my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
Great thread 318Will and thanks for all the effort on the videos. I am learning a lot and this is making me rethink that I may just keep my 318.

Scott

Exactly! The guys that think a 5.0 Mustang is all that but for some reason the 318 is a door stop never have made sense to me. They have plenty of potential!

Exactly! The guys that think a 5.0 Mustang is all that but for some reason the 318 is a door stop never have made sense to me. They have plenty of potential!

I've always been a HUGE fan of the 318. :burnout:

I'll probably just get one of those complete sets.....
I need EVERY seal....rear main, timing cover, valve guild seals , freeze plugs.....EVERYTHING.
I don't tolerate leaks! !!

Recommend any set? That's really complete?

Jeff

Mancini Racing also has good prices on teardown gasket kits:

http://www.manciniracing.com/enteargasset.html

And they also carry refresh kits in different levels that are very reasonable for those going for more refresh/rebuild:

http://www.manciniracing.com/enrebkit.html

Exactly! everyone comes up with issues of the smaller mill.
No other company seems to have these issues with there engines. In example valve shrouding and a small bore. While one can argue and be correct, is it really worth the cyber space to re hash such a small issue.

Many are ready, willing and able to go forth with what they have. A 318.
Not so able to dump the engine in favor of a larger engine and the price tag that goes with it or accoiate parts needed to make it work. And while the argurers would still be correct in the increased displacement bennifit, the cash and trouble involved just doesn't justify the switch.

..and not everybody has "magnumitis"
An economical to build,gas sipping 318 that has more than enough to power
to be fun is just fine!

..and not everybody has "magnumitis"
An economical to build,gas sipping 318 that has more than enough to power
to be fun is just fine!

"magnumitis".....LOL !!!

NOPE......LA ALL THE WAY. :burnout:

A couple of questions. ...
Is it OK to reuse my valve guide seals?
I want the same valve back in the same hole - right? (I numbered them all)

Jeff

Oh... HELL NO !!!!! New seals Brother... :)
I see your hard after this.... :):glasses7:

Oh... HELL NO !!!!! New seals Brother... :)
I see your hard after this.... :):glasses7:

Lol....hey Bob!
Mine looked good and no smoke, but after I saw how cheap they are (actually, included in the kit...), I'll definitely replace them!

The porting was a little scary at first, but I'm more confident about it now.
Next weekend I'll do the other head.

:burnout:

Hahahaha... I thought you would be sup-prized...lol
All looks good.... Take your time.... Watch the thin spots.....
Your in good hands on this site.... :)
Rock On Buddy
Call me if you need to.... :)

Super cool thread. I've been seeing super cheap small blocks that are rebuildable around to swap out the slant, but no way could I afford machining and all brand new parts. Not on my college-kid budget, lol! Maybe when I have some extra cash I'll finally take the plunge. Keep going, I'm gonna be looking for updates!

1st let me say this wouldn't have been my pick if I wasn't on such a tight budget. I will, at the end of this build, list what I would have done differently if I would have had an extra couple of hundred to play with.

Summit Cam kit K50052 - 109.97 to my front door fit my budget just fine :toothy1:

216 @ 50 ; .454 lift straight pattern

I would like to say why this cam was my pick, but this post would be quite long. I will state right now that I will not degree this cam when I install simply because it wouldn't go along with the rest of this build.

I will say that the Summit 6900 and 6901 cams would have done this build justice as well, but this one was more of what I wanted for this engine.

I will be happy to answer any questions as of why I choose this one in particular.

60.00 - intake
30.00 - porting heads and cleaning
58.00 - All gaskets (including more than this project will require)
48.00 - Eddy valve springs
110.00 - cam
5.00 - valve grinding compound

Total spent - 311.00

Left in the budget: 188.00

I ran the Crane version of that in a 318 back in 2000!! Back before they jacked the prices up on the energizer series cams.

With crappy 8:1 compression, stock heads with no valve job or port/bowl cleanup, summit headers, performer intake and a 650 SB DP Holley, and that cam, my 71 Dart would run 13.90's in St.Louis! That was on bald street tires with a factory converter and B&M transpak. Also had a 3:55 sure grip rear.

Would get decent mileage too...19mpg if I remember correct.

Has a decent lump to it.

None of my friends would ever race me in their Chevy or fords! Haha

If I were to guess why this cam;it's going to fit with the 340 springs,and would be fairly similar to a 340 cam.

1st let me say this wouldn't have been my pick if I wasn't on such a tight budget. I will, at the end of this build, list what I would have done differently if I would have had an extra couple of hundred to play with.

Summit Cam kit K50052 - 109.97 to my front door fit my budget just fine :toothy1:

216 @ 50 ; .454 lift straight pattern

I would like to say why this cam was my pick, but this post would be quite long. I will state right now that I will not degree this cam when I install simply because it wouldn't go along with the rest of this build.

