My 70 Duster build

-
Have you thought about putting the ducts in the bumper? I am currently going through the process of putting two air ducts in the bumper to take in cold air for mine =)... non-turbo though.

the bumper brackets are in the way for my scoop design. i had thought about the idea though it was not going to be easy so i opted for the less challenging way.

Hi, I hope you dont put A/C or P/Steering on it. It would take all the power that rice burner can make to run the A/C or P/Steering. I will let you ride shotgun in mine though. Check it out under hunky in member restorations. LOL Steve

Hello....... I have been admiring this project from a distance. And I have to say Great work on the project on your hand(s). Its coming along beautifully and attention to detail is a plus =) John

Hi, I hope you dont put A/C or P/Steering on it. It would take all the power that rice burner can make to run the A/C or P/Steering. I will let you ride shotgun in mine though. Check it out under hunky in member restorations. LOL Steve

well i hate to bring bad news there. this engine did dyno at 430hp to the tires in the last car it was in. not too bad for a 3.0 liter. it is most likely far superior to your engine H.P./C.I.... so what size engine are you playing with? :toothy10:

well so far the pay cut has really taken its toll here, though i am slowly continuing to see this project through. even if it now takes years, like i am anticipating.... i just got the pistons and bearings in. so now the rotating assembly is coming together.
0223111904.jpg

0223111905.jpg

well the 7MGTE is all assembled and in place. now it is time to coast for a while... i had to make room in the garage for my 79 Rabbit's 1.9 Diesel swap. this lame *** $4.00 a gallon has me pissed off. though it wont be so bad when my rabbit is sipping fuel at 50 MPG! 50mpg car for under $3000 cant go wrong.
0312011727.jpg

0312011755a.jpg

0312011936.jpg

i was wondering what happened to this build.

and post a lik to the rabbit build. i may just have to do one for my new DD/Autox toy.

Wish that they would have more photos :|

I would like to know how this would go with a 68-74 Nova and what kind of transmission would it come together with :wink:

the trans can either be a w58, good for < 275hp. the R154 trans should hold 500HP. both are 5speeds. the compatibility to a chevy nova, you will have to do your homework. there are two sump choices for the oil pan front and center sump.

The Duster has been sitting collecting dust, but my reasons are the kids cars are a higher priority. i have 3 sons that are at or near the driving age and all have project cars that we are building. the duster is at a point that i need to sink a few more $'s in but i need to finish my 61 jeep VW Diesel swap first. LINK http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/vw-1-9-diesel-swap-1961-willys-jeep-1319228/index3.html
i have a need for 40 mpg and off road capability. so when the kids cars are done and the jeep is done i will have the garage freed up i will be on full throttle to get the duster done. i want to finish it and the family wants it done too. if i done get these kids cars ready, i may never see the day they move out and make it on their own. Due to the risks of driving here in southern Ca, the Duster is not a vehicle i plan on using very often so i need to get these other vehicles up and running first. Thanks for the interest, it really does help motivate me.

i almost take offnse at this statement. and its not evn my car. Just because the equipment was not made by a manufacturer with a headquarters that is nominally on our shores does not make it "bad" or "ruining". also, you have contradicted yourself with your post. putting an updated doge engine is not having old stuff on it.

the process of taking what mother mopar gave us in the early 60's(when the a-body archetecture was designed, around 50 years ago) and updating and upgrading it to combat todays road conditions and drivers is what this thing is all about to some of us. jsut because we use technology from other manufacturers and eras does not mean that we are ruiing a car. it means that we are working to make our cars more usable, more enjoyable, and safer.

by looking at this swap, he is doing it in a way that the car could be put back to stock. how is that different from a modern hemi swap? (which, by the way, was developed under diamler, a german company). or for that matter, im using nissan 300ZX rear disc brakes on my 70. does that mean im ruining a car? what about mini starters, which are manufactured and designed by nippindenso and sold to chrysler?

im sorry to rant, but the old way of thinking on some of this stuff irks me. in america, at least the america i grew up in, innovation, improvement, and doing the best you can with what youve got was to be embraced, not looked down upon.

back to the origonal thread, this is going to be a neat swap. id take a look at incorperating the intercooler scoops into a front air dam to make them blens a little better. think something from the modern bonniville cars. just extend the rockers to match, and add a rear diffuser. complete the package. you obviuosly have the fab skills to pull it off.
michael

A-FREAKIN-MEN!!!

While I would like to see a modern mopar motor in the car, the swap he's going with is sick. I don't know a thing about these motors, but I know the nomlecture 2JZ, and am aware of the insane power output they are capable of. 1000+ hp isn't a shocker anymore with these things, which is just rediculas. :burnout:

Going to be reeeeal interesting to see how it all unfolds.

After thinking over a few things, i figured it would be best to sell my 74 Datsun 610 so that i can fund my Duster to running near condition. I just picked up a ton of parts from Aaron at Driftmotion. I really have to give this guy some props. he went way out of his way to help me. So far i got a new clutch and all of the fork pivots and parts i needed, also got some 550cc injectors, 3.5" dia. Aluminum Drive-shaft, clutch master and slave cylinders, so my 14 year old son helped me align the clutch and stuff in the transmission. we set the drive-shaft in and all fits perfectly. we reassembled and installed the steering column. i need to design and fab the trans mounts after i make a few more measurements. looking to pick up the 3 inch turbo outlet and down pipe tomorrow. this thing is coming together pretty well so far.
Alum35indriveline.jpg

IMG01537-20120710-1844.jpg

IMG01540-20120710-1921.jpg

IMG01542-20120710-2010.jpg

IMG01544-20120710-2011.jpg

Been working some late nights, making some progress. so far trans cross member is half completed, the exhaust is pretty much done, i just need a 3 inch turn down. running 3' straight through. clutch master and slave are installed. i have a few more things to do until the clutch master push rod is functional. Thank God there are plenty of turbo Volvos at the wrecking yard for inter-cooler piping. this Frankenstein inter-cooler piping is temporary.

IMG01582-20120714-1239.jpg

IMG01583-20120714-1427.jpg

IMG01598-20120714-1510.jpg

IMG01602-20120714-1511.jpg

IMG01603-20120714-2129.jpg

IMG01609-20120714-2131.jpg

IMG01611-20120714-2341.jpg

Having owned a turbo 76 Datsun 610 back in the day I know where you are coming from. You are an engine swaping fool! Nothing wrong with different, it just don't float everyones boat.

@ 383Duster I do this as a challenge to my skills. plus i don't follow the herd either. i have 4 engine swaps going all in the past 4 years. My 610 was wanting turbo too. but i was thinking more like VW TDI. the $5000 price tag for the complete TDI swap wasn't too appealing. though, it would be if my other cars were done.

The trans cross member is done. the exhaust and everything clears perfectly. its kinda ugly but it should do its job. i don't have a shop, just a garage with minimal tools, no jigs or a Fab table.
IMG01691-20120723-1124.jpg

IMG01692-20120723-1124.jpg

IMG01697-20120723-1125.jpg

IMG01710-20120723-1131.jpg

-
Back