My Employer sucks!

-
Been there, man.
It best to bide your time and have a good memory. karma works! I have left jobs over these types of issues and I have also stuck around and looked for work while enduring the abuse. In my experience it is much smarter to find something better and move on than to react in an emotional way and just quit.

I have been lucky to have had an opportunity fall in my lap that basically made me my former employers main competition and I relished the chance to drive them out of business. I took the high road and used my new opportunity to provide great service and support to customers and I never bad-mouthed my former employer.

He nearly passed out when I told him I was leaving for another opportunity at his competition. He tried to tell me all the bad things about them and why I should reconsider.

Eventually he sold his business to my new employer when he was forced out by the franchise he represented. His reputation was so bad the franchise company told him to sell or be left with no brand.

He bought a donut shop!

Work hard, use your time in Chicago to make as many contacts as you can, look hard and something will come your way.

pete

Ever been in the military? Doubt it because of what you are sniveling about. Being sent to Chicago beats the hell out of being sent to Kabul. Count your blessings and enjoy the trim, there's plenty of that where you're going.

Man that doesn't sound like anything to ***** about to me. I would love a free trip to Chicago with free food and a free place to stay while getting paid for it.

There a lot worse émployers out there then that.

Not complaining, just a kind of funny story. A few years ago, I had to fly to Connecticut for training. They paid me 8 hours for an 11 hour plane trip(including layover), said something to my supervisor, he said "well, you weren't working, they paid you 8 hours to sit on your butt", my reply was "well, I couldn't very well get up and step outside and have a smoke, now could I", his reply was, "guess I never thought of it that way."

There is always Boeing....

Boeing correctly spelled LAYOFFS.

Why do you have 4 checked bags?Are you paid on salary?

Like what was said earlier grin and bear it the alternative is worse.

If someone tells me one more time i'm lucky to have a job i'm gonna clock them,however they are absolutly correct it is an employers market. I hate where i work [everyone knows],most of the head management,my job, but it pays the bills [bairly] i'm 53 years old,been here 16 years have 5 weeks vacation a year.I was alomst at 18$ hr. 4-5 years ago when the economy tanked we got a pay cut 2 days before payday went from 17.93 hr. to 13.25 hr. in 3 minutes,lost health insurance,401k matching and got our hours cut to 32 a week [back to 40 now] all in a week, you bet i was pissed but i stayed determined to keep plugging away to take care of my family so you got a week in hell well deal with it stop complaining,there are a lot of folks that ain't as lucky to have what you and i have a paycheck!!!!!!!!

I travel lots for my company on my own dime and time. There are always pros and cons. If you set the travel up right, and sign up with companies like Hilton, Aeroplan etc. sometime you can manage to get a few perks after awhile. If you cant have fun in Chicago........ Time in and a positive attitude goes a long ways. Good luck. Andrew

Can you work your family into it for a family vacation of sorts? Not ideal as you have to pay for airfare more hotel and such but that is what we try to do when my employer or my wife's sends us somewhere. I have been all over this country and this world and have not once been paid for any travel time outside of my normal hours. I would think if you have a few hours to spend together with family over New Year's in Chicago you have a great opportunity to turn this into a very good time.

Having spent approximately 20 of the last 25 Christmas' away from home I can say your employer sucks, but many do. The money doesn't matter.....you'll never see the kids excitement in the morning again. There is no doubt that most people have no idea what working on Christmas is like as the majority of businesses close for the holidays. The small percentage who do understand the feeling of hearing the kids open presents, IF, you are able to contact them in the morning while it happens. You are working so be thankful for that, but take it from someone whose kids grew up before he knew it, Christmas at home IS important. You can never get those times back. My 2 cents....

Man,you could always get a different job or start your own business. I know it sucks being away from family been their done it. Save your money know.

At least they're flying you there. I always have to take a train when I travel and that can take awhile depending where I have to go and being on salary there is no such thing as overtime or weekend (travel) compensation. Glad I have a job and Holidays can always be moved to a day you're home.

that is pretty typical, also the pay associated with a company trip. they will likely have a night out on the town with per diem.
It sounds as though you are disgruntled and detached from the company and it is a Mc-Job to you and maybe drinking some company kool-aid and team building is just what you need.
I don't think many believe they make what they deserve, but it is the wage you agreed to when you accepted the position. and when you don't do 100% of the job they hired you to do, do they take money away from you? of course not... OT is nice, at most companies it ist verboten!
I used to work for a company as a DM I lived in Portland and my district started in Federal Way went to My Vernon and over to oak Harbor 12 stores. When I went home it was at the most one day a week. I lived in hotels and mostly ate fast food. I did that for almost 3 years.

Having spent approximately 20 of the last 25 Christmas' away from home I can say your employer sucks, but many do. The money doesn't matter.....you'll never see the kids excitement in the morning again. There is no doubt that most people have no idea what working on Christmas is like as the majority of businesses close for the holidays. The small percentage who do understand the feeling of hearing the kids open presents, IF, you are able to contact them in the morning while it happens. You are working so be thankful for that, but take it from someone whose kids grew up before he knew it, Christmas at home IS important. You can never get those times back. My 2 cents....

