Mustang Style IFS Swap 1968 Dart

-
Bolt on guy says "what"

So if I built you a front suspension out of angle iron and rebar that worked perfect you would buy it ?

I went with the HDK and love it so far. Not one single issue with installation.

K-in-car2.jpg

K-in-car.jpg

motor-mounts.jpg

Dennys_K_Member-and-parts.jpg

2012-08-12_13-54-23_437.jpg

2012-08-14_19-41-47_0.jpg

Bolt on guy says "what"

So if I built you a front suspension out of angle iron and rebar that worked perfect you would buy it ?
ever looked under your car??? you do realize that the factory stuff is a bolt on??

Having your front frame rail piled up is a blessing in disguise . You can start fresh with the rail width ,height and placement .
You are not constrained with the retarded upward angle of the front frame rails the make the upper controls arms on the alter-k and Bob's disaster front end abortions fumble through their confused travel . Put the frame rails at 10 degree's up and make a standard A-arm suspension that you can buy anywhere.
Front suspension geometry is covered in many books and there are plenty of excellent tech articles that will explain in detail the fundamentals and standard pivot points in order to reproduce a competent front suspension .

To many people think front suspension is voodoo magic ( similar to the torque converter ) and are afraid to build their own , if you have the resources than do it yourself .

you have some good points....

the limitations of the width of stock frame rails added with the set placement of the stock upper control arm mounting points makes it challenging, to say the least.

if I were building a road race car, I certainly would start from scratch, in fact, I would not be attempting to tuck(narrow) my front wheels in or slam the car as low as possible, it would make more sense to widen out the track width and have a little more ground clearance....but that is not what I think the majority of us are not trying to accomplish. And a throw-down drag car...lets start with a cage, 4-link, ect...

most are just trying to put in a bigger motor, get the stance to look mean......or maybe to enhance room. The point is unless major metal surgery (non bolt-ons) is involved in our beloved Mopars (can you say... devalue) , we are stuck with the mounting /attaching points and frame rail width that they came with. Are they gonna be world beater road racers?...I doubt it, but they never were......but OMG....what great hot rods!

if your going to go m2 up front might as well clip the rails and go all new. pick up a street rodder magazine, tons of vendors for this.

i warned you :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1::violent1:

What does HDK stand for, and what does that conversion do for you?
I'm not asking for a book, just the basics.

but ...it still has to turn....so you can only go so wide and so low without contact with a stock fender

another good point.

Sooooo many variables to consider when designing a front suspension. It's NOT rocket science, but there is a lot to consider other than getting the geometry right.

I went with the HDK and love it so far. Not one single issue with installation.

K-in-car2.jpg

K-in-car.jpg

motor-mounts.jpg

Dennys_K_Member-and-parts.jpg

2012-08-12_13-54-23_437.jpg

2012-08-14_19-41-47_0.jpg
From the looks of it and please correct me if I'm wrong. It looks like the HDK unit converts to rack and pinion? If so that's 1 more thing to start saving up for.

P.S. I could careless how good it looks, what color it is, if its gonna get me 1st place at a car show. I'm looking for functionality.

Thanks,Aj

hdk=hemidenny k frame

Guess I should have been able to figure that one out.

I'll start a list:

1) R&P steering.
2) Torsion bars gone so more room for headers etc.

I know there's more... is there a benefit when lowering the car?

I spoke to HemiDenny a while ago. Don't know if RMS will sell his unit in a part by part type of fashion but when I spoke with Denny he said he would. And Denny only supplies the fabricated parts, he supplies you with a list of what you need so you can source it locally, so you can just buy as you have the money....or find good deals....

-
Back