my 360 swap, spitfires, pics

-

64'5$peed

Reaction score
here's some pics of my slant to 360 swap on my 64 valiant signet.
starting point
IMG_4681-1.jpg

after paint
IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

the paint is photo color matched to my glovebox door. I got it loaded into 4 rattle cans. I only used 2 for under hood. but I also painted my steering column and some other misc parts.
IMG_0291.jpg

heres my powder coated, reinforced K member.
IMG_0307.jpg

first pic after I dropped in the new motor. I pulled it out 4 or 5 times since then for various reasons.
IMG_0312.jpg

drivers side spitfire clearance mock up. i had to hammer it a bit to clear the coupler and the coupling bolt. its real tight but it fits.
IMG_0364.jpg

couple more accessory's installed. air cleaner has been replaced with a K&N xtreme unit.
IMG_0400.jpg

and the new hood to top it off. I have a few more pics but haven't loaded em up yet.

very nice work.and by the way that slant looked like a really nice set up as well.what are you going to do with the six?

that slant was a nice setup. It ran very nicely just not fast enough. I've got a 64 dart 170 I might throw it in. or my 67 A100. Both are slant equipped and may eventually that motor. the rest of the drivetrain on the signet. is as follows. Kevlar spec clutch w/quicktime bellhousing. tremec T5. 8 3/4" suregrip with 3.91's

You would think for how long Harold has been making Spitfires they would fit better. Mine is pointed at the proppotioning valve just like yours. My prodject changed . I am taking off the headers and using a stock manifold.

Haha, thats pretty funny. other then color choices we pretty much went the same route! When I get exhaust put on the car I might have the header cut and moved inboard more. get it away from the lineloc. still have'f fired it up yet. only a few minor things left now.

Moving the portioning valve is no big deal I wouldn't think, as long as it is below the cylinder. Some corvettes had them bolted right on the bottom of the cylinder itself.

here's some pics of my slant to 360 swap on my 64 valiant signet.
starting point
IMG_4681-1.jpg

after paint
IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

the paint is photo color matched to my glovebox door. I got it loaded into 4 rattle cans. I only used 2 for under hood. but I also painted my steering column and some other misc parts.
IMG_0291.jpg

heres my powder coated, reinforced K member.
IMG_0307.jpg

first pic after I dropped in the new motor. I pulled it out 4 or 5 times since then for various reasons.
IMG_0312.jpg

drivers side spitfire clearance mock up. i had to hammer it a bit to clear the coupler and the coupling bolt. its real tight but it fits.
IMG_0364.jpg

couple more accessory's installed. air cleaner has been replaced with a K&N xtreme unit.
IMG_0400.jpg

and the new hood to top it off. I have a few more pics but haven't loaded em up yet.

What are you going to do with the six?

Nice work! Any pic's of the hydraulic clutch set-up with parts list? Thanks,

Dave.............

parts list is simple. I used a McLeod Hyd. throwout bearing. it came in a kit with the wilwood 3/4" bore master cylinder. I would recommend trying to get the bearing used in the Keisler kit. I've had a few problems with the bearing leaking. I used the slip on style bearing. I needed it when I was running it behind my slant. however it is too long and didn't have the necassary clearance with the V8 so I had to make a plate that spaced the transmission from the bellhousing 1/8". they make a bolt on version that wouldnt require a spacer. I also had to reinforce the firewall with some simple metal brackets to tie the clutch MC to the well supported Brake MC. it was starting to tear the firewall.

Old pic before I made reinforcing brackets and it looks like I hadn't relocated my battery to the trunk yet either.
IMG_4720.jpg

Could you post a picture of how your fuel line is set up?

Also, how are you running the battery cable so it don't fry? is it a stock cable or is it extended? Thanks!

nice swap,, your engine bay looks GREAT,,, your master is mounted just like mine is,,,T5 huh,,hope it holds behind that small block,,

im now using a puller type slave cylinder,,, i was using a tilton hyd bearing,, but i went back to a factory fork and hyd slave cylinder

I use 0 gauge battery cable. it goes under the car beneath the rear seat and runs along the subframe connector it crosses over top of the motor to the starter at the firewall. not really hard to keep it away from exhaust heat. its the tremec superduty t5 so it's a bit beefier then stock. I think so long as I dont dump the clutch and actually "hook up" the tires it should be ok. wheel spin should keep me from breaking anything. the fuel lines are stock up to the pump. I'm gonna run 8 AN soon. and 6 AN from the pump to the carb. I just changed the chrome carb feed lines to AN since the chrome ones were leaking so badly. there is an inline AN fuel filter in front of the feed lines.

your car should be relly close as far as brake line set up(i mean stock) id like to know what year MC and what syle prop valve (i can see it adjustable)im changing my `65 Dart over to sbp disc off 73 duster but would like SS brake lines and would be a big help to me to know about your MC setup and pdal rod Thanx

-
Back