My 6.1 hemi build!

-

USCG CHARGER

Reaction score
As many know I'm doing a hemi swap in my 68 Dart. On 12 Mar I decided to pull the trigger on some goodies for the build so I called up Dave Webber at Moder Muscle Performance Group ordered a set of his ported 6.1 heads with 625 springs, retainers, and guides, custom cam, forged drop in pistons with new rings, cometic head gasket, new rod bolts, etc. I also made a phone call to my friend AJ Hemituner and bought a complete 6.1 engine. He wanted to send it to me assembled but I wanted it un-assembled so I could put the goodies on it from MMP. After seeing a smoking deal on a used KB I scooped it right up and now had all the parts in place within 10 days from nothing to everything. That's a very remarkable turn around time on this.

Next I called up my buddy Jeff (Popeye's Hemi) and asked for his assistance to assemble this mountain of parts. Jeff arrived Friday night grabbed so beers went to the shop and the labor began. We both were unsure as to what to gap the new rings at so i called very intelligent individuals in the know and they gave what they would gap them for my build. So after a lot of reading and talking on the phone we decided on the top and second gaps along with the bottom rings. We purchased a hand wheel to gap the rings to our specs. If you've never gaped a ring it takes a long time to measure each cylinder gap the ring put in back in the cyl, measure again, grind a little, put it back, you get the point... very time consuming. After 3-4 hours we were complete and are very satisfied with our work.

Time of assembly... We were smart enough to mark each rod and cap by a number and the direction it was facing before disassemble. This made a assembly easy and had two check points (our marks and the pistons had larger valve reliefs with obviously go on the top of each cyl). We used a crappy ring compressor that we fought a few pistons with but other than that they all went in with out a hitch. Something we did was to rotate the crank with the crank journals down so when we installed the piston a rod it couldn't reach it a smack it possible causing damage to it or the rod. We used this same level of attention to detail throughout this entire build. Every Bolt was spec and torqued, all new gaskets, assembly lube, etc.

I wanted to thank Scott 1fst4dr as I asked a lot of question and we shipped parts back and forth within a few days.. He's top notch in my book. Also Dave Webber and AJ for putting up with the numerous phone calls and obviously the bad *** parts to make this all happen. Jeff for the time you took to help me out ..very cool ( love the sound of the 300 BTW) SICK!

Next week I will put it in place mate it to the tranny, plug it in, and start on the custom headers. I'm hoping to get it to AJ for tuning a week prior to 27 Apr. Still a lot of work to be done but it should start moving fast now. Here are some pics of this weekend. These pic are not in order.. I think I got Jeff in one acting like he's doing something but still managing to pose! Go figure!

10252c00.jpg

ec20ea1a.jpg

49cfdaf5.jpg

665bd300.jpg

37d6bb59.jpg

86cda033.jpg

d3496de4.jpg

2de79449.jpg

28025215.jpg

ed54e202.jpg

e9e3bdc6.jpg

48869126.jpg

deb9c3a9.jpg

d1517ce8.jpg

2bf326fd.jpg

b29c1194.jpg

abd3ee03.jpg

faaefeea.jpg

f32fc53a.jpg

1584f542.jpg

8a95fea4.jpg

d385deb7.jpg

Thanks Man--Now I don't have to post my build !!!!! Good Job--Looks like your working in a hospital ??? Nice clean area to work!!!!!--Steve

Is that a stock crank pulley on the front???? I'm going with a ATi under drive are you changing yours since your driving a blower???? Does the crank have key-way's machined in for a crank pulley,So it doesn't slip under load??? Steve

No it's a mr norms kit. I did have pin the stock crank. Pita

Look like your on your way to some good times..
I want to know why Jeff looks like a dear in head lights?

I'm Jealous!! lol.

Sometime in the future...hopefully more near than distant, I'd like to stroke a 6.1L to 426 and use Kenne Bell's largest blower for it. Make it streetable. Just need to figure out what kind of harness and computer/tuning to go with something like that...kinda frustrating. lol
Looks excellent.

