my 68 barracuda notch

-

dmaccons

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been meaning to start this thread for awhile just never seemed to take the time.
I bought this car 18 months ago.It was a daily driver car but needed alot of metal work to repair the body.
Interior is all there and in decent shape.
I have been tracking down the pieces to build it and am now at the point that I have most of what I need aside from a few pieces.
I started stripping it a few months ago.Took my time and meticulously labeled and bagged everything.
It started as a 318/904/7 1/4.I am going 408 stroker/727 and 8 3/4 rear.

It went to the bodyshop a couple weeks ago and is scheduled to be done in february.
I have the front suspension/kframe built w/disc brake conv.Also putting disc brakes on the rear.
here are a few pics to start off and I will update as I go.

View attachment IMG_1099.jpg

View attachment IMG_1104.jpg

View attachment IMG_1105.jpg

View attachment IMG_1107.jpg

View attachment IMG_1125.jpg

View attachment IMG_1158.jpg

View attachment IMG_1526.jpg

View attachment IMG_1529.jpg

View attachment IMG_1542.jpg

View attachment IMG_1531.jpg

Here are a few pics of the kframe and front end.Just need to put in the strut rods.Waiting for bushings to come!!

I have to mention that I am in no way a mechanic,just a guy who likes to take things apart and put them back together.
This site has been an invaluable source of information.Every time I need to know something I just do a search on here and someone has allready talked about it.Thanks to you all for the help.I have also found a few pieces in the classified adds.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,311
  • IMG_1690.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,312
  • IMG_1689.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,317
  • IMG_1688.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,312
awesome !! cant wait to see it painted what color are you going with i have a 67 notch the im building

Yeah,definately gonna put in 68 marker lights.I was just never able to find a decent 68 fender.Got a decent 68 fender for the passenger side.I have accumulated a total of 8 different fenders to come up with the 2 I am going to use.If anyone is in need of a fender I have 2 or 3 others that could be repaired and made into decent fenders.Also have a couple lower patch panels.
The passenger side fender you see in the pics is one of the spare ones I have left over as I found a better one recently.It has a good top but someone improperly installed the lower patch panel.It could be fixed by properly installing a new lower patch panel.

The bodywork is being done by a world class shop and will be a total,better than new bodyjob.It will have new quarters,rear valance,outer wheel houses,trunk extensions,drivers floor pan,inner fender,rear fender splash shields,front valance and some small patchwork.Also putting in frame rail connectors and torque boxes.Alot more than I bargained for in the body work department but I am excited to be getting it done.
For some reason I have a steady nagging pain in my wallet!!!!hahahaha
Just spending my kids inheritance is what I tell the wife!!!!

Still trying to decide on an exact color but it will be green for sure.Kinda leaning towards an emerald green or something like that.I seen another car on here that had a color he called GG1 that I really like.Is anyone else familiar with this GG1 color?

Yeah,definately gonna put in 68 marker lights.I was just never able to find a decent 68 fender.Got a decent 68 fender for the passenger side.I have accumulated a total of 8 different fenders to come up with the 2 I am going to use.If anyone is in need of a fender I have 2 or 3 others that could be repaired and made into decent fenders.Also have a couple lower patch panels.
The passenger side fender you see in the pics is one of the spare ones I have left over as I found a better one recently.It has a good top but someone improperly installed the lower patch panel.It could be fixed by properly installing a new lower patch panel.

The bodywork is being done by a world class shop and will be a total,better than new bodyjob.It will have new quarters,rear valance,outer wheel houses,trunk extensions,drivers floor pan,inner fender,rear fender splash shields,front valance and some small patchwork.Also putting in frame rail connectors and torque boxes.Alot more than I bargained for in the body work department but I am excited to be getting it done.
For some reason I have a steady nagging pain in my wallet!!!!hahahaha
Just spending my kids inheritance is what I tell the wife!!!![/QUOTE]

Let the nagging pain begin it will get better as the wallet gets much much thinner.

had some time the last few days so I decided to start putting a few things together.Spent many hrs cleaning the transmission housing and painting it.Also got the center section mounted in my rear end.Went to install the axles I bought awhile back that were supposed to be a body axles.Well they are 2-3 inches too long.Geuss I should have measured them before buying.Just though I could take the guys word that they were for an a body.I will be ordering a set of Moser axles tomorrow.
My car was being sandblasted today and I went to see what was left.It was a little worse than I thought but overall not too bad.Was hoping to get away without changing the floorpan but it looks like I have too.
I am feeling that nagging pain again.
It is sure nice to be starting to put things together though!!!!