I will say that the Summit 6900 and 6901 cams would have done this build justice as well, but this one was more of what I wanted for this engine.

I will be happy to answer any questions as of why I choose this one in particular.

I think that's the cam that Chuck's running in his Valiant. It's a nice cam and he can get good rubber with it...

Don't apologize until you try it out... I think you will like it...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=334068

[ame]https://youtu.be/h9PLkNA5gWw[/ame]

Here's some burnouts that he left keeping the fresh engine under 3000 RPM...

View attachment Chuck burnout 01.jpg

View attachment Chuck burnout 02.jpg

View attachment Chuck burnout 03.jpg

Everyone that listed in the above 5 post is correct. I did want to stay very close to the 340 cam. I think it is an 'ole Crane Fireball grind??? Also true that I have not run a summit cam before, perhaps I'll like it a lot.

Also, if you watched my head porting video, you know that I did very little on the intake side vs. the exhaust, thus the reason I want the same lift and duration on both, instead of LESS lift and duration on the intake. I believe this cam will give me the best bang for the buck with my heads and cubic inches.

Keep in mind I do NOT have headers, and I believe I have 2.76 gears and factory converter.

All I have left is the carb and timing chain, and 188.00 bucks to get 'em. :D

Pretty cool stuff,and the most interesting thing I've seen here in quite a while. Honestly big $$ cars bore me to death.Their out of reach of myself and most everyone. I like what your doing! It's easily done with a few simple,cheap tools and parts. I might be able to help a friend who is thinking of purchasing a mint 1975 more door with a teen. I told him"BUY IT!" ....

Pretty cool stuff,and the most interesting thing I've seen here in quite a while. Honestly big $$ cars bore me to death.Their out of reach of myself and most everyone. I like what your doing! It's easily done with a few simple,cheap tools and parts. I might be able to help a friend who is thinking of purchasing a mint 1975 more door with a teen. I told him"BUY IT!" ....

:) repost,
The fourth 'reincarnation' of 'Tinfish' :) From RRR's guide to Hot Rod Bliss thread...
________
Rob,
With Your Humble indulgence, I would like to add the below,

'tinfish' started out as an 'P' package '67 Barracuda cookie cutter car---

273, Carter 2 bbl, 904, 7.1/4 rear rag wheel, P/s, a/c ,drum brake Mustang/ Camero
Market share challenge design :violent1:

Ended up an 318 ,with late 340 heads (71-73 smog heads) mechanical lifter/ rocker valve train from an Commando Engine.
Tp-141 TRW cam, Ld 340 dual plane intake (mounting holes elongated for fitment) Carter
600 Comp series, Home wired Gold box ign to replace the dual point Mallory, 8 3/4 open axle
from an 'taxi B fury' (minor spring pad cut & relocate of course) Challenger T/A individual
tube cast iron 'headers'.
Windage Tray , Dual Remote oil filter set up , with bar and plate oil cooler from a CHP Polara,
Kelsey Hayes 4 Piston up front, Residual check valve (rear) removed from the Manual brake master cylinder, (read balanced braking on a budget lol).
And the best for last, an 'Small block' 727 with Truck Planetary gear sets :glasses7:

I am a cheap bastid !!!

318willrun
The above combo served Me Well for 67k miles,--- just oil/ fuel filter changes & the occasional R-12
Top Off, a water Pump, & one starter replacement.

Everyone that listed in the above 5 post is correct. I did want to stay very close to the 340 cam. I think it is an 'ole Crane Fireball grind??? Also true that I have not run a summit cam before, perhaps I'll like it a lot.

Also, if you watched my head porting video, you know that I did very little on the intake side vs. the exhaust, thus the reason I want the same lift and duration on both, instead of LESS lift and duration on the intake. I believe this cam will give me the best bang for the buck with my heads and cubic inches.

Keep in mind I do NOT have headers, and I believe I have 2.76 gears and factory converter.

All I have left is the carb and timing chain, and 188.00 bucks to get 'em. :D

I have a Holley 600 that will bolt on and go if you are interested.

what is cool to so many of us is making a silk purse out of a sows ear! ha its hotrodding. learning the details, how to take simple tools, and make power and fun on the CHEAP! and have fun!

I much rather be assocuiated with this type build and the people that congregate to such, than the mega dollar builds and restos. yes I love to look at that for instance,.....68 383 cuda that is perfect and I respect all that went into it, BUT just not the same as what this thread represents to me.

I have a Holley 600 that will bolt on and go if you are interested.

RRR, I bought a carb on Saturday from ebay. Yes, I would have been interested for sure, and thanks for putting out the offer.

I actually have everything now, and when the carb arrives, I'll post pictures of the rest..... and the best part.......
].............................I stayed under 499.00 :cheers:

-
Back