My 70 Duster build

-
i almost take offnse at this statement. and its not evn my car. Just because the equipment was not made by a manufacturer with a headquarters that is nominally on our shores does not make it "bad" or "ruining". also, you have contradicted yourself with your post. putting an updated doge engine is not having old stuff on it.

the process of taking what mother mopar gave us in the early 60's(when the a-body archetecture was designed, around 50 years ago) and updating and upgrading it to combat todays road conditions and drivers is what this thing is all about to some of us. jsut because we use technology from other manufacturers and eras does not mean that we are ruiing a car. it means that we are working to make our cars more usable, more enjoyable, and safer.

by looking at this swap, he is doing it in a way that the car could be put back to stock. how is that different from a modern hemi swap? (which, by the way, was developed under diamler, a german company). or for that matter, im using nissan 300ZX rear disc brakes on my 70. does that mean im ruining a car? what about mini starters, which are manufactured and designed by nippindenso and sold to chrysler?

im sorry to rant, but the old way of thinking on some of this stuff irks me. in america, at least the america i grew up in, innovation, improvement, and doing the best you can with what youve got was to be embraced, not looked down upon.

back to the origonal thread, this is going to be a neat swap. id take a look at incorperating the intercooler scoops into a front air dam to make them blens a little better. think something from the modern bonniville cars. just extend the rockers to match, and add a rear diffuser. complete the package. you obviuosly have the fab skills to pull it off.
michael
u don't put Japanese parts on a muscle car.it would be kinda cool if he put modern hemi engine or something.keep it mopar.

hey, its your car, do as you want. I give you props for doing it. I don't talk crap on any jap motor. Ive been in some turbo jap cars and there fast... there was a camaro with a supra motor in hot rod mag and was done nice.

I think jap motors get a bad wrap from the kids with big exhaust, and beat hondas... the inline 6 isn't no joke.

I wish you luck, Nice job so far

I think the project is cool and I respect that they can make good power too.

only problem I have......it just doesnt have that muscle sound.

otherwise, I think its cool as $h!t

here are some updates. got the scoops made now will have to duct the inner fenderwells.

1113101541.jpg

are you installing a jet engine or a 2.something jap turbo engine?..... I think you need to downsize the air ducts my friend.....overkill or am I just turbo stupid?

are you installing a jet engine or a 2.something jap turbo engine?..... I think you need to downsize the air ducts my friend.....overkill or am I just turbo stupid?
well, This is like saying "Your Hemi scoop is overkill for you small block!"

I personally wont put scoops for the intercoolers if they are under the fenders, they recive enough air there, but it is his deal and they didnt look bad at all, again if it was me i would do it as a sleeper and stock apearing as pocible, but he is going in a right path with his build and i really admire his work and again let me know if any help or advise i am here to help and not afraid of reveal the go fast secrets hehehee!

u should put updated dodge engine in this not a japense engine in.u are so ruining this car.this car is old its supposed to have old stuff on it.u should just keep your 360 in it and rebuild it.

u don't put Japanese parts on a muscle car.it would be kinda cool if he put modern hemi engine or something.keep it mopar.

Make up your mind...:confused:.

And I, for one, do not appreciate the vulgarities that you have chosen to use in some of your other posts. If you can't state your thoughts and ideas like an adult and without profanities, then just be quiet. It is highly disrespectful to the builder and also to everyone else that views your remarks.

well i am making more progress.... a few more mods and the welding begins..
1116101620.jpg

1116101659.jpg

here is where i am looking for feed-back, my feelings will not be hurt. though i am looking to feed the top mounted intercooler, oil cooler and intake and radiator with as much air as possible. the chin spoiler will be made from 3/16" aluminum like the scoops. i really like the IMSA style front spoilers with a W-30 inspiration. i need to exhaust my options and idea reserves. i also have a different motor in the works its a 7MGTE that dyno'd at 430HP to the tires. its getting freshened up at the machine shop. this engine was a deal i could not pass up!
1116101904.jpg

now that looks a lot more like it. i think id do a little less forward angle on the spoiler, shorten the amount it hangs down, round the edges, and recess the sccope a hair.

ny the way, are thos emounts aluminum?

and what is a 7MGTE? like, whats it out of? i havent heard of that one before....

who cares he doesn't have hotrod anymore.he has a rice rocket rod.ruined the value.
this car is not for sale, so value has no meaning. this is a car that will be passed down to my sons when i take the eternal dirt nap. so with your logic, i'd have to say i just upped the value of all the Duster's out there. some of what you say is understood, though i cannot get the same performance per C.I. with any other motor. power, weight savings and fuel efficiency. its a great combo. lets see a near 500 hp V8 get 20-25 mpg!!! and at the same time try to have a conversation while driving... if i want to loose my voice. i would go to a Slayer concert! which is not a bad idea if you ask me. and BTW its not Rice! for the record Honda's with boom boxes and fart cannon exhaust pipes are rice. supra's are in a league of their own. especially when they can easily hand just about any V8 muscle car their *** at the strip and in the curves.
Peace!!!

i also have a different motor in the works its a 7MGTE that dyno'd at 430HP to the tires. its getting freshened up at the machine shop. this engine was a deal i could not pass up!
Just make sure that the engine got the oil pump supply line upgrade and not the poor flow factory banjo fitting with hard tube, cuz it wont going to last long my friend, trust me i learn the hard way with those 7M engines!
Here is a picture of the -8 braded line upgrade that eliminates the banjo fitting.
dlgateway.php

Engine sounds better! And the scoop looks pretty good! Just, as was mentioned before, Tilt it a little more down...

whats the weight and size comparison of that to the slant?

im thinking it looks smaller, but its been a looooong time since ive had a slant car.

im thinking that you may wind up with better weight distribution and similar power to a built v-8 car. better handling, braking, ride, etc.

hmm...

i know i couldnt "effortlessly carry the block" on the last slant i messed with.

600LBS isnt bad. that weighs less than just the engine in my track truck.

Definitely an interesting build there. Great job on the engine mounts. The scoops look like those off one of those Olds 442 cars. They came out real nice.

Definitely an interesting build there. Great job on the engine mounts. The scoops look like those off one of those Olds 442 cars. They came out real nice.
yes a little mix of IMSA styling and W-30 olds influence. the scoops will be a necessity for bringing in the fresh air for the oil cooler and the intake. looks like i will have plenty of room for intercooler, the fans and radiator, more so that i originally thought.

here is the new 7MGTE cyl head. i painted the Valve covers in wrinkle black to go with the Mopar Hemi orange color theme. new pistons, bearings, gaskets and misc. parts have been ordered. will post the pics of the engine upon assembly...
20101125110228.jpg

well after hours of looking at front air dams. i saw a AMC Javelin that had the exact style i wanted. i had to bring the scoops closer together 3 inches and set them back further. getting crafty with the hot glue gun and some painted cardboard. this is what i got so far... my closest "go to" friend says yes so far. what are your opinions?

1126101045.jpg

1126101318.jpg

-
Back