I know some people wont like the orange but I like it so that's what counts.

Attachments

• IMG_1785.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,273
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,240
  • IMG_1793.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,266
Looking forward to seeing your car in color.Looked like a pretty solid car you started with'.

It looks a lot less solid now that it is sandblasted.I though we were only going to have to change the drivers floor pan but now that it is blasted i see that the whole floor needs to be changed.Also going to have to change a piece of the drivers side rear frame rail but only about a foot.I have a donor car that has a good frame rail.The trunk floor was good but trunk floor extensions will have to be fabricated.I will take some pics on monday to show.

Looking good. I dont know if the power steering will work with the stroker and/or headers. I know it'll be a pain to put together. You plab to keep the vimyl top or delete it ?

Just about everybody needs trunk extensions. It's not so difficult to fab the turned down portions. I've often wondered if there is a way to delete those. Like just take the flat all the way to the quarter skin. I'm sure a fender brace or 2 would be needed so the bottom of the panel doesn't flap in the breeze. LOL
Anyway... Good luck with it.

My car is GG1 which is a '68 color. My car was originally light green with dark green interior. Since your interior is in great shape painting your car GG1 and putting that interior back in would work well. Gonna put them hub caps back on?

Spent the weekend looking at paint chips!!! way too many color choices!!!! Was contemplating GG1 but after looking at a couple hundred different colors of green I have narrowed it down to 3 colors.I am going to order a small can of each and have it sprayed out so I can see it better.It seems that some of the newer colors are alot brighter on the metallic side.

the three colors I have it down to are:
2000 GM 47g4 Rainforest metallic
2002 Range Rover Epson Green Mica #961
Mercedes Benz 6808/808 Ireland green dark Metallic

This is probably going to be the toughest decision of the build.

Does anyone know if the TTI headers will work on the stroker with power steering.If not is there a brand of headers that will work.I am also looking at Dougs headers.

the GG green looks great once its sprayed out! my GTX is done with it, just get the mixer to add a little extra gold flake and its really sharp!!

Here are a few pics taken after sandblasting.Now time to cut the quarters,inner fenders,floor pan and rear valance off and get to the fitting and welding in of the new panels.Hoping to have it painted by spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1854.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_1853.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,097
  • IMG_1852.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,121
  • IMG_1851.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,126
Well,I have been away from home working since xmas and it has been killing me to not see the progress my bodyman is doing on the cuda.Had to get my dad to go take some pics for me.New inner fenders are installed as well as the new floorpan.As you can see there are numerous other repairs that had to be done.Good to see the progress and am looking forward to seeing color on it and putting it back together.

Attachments

• DSCF8525 - Copy.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,046
  • DSCF8524 - Copy.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,052
  • DSCF8523 - Copy.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,310
  • DSCF8522 - Copy.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,074
  • DSCF8520 - Copy.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,080
  • DSCF8519 - Copy.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,049
  • DSCF8518 - Copy.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,029
  • DSCF8517 - Copy.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,088
  • DSCF8516 - Copy.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSCF8515 - Copy.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,041
a few more

Attachments

• DSCF8526 - Copy.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSCF8527 - Copy.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,051
  • DSCF8528 - Copy.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,037
I got a chance to go check on the progress of the body work today.Most of the metal work is done and they are stripping the last of the paint.SHe is all metal again!!!woohooo!!!!
The new quarters,drivers rear frame rail,rear valance,rust repair in doors and trunk floor extension work has been done since I last saw it.
Check out the trunk floor extension work.These were extensions that were originally for a duster that needed serious mods.I should have taken a pic of the trunk floor section as well.It looks just like it should.

Also got to check out a few paint samples he sprayed out for me.I am not sure I like any of them.May end up going with GG1 after all.Gonna get a little GG1 with a little extra flake added and see what that looks like.
Here are a few pics.

What color do you guy like of the 3.

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 955
  • IMG_2128.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 985
  • IMG_2118.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 971
  • IMG_2126.jpg