My Love/Hate with making headers

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
I had a day with no kid or wife I got the hair up my *** to work on my headers.
The love - using my creative side and enjoying some garage time
The Hate - mocking them up about four times to see what tube paths will work. Having to finish the job with scraps because of the four mock ups. Having to fill less than perfect joints.
They are 2 3/8" tubes to a 4" collectors I will be covering them with the volcanic titanium wrap stuff.

Attachments

• 20151004_184445.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 525
  • 20151004_184508.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 524
  • 20151004_184652.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 526
  • 20151004_184640.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 533
Well I give you a lot of points for even trying. "Somewhere" I saw some fancy flex gizmos you an use to mock stuff like that up.

I had a day with no kid or wife I got the hair up my *** to work on my headers.
The love - using my creative side and enjoying some garage time
The Hate - mocking them up about four times to see what tube paths will work. Having to finish the job with scraps because of the four mock ups. Having to fill less than perfect joints.
They are 2 3/8" tubes to a 4" collectors I will be covering them with the volcanic titanium wrap stuff.

these look awesome! Want to build me a set haha

Someone who can feel my pain. You said it exactly how it happens for me, I've built 4 sets.

It starts out with huge enthusiasm, creativity flows and then about 3/4 of the way through I say NEVER AGAIN!

Keep going, you know they will look beautiful.

I buy the bends.
I notice half way through that the long side of the J bend is slightly fatter than the rest of the pipe, my fault for buying the cheap bends. I also couldn't get 45s so that's more work. I already see that the #7 needs to be straightened out at the head.
Now I need to decide if I want to leave the pipes round at the flanges or square them. either way the tubes are bigger than the flanges and those are bigger than the head. I started messing with the mufflers and there is not a tone of room. I think I will have to wrap the whole system from the collector back get them coated.

I buy the bends.
I notice half way through that the long side of the J bend is slightly fatter than the rest of the pipe, my fault for buying the cheap bends. I also couldn't get 45s so that's more work. I already see that the #7 needs to be straightened out at the head.
Now I need to decide if I want to leave the pipes round at the flanges or square them. either way the tubes are bigger than the flanges and those are bigger than the head. I started messing with the mufflers and there is not a tone of room. I think I will have to wrap the whole system from the collector back get them coated.

Where did you buy the mandrel bends?

These work nice

http://www.icengineworks.com/

02cd2a_e1ec729474f740adb2b3fa1931a12af4.jpg_srz_p_600_407_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Tubular Automotive also has "make your own" kits in numerous sizes. You can ask them to include some connector pieces (a 2" OD pipe will take a 1 7/8" OD connector or slip piece) and you can put them together without having to weld them in place for the layout. Tubular Automotive is in Mass. at 781-878-9875

not sure how much these big *** mufflers are going to help with the sound considering the pipe is only about 6' long.
Space was limited and I think I may need a thermal barrier.
Going to have to get creative with the floor behind the seats.

WHY is every picture flipped into landscape??????

Attachments

• 20151025_172827.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 20151025_172850.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 20151025_172922.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 204
-
Back