My 74 Duster Project

-

'Bout Time!!

Reaction score
So, I've been working on my car for a while and I keep meaning to start a thread on my progress But I have been so busy working on it I havent had time to do it. So I will try and catch up with my work a little at a time. You should know, this is my second classic Mopar, my first was a 70 Belvedere foor door, long gone (also a sad story I will tell another time), I have had a 93 Dakota, loved that truck(another bummer of a story) and my wife drives a Pacifica. Back to the Duster, I picked it up in March of this year off craigslist. A previous owner swapped the front small bolt drums for an unknown large bolt disc setup. They also swapped in some buckets and had the seats recovered and a headliner. The car was in a horse barn with flat tires and the guy couldnt get it started. The Floors looked good from inside and the trunk had some rust issues. So i low ball him a bit and he takes it.
I get the car home and I had it running in 30 minutes, amazing what some fresh gas will do. Well this is also my first real project and I have no idea where to start so I do the worst thing possible and do nothing for four months except pick up a few parts here and there, including a painless wiring harness, a spare tire patch piece for the trunk(whatever its called), a complete 8 1/4" rear, dash pad, a 360 car oil pan, and a radiator.
I finally get going on removing the old wiring, it was pretty ratty, and one thing leads to another, I notice the firewall is covered in surface rust. so i decide to remove the dash,it was tack welded in to the a pillars and bolted by the kick panel all the bolts at the windshield were gone. I start wire brushing the rust away and decide i would go ahead and do the floors. Thats when i start hitting patches of bondo. Someone had put masking tap under the floor and then bondoed over the rust spots. There wasnt a terrible amount just a few holes here and there. I lucked out with my nieghbor he has a really nice pro grade wire welder and he started teaching me how to weld. I will post some pictures tomorrow or the next day and I will pick this up then. Thanks for reading!

So this is what my car looked like when I first ggot it home. Then after I gave it a quik scrubbing. Followed by the engine and interior.

Attachments

• 2011 Josh 004.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 2011 Josh 015.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 2011 Josh 013.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 2011 Josh 012.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 2011 Josh 011.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 2011 Josh 010.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 2011 Josh 007.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 2011 Josh 008.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 212
  • 2011 Josh 006.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 2011 Josh 005.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 235
I look forward to seeing your progress, nice project. Most importantly, have fun doing it! I'll be following along...:thumrigh:

Well, I'm gonna try this again. I have accomplished a great deal in the past three years thanks mostly to the wealth of information I have found on this site. I plan on telling my story and posting pictures of the progress I made along the way. One reason I am doing this is I have been working out of town a lot in the past two years and I only get to work on the Duster a few hours a week. so this is a way for me to "re-live" the work I have done. Unfortunately, I am away from home at the moment and have no pictures with me. So until this week end, it will just be a quick story.

After finding the poorly patched floor pans I remove all the bondo. In retrospect, I wish I had replaced the entire floor pan. However, at the time I decided to just patch the holes. I also found similar holes in the trunk floor, so I did that as well. I also cut out the spare tire well and "cupped" the new one in. I don't think I did a bad job on one of my first welding jobs. Not perfect by any means, but....
I did find a couple pictures on my computer, but I am having a brain fart as to how to post them.

ok here goes

Attachments

• JOSH PERSONAL 130.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 119
  • JOSH PERSONAL 129.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 134
  • JOSH PERSONAL 070.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 121
  • JOSH PERSONAL 069.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 121
  • JOSH PERSONAL 068.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 114
  • JOSH PERSONAL 067.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 124
  • JOSH PERSONAL 066.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 123
Nice work so far, I should get you to come out to California to help me work on my '74 Duster. lol

Well, the patching of the floor was a huge job and I am glad its done it took forever. After I finished the floors, I decided to make my own torque boxes and subframe connectors based on the designs I found here. I also cleaned all the surface rust, dirt, and grime off of the undercarriage and coated everything with POR15 including the floor pans and the trunk floor. Then I cleaned up the 8.25 rear end and put that thing in there. I'll follow up with some pictures tomorrow!

Just checked on my car. It's so close!

20160507_113047.jpg

-
Back