My 66 Cuda

-
Thanks for the compliment. Its been about a years worth of work now to get it in the place now. The motor is a rebuilt 360. Also have rebuilt A999 trany behind it. Now i just need some good shocks in the back and maybe some new brakes. She does not handle very good cause of sagging springs. Went with a single exhaust too(much cheaper). Its sounds pretty good. I just have to fit the exhaust leaks i have at the manifolds. Need headers. Paint job some day. Thanks again.

I also hate the little 9 inch drums. I have not done anything but bleed them so i was wondering if i should go ahead and put new shoes etc. on them or just wait and get disk brakes? I dont think fixing these brakes will make much difference from what i have read.

Those 9 inch drum brakes are woefully inadequate even when the car was equipped with the slant. Do yourself and others on the road and upgrade to disc brakes.

BJD....if you dont want to spend the bucks for the DISC brake upgrade use the larger drums off a Duster.....all you really need to do is change out the wheel cyls and the shoes & hdw...... the larger DRUM brakes are 1/4 the cost and they WILL stop your car......the only thing I strongly suggest is that you replace that "suicide single" Master Cyl with a dual also from a later model duster and bolts directly up..... Unless you are drag racing the living **** out of your car and beating it to death from every light, the cost for large drums brakes that bolt directly up to your spindle vs the thousands for disc set up is not only not necessary it is not cost effective.....I have a 66 340 with large drums on all 4 and dyno'd at 358 HP my car stops NO problem....BUT I dont do the following: I do not run my car at the strip, and I do not beat the living crap out of it from every light.....I still get into it JUST NOT all the time ....I did not spend that much of my life restoring my 66 to the level that it is at, only to abuse it.....just not my thing. Are disc brakes better you betcha are they also 4 times the cost? you betcha!! will appropriate drum braks stop your car...YOU BETCHA!! Drum brakes have been stopping 5000 lb LAND BARGES for almost 100 years and they work just fine for "regular use" and the occasional burnout of a 2700 lb A body....
unless you plan on rallye racing or drag racing or racing of pretty much any sanctioned kind...you do not NEED disc brakes....YOU do however NEED a dual Master....and they are as easy to retro into your existing system as it can get....you DO not NEED a proportioning valve, just a splitter block ( which is likely already there ) good to go and at 1/4 the cost
my 2 centavos

HEADERS.....power steering & Early Narrow A bodies.... does present a problem...if you are OK with the choked down manifolds leave it be...if not try to find a CUSTOM HEADER BUILDER....they will build your headers to YOUR set up and vehicle....they cost a wee bit more BUUUUTTTTTT you will not have to learn a whole new set of cursing words trying to fit any of the generics to your config..... any custom builder can make headers to fit power steering and they typically will not hang down to the white lines ......I also ran a single out the rear.....I have 3in collectors that symmetrically "Y" into 3.5 which goes all the way out the rear....... it flows so well that with the dumps OPEN I actually LOSE a small % of power
another 2 cents

Thanks for the compliment. Its been about a years worth of work now to get it in the place now. The motor is a rebuilt 360. Also have rebuilt A999 trany behind it. Now i just need some good shocks in the back and maybe some new brakes. She does not handle very good cause of sagging springs. Went with a single exhaust too(much cheaper). Its sounds pretty good. I just have to fit the exhaust leaks i have at the manifolds. Need headers. Paint job some day. Thanks again.

One step at a time and you will have this 66 barracuda ready for road trip's :cheers:
Enjoy every minute you get to work on it :happy10: Remember this is a hobby.

-
Back