My avatar is ill.

-

Wheel Chock

Reaction score
My avatar on this site is Chaucer, he's a rescued racing greyhound that I got from Hemopet in Garden Grove California. He's been with me for over 5 years now and he's just turning 11, which is old for a greyhound. He takes his retirement very seriously and has done an amazing job training me to satisfy his every whim. Anyway, for the past few days he's been acting strangely, panting, gasping, not eating and being generally listless and uninvolved. He went to the vet yesterday and Xrays showed a tumor growing around his heart. This is inoperable and will eventually kill him, but it's not his immediate problem. The blood test results came back today and show that he has pancreatitis. This is what's causing his pain and colud end up being fatal. We've started him on antibiotics and pain killers and are hoping for the best. He's the best dog I've ever had and it breaks my heart to see him suffering like this.
Thanks for letting me vent.

So sorry to hear that Chaucer isn't feeling well. Thank you for providing a "forever" home for him.
Rescue dogs are the best. We're on our third Rhodesian Ridgeback rescue and also our first Siberian Huskey rescue.
Rescue dogs seem to bring a special blessing to their "forever" homes.
Stay strong for Chaucer. Our last Ridgeback lasted several years longer than originally thought when he started developing tumors. Very healthy diet was the key.

Addin Chaucer to the prayer list here.

x2
I love my dogs and would do anything for them. Make that pup comfortable.

So sorry to hear your pooch is not feeling well, do your best to make him as comfortable as you can.....

I'm so sorry to read this news Irazor ... have been there myself. Lost my friend Roscoe to pancreatitis last year despite over a week at the vet's intensive care unit. I hope and pray Chauncer fairs better than she did. You have a big family here to lean on but here's a big internet hug in the meantime <<<<< Irazor >>>>>.

Our prayers going out for Chaucer and your family.
My puppy is a rescue too.
He is now 12 years old and starting to loose his back legs.

Later,
Bruce B.

Like has been said, try to keep him comfy and give him as much attention as you can.

Sorry to hear this. Here is a shot of my guy Guinness who passed last November. I still miss him.

Attachments

• Guinness01.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 192
For awhile it seemed that Chaucer was holding his own, but unfortunately things only got worse. Last Tuesday he stopped eating and on Wednesday he just stayed in his bed and kept wetting himself. He'd get up for us to change his bedding, but just stand there and watch us until we were done. On the few occasions he went outside, he just stood there looking uncomfortable. Thursday morning I took him to the vet again and they kept him overnight on a catheter and IV. Friday afternoon the doctor called me and said after reviewing Chaucer's X-Rays and tests with another vet, he didn't think there was any real hope for recovery. I left work that afternoon and went to see him. He was so miserable, he didn't even look at me. I couldn't bear to put him through any more suffering and I made the inevitable decision. I held his head while he went to "sleep".

As much as I know that it's the right thing to do, it's still never easy.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes and prayers.

RIP Chaucer. I feel your pain brother.

I will add this here as well. Hope it helps some.

A Pet's Ten Commandments

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I only have you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

~Author Unknown

I'm real sorry about that. I have a cat named Stubby that is 12. He's a big framed cat and weighs 26 plus pounds. My wife and I helped mama cat bring Stubby followed by five brothers and sisters into this world. We gave a few away, but now all we have of that litter is Stubby and his sister, BumBum. Although they both are still very physically healthy, Stubby has started showing signs of feline dementia. He gets lost in the house and cries really loud. We have to call him so he remembers where we are. He may have a long time left, but since this has started happening, it's made me realize his time is coming one day. I don't know how I will handle that. I wish you all the strength in the world. People who don't have pets cannot begin to know what losing one is like.

People who don't have pets cannot begin to know what losing one is like.

Amen to that.....

Sorry for your loss lrazor :sad8:. I'm sure Chaucy thanks you for rescuing him and giving him lots of love.

Our Golden is 15 now and slowing down, I don't know how I would feel if I had to make that decision but we all know it was for the best, remember all the good times, the fun times and the silly times you had with a true friend .... all the best to you.

I think you can learn alot about a person by how they treat dogs. You did a good thing. More than once, it seems.

Attachments

• IMAG0255.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 126
Cats too! I have a 16 year old Siamese that is starting to show signs of kidney issues, and I dread the day I have to make "that decision".

-
Back