multi spark ign. vs timing light.

-

Kevin D.

Reaction score
I have read a few articles and posts on the net about muti spark ignitions not being compatible with modern dial back timing lights.As the multi spark confuses the timing signal.This does not seem to be the case as with the older style timing lights.Any input,Kevin.

It's not so much a case of new or old. Some processors can tell the multispark and some can't. My digital Snap On light has always been fine when verified by other lights with the possible exception of the better plug wires that sometimes are too good for the pickup to read cleanly. But my buddy's doesn't read right on some vehicles. Seems like the dial back rather than digital ones are best.

My dial back Craftsman works fine...and so does my HF dial back....

use them both on msd 7s and 6s...

I have a cheap HF dialback I got when my Craftsman finally died and I was wondering the same thing. I borrowed 3 other timing lights from my dad (Craftsman, Actron, and Heathkit I made a long time ago) and all 4 read the same with the MSD on my Barracuda. I agree with Moper, I don't think it is age but the actual way they process the signal.

I have a Craftsman with a dial on it and it will skip (not flash) every few seconds. I have a Mallory multi spark unit. My buddy's digital readout Mac Tools light does the same thing.Might have something to do with the 10 mm Taylor wires I have on it, not sure.

-
Back