grounds that had ash drifts 8 feet high, looked like gray snow.

When that blows, you can kiss anything east of that goodbye for a few months. ..."
The Island Park Caldera supereruption (2.1 million years ago), which produced the Huckleberry Ridge Tuff, was the largest, and produced 2,500 times as much ash as the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption...." I left PI before Pinatubo went up but I saw pics of my old stomping grounds that had ash drifts 8 feet high, looked like gray snow.

Yup. And scientists have recently discovered that caldara is MANY times bigger than previously thought AND it is rising at an unprecedented rate. It's gonna blow. It's just a question of when.

If the Mount St Helens erupted lets say in the 1400's without witness the scientist would teach these
layers were formed in millions of years. Grand Canyon is the same.
Screenshot (62).png

Just bend over and kiss your a$$ good-by..............

Just bend over and kiss your a$$ good-by..............

Maybe not immediately, but yup. Probably so. As long as I get to see the giant HOLE in the ground, all is well.

I was stationed at Ft Lewis WA when St Helens went up. Had just gotten out of my car and me and two pals were walking across the parking lot when BOoM! We hit the dirt and looked South to see the ash cloud rising up through the air. We had no idea it was a volcano and at first naturally thought....NUKE!! Wild few minutes there... We left the base two days later on the way to Oregon to have maneuvers on the beach and went right past there...looked bad, real bad. Ash choking up rivers, all sorts of cars and trucks abandoned because ash had stopped the motors. Trees down everywhere. What a mess. Even at Ft Lewis there was ash about 3" deep everywhere...

I was stationed at Ft Lewis WA when St Helens went up. Had just gotten out of my car and me and two pals were walking across the parking lot when BOoM! We hit the dirt and looked South to see the ash cloud rising up through the air. We had no idea it was a volcano and at first naturally thought....NUKE!! Wild few minutes there... We left the base two days later on the way to Oregon to have maneuvers on the beach and went right past there...looked bad, real bad. Ash choking up rivers, all sorts of cars and trucks abandoned because ash had stopped the motors. Trees down everywhere. What a mess. Even at Ft Lewis there was ash about 3" deep everywhere...

And the sun shall be darkened, and the moon turned to blood------------------------

I used to live there I can imagine what it is like my old house prob got runneth over, It is paradise there or it was I should say. Feel sorry for the people no where to go really, just were getting by living life.

We carried at least three spare air filters in our truck whenever we headed to Yakima to load fruit...

You couldn't buy any kind of air filter for any type of vehicle for many days after, in any state near WA. Sold the hell out instantly. That stuff will ruin an engine in minutes..

-
Back