My 73 Dart Gets A Heart Transplant

-

_Sam

Reaction score
I got this car about a year ago and what a POS! This poor thing was rode hard and not even put away! My DAD started the body work last summer which included completely rebuilding the roof were someone decided to use the Sun Roof for a trampolene! When we got the car, it would not even get up our drive way without stalling. It turned out that a compression check showed 1 hole at 0 PSI and a second @ 30 and the rest were at 90 PSI. We found the dead hole had a push rod completely punch through the roker and the inside parts of the lifter laying the oil galley. Due to funds we only replaced the broken parts and got the car running, if you couild call it that. It at least could get out of its own way and would at least stay running, but the power war way in the basement. I have to hold the peddle to the floor and it will get to 75 or 80 on a good day.
Well Now, comes Graduation and I have the funds to get the car's engine rebuilt with the help of my Dad. He just finished the restoration of his 74 Duster and he promised this "Diamond in the Rough" WILL look and run better when we are done.

Here are a few pics of us getting started. Man this is messy work. This things had only 4 quarts of oil in it but a whole case ON it!!

Anyway after one day, we have the engine out and broke down to take to the machine shop in the morning. Tomorrow starts the real fun and I get to learn how to use a rag an d what Simple Green is.

Attachments

• dart003.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 313
  • dart013.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 272
  • dart012.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 289
  • dart011.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 302
  • dart010.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 300
  • dart009.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 299
  • dart007.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 308
  • dart006.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 291
  • dart005.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 306
  • dart004.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 287
Here is a second batch of pics.

Attachments

• dart014.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 299
  • dart015.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 302
  • dart016.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 287
Today we took the Block, Crank and Heads to the machine shop to get them looked at to find out what kind of shape they were it. Good news is the block did not have to much ring ridge and the heads had only a couple of valve issues. However my crank is toast! The rear side of the thrust bearing had worn the crank beyond repair. I now have to buy a Master kit with a crank. The machinist asked me it the transmission was ok. I told him that when I got the car the trans was totaled. My dad rebuilt it and we have been driving it fo a year now and no problems. He said the crank damage was coused by the transmission, How? I have no idea.

Anyway, today we got the right side of the engine compartment cleaned. Also got the K Frame and steering box cleaned and painted. We must of dug out 15 lbs of dirt from the K frame. The guy who had this car before must have done some SERIOUS Stump jumping with it!

OH, I just realized I posted this under my Dad's account, OH well as well.

Attachments

• Dart018.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 263
  • DART017.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 271
My son has lost interest in keeping up with the blog, so here are some pics of our progress. We got eh engine back from the machine shop about a week and a half ago. We have been working on it steady since and we now have the engine in and almost ready to start. All we are waiting on is a carb and radiator.

All the dog had to say is " This is hard work"!

Attachments

• dart029.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 241
  • dart028.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 231
  • dart027.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 237
  • dart026.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 241
  • dart025.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 240
  • dart024.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 226
  • dart023.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 219
  • dart022.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 221
  • dart021.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 228
Good progress- like the dog...know that feeling when your in the middle of a part of the project and its just frustrating, just gotta keep going and once you get over the hump- you feel as if you have accomplished something.

TodaY it is going to get to 104 degrees and I am done! Got the A/C compressor, altenator and power steering pump all installed. All we need now is plug wires, radiator and Carb. Hope to get those in a couple of days. Got the oil primed and cranked the starter. Pressure is way good, the oil light goes out after only 1 second and the needle jumps up to 60 psi on crancking.

Attachments

• dart030.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 209
  • dart031.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 204
The engine was bored .030 over and a Melling Torquer cam. My son was on a budget and wanted to keep the gas milage some what resonable. We figure with the 500 CFM Eldebrock carb and "IF" he keeps his foot light he should be able to get close to 20 MPG, may be better. He wanted to go 4 barrel so we went on the smaller side.

Got the Dart running today. Every thing seems to check out ok and we are starting our break in period. The kid wants to tromp on the gas, but I think he will exersice better judgement, at least for a while.

Attachments

• dart032.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 158
  • dart033.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 151
Young guy sure is lucky to have a Dad..slash...personal mechanic.LOL.The car and engine looks great.I just hope your son learns responsibility,driving these old cars.Good luck,nice work!:toothy7:

-
Back