I did a rough mock up with the KB on it to see if I would need to trim my fire wall but it looks like I might be ok.
7694256d.jpg

766ea6e1.jpg

16c30b0a.jpg

69020252.jpg

Thats a 2.8 KB.. I know a few guys running 9.50's in there 4400 lb challengers with them.. you can get a 3.6 it the same height but wider.. the 4.2 KB is a monster.. I doubt you would ever need a 3.6 or even a 4.2 in an A body unless is a pure race car. It's going to be hard enough to use 10 lbs of boost in with my 3100 lb Dart.. Next yr I will stroke the 6.1 I just built keep those nice heads and cam and prolly up the boost to 14-16 lbs.

People with similar combos make around 600-650 at the wheels

Yup... It's near impossible to make this hp with an old school la style block and heads and it be as reliable and get as good gas smilage as these hemis!

Thanks for the car/engine ****. Made my day.

Considering Hot-Rod got 1000 HP out of stock stroke 6.1L hemi with a Kenne Bell blower, I don't think you need to stroke it, just add a little more boost. Although, I so like the sound of the phrase, "Supercharged 426 Hemi."

With 650 HP to the wheels, you should easily be putting out 750 HP at the crank. In a 3100 LB A-Body that should / could put you into the 9s.

Think about it, a 9s street car.

Holy Crap Batman, that's fast.

Thanks again, looking forward to more pics.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

No it's a mr norms kit. I did have pin the stock crank. Pita

I don't know if you used the Manley double roller chain set or not. It's hard to see. If you did please check your pulley alignment! I had a problem with mine and I don't know if they corrected the issue. The new timing gear/oil pump drive was longer than the original moving the damper further out and away from the engine. It might cause you to throw a belt or burn it up very quickly. If I remember correctly, I had to remove somewhere around .110" from the damper hub to get the pulleys to match up. They might have remedied that issue by now. Just FYI!

Thanks for the car/engine ****. Made my day.

Considering Hot-Rod got 1000 HP out of stock stroke 6.1L hemi with a Kenne Bell blower, I don't think you need to stroke it, just add a little more boost. Although, I so like the sound of the phrase, "Supercharged 426 Hemi."

With 650 HP to the wheels, you should easily be putting out 750 HP at the crank. In a 3100 LB A-Body that should / could put you into the 9s.

Think about it, a 9s street car.

Holy Crap Batman, that's fast.

Thanks again, looking forward to more pics.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

If it doesn't put me into the 9's it will be b/c I can't drive! lol The suspension, tranny, tires, are there to help me so no excuses here!

I don't know if you used the Manley double roller chain set or not. It's hard to see. If you did please check your pulley alignment! I had a problem with mine and I don't know if they corrected the issue. The new timing gear/oil pump drive was longer than the original moving the damper further out and away from the engine. It might cause you to throw a belt or burn it up very quickly. If I remember correctly, I had to remove somewhere around .110" from the damper hub to get the pulleys to match up. They might have remedied that issue by now. Just FYI!

Joe, i'm actually using a 6.1 timing set. Later I will use an adjustable but it will most likly be a crower set as I heard of clearencing issues with other timing set and the timing cover. We installed the cam strainght up so no need to dial her in for now.

how be da thrash go-win? (street talk...pretty good, eh?)

Did a little more work on the Dart today.. I received the transmission yesterday and decided to get the motor and tranny in the car today. I got the car on the lift put the motor in and the truck oil pan I'm using hits the rack and pinion steering. So I cut the pan and was able to make a template to weld in place tomorrow to clear the rack while still having clearance for the pic up tube. Everything seems to be fitting in place pretty well so far. It looks like I might need to either adjust the rear coil overs up 1" and possibly get 150 spring vs the 130 I currently have. I ordered all my Auto meter gauges today as well.. the custom dash made it's way here yesterday and that will be going in soon as the gauges get in and we finish up the 8.50 cage. We almost finished up the entire fuel system from the cell /pump/hoses/controller/fittings/and reg. We are waiting on the motor to be set exactly so we can run the hoses to the rails. Here is a little **** for you guys to look at in the mean time.
f73a2484.jpg

db505c6e.jpg

ae114f6c.jpg

86d1988d.jpg

f072a611.jpg

ca656df1.jpg

3beec833.jpg

a46d8cca.jpg

whatcha' usin' for exhaust manifolds ?

I hate to be reminded..lol.. Initially I bought $800 worth of stianless to make custom headers... but time is ticking b/c I have to be on the dyno on the 19 Apr so yesterday I pulled the trigger on 2" TTi headers and their full length exhaust mminus the mufflers (I think I might get borla mufflers).

-
Back