Hes gonna be gone the 29th to the 5th

every 5 yrs they have a company meeting. they are putting us all up in a 4 star hotel and have all our meals planed out for us. the worst part will be all the "team building" events. bowling, dinners, etc...... just sucks having to leave for a week during a holiday and being away from family and my hobbies.
Wow, send the family to Grandmothers...4 star hotel, Bowling, meals? Might want to quit while you are ahead!

Boeing correctly spelled LAYOFFS.

Why do you have 4 checked bags?Are you paid on salary?

Like what was said earlier grin and bear it the alternative is worse.

If someone tells me one more time i'm lucky to have a job i'm gonna clock them,however they are absolutly correct it is an employers market. I hate where i work [everyone knows],most of the head management,my job, but it pays the bills [bairly] i'm 53 years old,been here 16 years have 5 weeks vacation a year.I was alomst at 18$ hr. 4-5 years ago when the economy tanked we got a pay cut 2 days before payday went from 17.93 hr. to 13.25 hr. in 3 minutes,lost health insurance,401k matching and got our hours cut to 32 a week [back to 40 now] all in a week, you bet i was pissed but i stayed determined to keep plugging away to take care of my family so you got a week in hell well deal with it stop complaining,there are a lot of folks that ain't as lucky to have what you and i have a paycheck!!!!!!!!

Now THIS is something to ***** about....

If they are sending you that far for some classes they might be some good ones. "Team building" might be worth checking out. Whatever certificates you get are yours to keep. From personel experience I would recommend staying away from the hotel bar and remember you are there to learn something. It sounds like you could have a future with this employer.

go with the flow. if you like your job do it. if you don't quit. i have been on salary for over 30 years, worked my *** off, with alot of unpaid overtime. it has been worth my time . now that i'm older i realize the checks not bad, the boss gives me less to do and treats me like an equal. most times a person is rewarded for their sacrifices. it doesn't happen overnight. work your way up the ladder. been in pest control over 30 yrs.

I busted my *** for a lot of years and got screwed out of a LOT of pay for work I completed while employed for other contractors then decided to start my own business and now I am in a real uncertain situation where I do not have time on my side right now. I will be royally screwed come February if I do not find feasible employment. I know it is my own fault for having all my eggs in one basket but I thought the contract I had was going to provide me with some sense of financial security. Now I am on the outside looking in. Still have no reasons as to why my contract was cut. My business even made the December 2012 cover of BBB Raleigh as a Spotlighted Accredited Business and has had no complaints against it. With a wife who is disabled and her 3rd hearing for disability not until April 15th and 3 Small children. We are praying for a miracle to happen. Rental Company will not tolerate no payments come Feb 1st. To the OP. Be happy that you are blessed to be employed. Time away from family sure as hell beats being on the streets with a family and no place to go. I may be heading in this direction very soon. If things do not get better in the next week, I'll be selling the Duster and then selling off any possessions I can just to keep the roof over my head.

So you're getting a paid vacation to Chicago and you're complaining about it? I understand just not wanting to go if you aren't into that sort of thing but what made you think you were going to get sympathy from a bunch of hard working gearheads? I'm pretty young and this even strikes a nerve with me.

I get nearly as much OT at my job as I want but if they sent me on a vacation and told me I couldn't get OT, I'd just suck it up and go. If you are relying on OT to pay the bills then you need to recalculate your finances. OT should never be used for bills because it can't be relied on.

Sometimes you have to spend your own time on work without getting compensated for it. There are a lot of people out there that spend more than a couple plane rides doing work at the office or home without being paid for it. Unless your employer is constantly having you work without paying you, then just suck it up and deal with it for the few hours a year you have to spend unpaid.

you guys are all hung up on the word "vacation"....... i have 1 hr every day that is not supervised. they have scheduled vans to take us to and from the functions. i guess after 11pm i am free to do what i want. but we start the next day at 7 am. there will be no sight seeing, no exploring the town or eating at local restaurants. I have to share a room with a co-worker and am going to miss a holiday with my family. as for the comment about the military....... IF I WERE CALLED UPON TO DEFEND THE FREEDOMS THAT AMERICANS ENJOY, I WOULD LAY MY LIFE ON THE LINE TO DEFEND IT! The company i work for is a small fabrication shop that was facing bankruptcy several years prior to my employment and was bought out by a very large retail business in the same industry. I love my job and the people i work with on a day to day basis but the company that owns us and that is putting on the meeting treat our branch like the red headed step children. we are all blue collar workers that take pride in our work. our owner company is mostly white collar pen pushers that only care about profits and the bottom line. this is not a vacation. this is the company patting themselves on the back and making us watch. you would have to see the work place dynamic and the way things operate to understand. I do not count on my overtime to pay my bills. that is what i fund my dart with. i make enough to pay the household bills and put some money aside for savings. my wife has agreed that my overtime can be used as i please. i have a very tight knit family and when i took this job it was and for the most part is a monday-friday job that allows me to see my family. i have been blessed with a job that lets me use my hands and my mind to do things i enjoy doing but i do feel that an entire week over a holiday weekend is a burden on a family man. to those that dont agree, that is your opinion. i happen to have a family that i cherish the time i spend with.

I remember a few years back when I was raising two young kids I had to leave right before Christmas, no overtime or holiday pay. I was told four days prior to getting on the plane and was going to be gone for at least a few months, no definate return date. It was called Operation Desert Shield/Storm and I was basically raising those kids myself. The only difference is I didn't have the option to quit.

-
Back