My 70 Duster build

-
that makes me feel hot and sassy. LOL!:toothy10:

Looks really good so far, are you gonna continue to use the supra truck rims?

i was glad to see what it looked like on the ground. i had to back off the torsion bars 10 turns each to lower it back to normal ride height. i actually scored this set of wheels, they are exactly like the Supratruck's wheels. i bought two sets of these when i found them. the Original front wheels on the supratruck were stolen years back.

Muuch better! If you make sure the bottom of the spoiler is lined up with the bottom of the scoops it should make look well integrated. But the angle looks about right!

One other question, Are you keeping the head Aluminum or painting it orange like the block.

this reminds me of one of those J.G Wentworth commercials, Its your money, use it when you need it....... Its your car build it how you want it.

Nice work. Congrats and kudos for doing something different. There's no shortage of "me-too" cars out there. If everyone was a purist, the hobby would be boring.

I like it! What if the scoops angled like the spoiler? Just a thought. Oh and paint the whole engine orange and try to disguise it as a mopar engine. That will make people scratch their heads

Muuch better! If you make sure the bottom of the spoiler is lined up with the bottom of the scoops it should make look well integrated. But the angle looks about right!

One other question, Are you keeping the head Aluminum or painting it orange like the block.
the head is staying aluminum. i think it would be too much orange if i were to paint it.

well great news today! my son and i were in the garage BS'ing and decided to set the Head on to see if everything fit. the intake clears the master cylinder with plenty of room. i was worried it was going to hit.
1128101734.jpg

1128101737.jpg

Um... Do you know that you will loose a TON of efficiency by placing the inter-cooler behind the radiator? enough to possibly be working backwards?

It almost looks as if it is gonna be placed below it. Interesting if so.

Um... Do you know that you will loose a TON of efficiency by placing the inter-cooler behind the radiator? enough to possibly be working backwards?

the radiator and intercooler are stacked. there is nothing in front of either one. the air dam will direct air flow from under the bumper for the intercooler. the radiator is fed through the Grill. i assure this project is thought out. my phone takes crappy pics.

the radiator and intercooler are stacked. there is nothing in front of either one. the air dam will direct air flow from under the bumper for the intercooler. the radiator is fed through the Grill. i assure this project is thought out. my phone takes crappy pics.

Ok! I see it now.. the phone pics are kinda fuzzy. Can't wait to see more!

core support Mods and brackets...
1205001224.jpg

1205101237.jpg
1205101347.jpg

1205101648.jpg

1205101722.jpg

Remote oil filter fits really nice in this part of the K member. i am currently looking for a deal on a larger oil cooler and cooling Fan on EvilBay. i will post pics when i get parts.
1205101503.jpg

1205101457.jpg

Looking good!

Two Suggestions, I'd move the Oil filter up just a bit.
And you might consider a tubular x or diagonal brace for the core support. As you just cut away a bunch of the support in a area that is fairly flexible anyway.

I have an oil cooler that might work for you. It is off a Dodge ram. We replaced it at the shop I work at because the bracket was bent. It is long and skinny. I'll try and measure it so you can see if it will work.

yea I would cut the intakes to match the angle of the air dam.

Great build,

Anyone who does not like it step up to the plate offer him a butt load of money and save this Duster and when I say a butt load enough where he can't say no or buy him the parts to do it proper and keep it Mopar but only the best will do. And you won't so keep your negative posts out of here.

Offer criticism of what he is doing if he is doing something mechanically wrong and you have a legit fix not a complaint of I would never do that to my car type thing, (that is good it is not yours it is his.) It is one thing to say I would not do that to my car and another to say he is ruining it.

Personally I don't like the mixing manufactures either even if it is putting Mopar in another, but I see no need to come here and bash a guy who is still saving a Mopar from the crusher and putting Mopar blood in his kids veins (yes he is mixing it with import, but that is fine, point is his kids will think Mopars are cool, and maybe end up in the lifestyle also, further improving the car culture)

i haven't been doing too much lately. though here is what i have so far. i opened the wheel well for the oil cooler, made brackets and mounted the cooler. i have a shield built to protect the cooler from rocks and debris. will post pics when mounted.
1214001536.jpg

i think, i plan on making the scoops solely for fresh air. i have sectioned off a K&N panel filter for fitment. so far so good. still have to make a retaining ring for the filters
1215101348.jpg

i will be doing the same thing to the other side too. i plan on splitting the intake piping and routing them to each scoop. it will be a challenge. i think i can pull it off and have it functional. figure start with 3" from the turbo and then split it off to two 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" intake pipes leading to the scoops..

Not something I would do but to each his own. I applaud you for being different and I look forward to seeing how this turns out. I realize that you are getting a lot of horsepower out of that engine but torque is also important. I can't wait to see the quarter mile times. Again a very cool car!!!! Don't worry about the purists getting angy, the way I look at it you're not doing anything to this car that can't be reversed later should you decide to do so. This build reminds me of an artical in Hot Rod magazine a few months ago when somebody took a 1967 Camaro RS/SS and put a Toyota engine in it. Man you shoulda heard the Chevy guys crying FOUL. Surprising because you never see them having a problem with a Chevy enging goining into anything else LOL. Anyway more power to ya brother, Good Luck

Have you thought about putting the ducts in the bumper? I am currently going through the process of putting two air ducts in the bumper to take in cold air for mine =)... non-turbo though.

-
Back