My new 71 Demon project

-

highspeeddirt

Reaction score
Well, Here is the project I picked up this past weekend. I finally get a day off work and it decides to drop the white stuff on us again. I'm glad the shop will be built soon. Its a factory H code 3 speed manual. Somebody took the 3 speed out and put a 727 in it, but thankfully left the hump and the pedals in it. The engine is a 340 but isn't numbers matching:-( I'm not worried about it with the smoking deal I got on it. Here the fender tag readout.

vx8 en1
m21 m43 n41 n42 r11 v6x
v1x u c55 g11 j45 j54
gf7 m6x9 5x8 302 290003
e55 d13 lm29h1bxxxxxx

Anyway, it has some rust issues in spots but overall not bad. the worst area that i'm concerned about is the upper firewall/cowl area. feels kinda thin. The rest is spots here and there, and the normal areas. Will need a drivers floor pan and the spare tire well. It'll be a little bit before I get started on it. Gotta get the shop up. But here are some shots till I can get more into it. Think I'm gonna start on the cluster restoration though. I can do that in the house. I've seen several threads of people doing their own cluster, but has anyone done a complete thread of their step by step restoration?

Attachments

• cluster1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 865
  • floor2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 868
  • floor1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 856
  • engine1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 867
  • demon3.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 882
  • demon2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 880
  • demon1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 857
  • dash1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 879
  • cluster2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 870
Looks like a very nice project! I am not up on my 71 paint codes, what is GF7?

I like the white, should be a very fun car. I had a couple of those 3 speed on the floor cars, both were 70 Cudas.

GF7 is a green. G8 is forest green and GF7 is a bit lighter with a bit of olive. I think.

Nice looking project, get it in the garage it looks cold.
I am already tired of the snow.

Cool project! Now get it out of the snow!!!

Nice looking project, get it in the garage it looks cold.
I am already tired of the snow.

Yeah I know guys, I hate it being out there. Starting the new shop next month, then she'll have 'er own little home and I can start the slow process of bringin' her back!

Nice starting point for a project! You must be a Megadeth fan too I see. :D

LOL I've got that many times! It actually came from when I used to race dirt track. But, I am a Megadeth fan too!:supz:

Well haven't started working on the car yet. Laying out the shop plans and such right now but, just for shlts and giggles, I thought I would see if I could at least get it to turn over.. It's been sitting for 10 years so my expectations weren't high. Anyway, right after i got the car I put a battery on it and of course, turn the key and nothing! I tried no further. Today I thought I'd trace wires and see if I was even getting power through the firewall, or just something out of wack since the PO pulled the dash out. Well, I'm a little rusty in my old age and been out of the hobby for awhile, but I'm thinking that its the ampmeter wires that I connected together and wa la! It turned over! Pour a little go juice in its throat and WOW! Didn't even turn over twice and fired up! Of course with the 10 year old stale gas in the tank and lines, I shut it right off and grabbed a gas jug. Put some new fuel line to the pump and carb, run it to the jug and H3LL YEAH! Man, this thing runs good! I don't know anything about the engine but was told the guy the PO got it from drag raced it. I believe it!! Last time I had something hit this hard, I was a teenager!
Ya'll have to excuse me for sounding corny with all this, but I'm like a kid at christmas now. I can't wait to get started working on it! I know it's gonna be a long road, but this is the kinda thing that gives me motivation!

I would recommend sending your gauges to redfish he will set you up with a demon IVR and rebuild the gauges for a very reasonable price. Mine work great after he did his magic.

Well, Here is the project I picked up this past weekend. I finally get a day off work and it decides to drop the white stuff on us again. I'm glad the shop will be built soon. Its a factory H code 3 speed manual. Somebody took the 3 speed out and put a 727 in it, but thankfully left the hump and the pedals in it. The engine is a 340 but isn't numbers matching:-( I'm not worried about it with the smoking deal I got on it. Here the fender tag readout.

vx8 en1
m21 m43 n41 n42 r11 v6x
v1x u c55 g11 j45 j54
gf7 m6x9 5x8 302 290003
e55 d13 lm29h1bxxxxxx

Anyway, it has some rust issues in spots but overall not bad. the worst area that i'm concerned about is the upper firewall/cowl area. feels kinda thin. The rest is spots here and there, and the normal areas. Will need a drivers floor pan and the spare tire well. It'll be a little bit before I get started on it. Gotta get the shop up. But here are some shots till I can get more into it. Think I'm gonna start on the cluster restoration though. I can do that in the house. I've seen several threads of people doing their own cluster, but has anyone done a complete thread of their step by step restoration?

Well, finally got the shop up and the ol girl out of the weather! Still have to run the electricity to it but can make it work till I do with an extension from the house. Planned on putting up some pictures of the shop progress, but been too busy to post. Anyway, here are some pics.
Also, got to get some done on tearing her down today.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0583.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 552
more

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 538
I suspect the drivers door has been changed since it's showing some red inside, but you can see some of the factory green on the inside of the passenger door

Attachments

• IMG_0606.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 540
Well, the 110 degree weather has broke, and just back from the Nats with a fresh dose of motivation. So now I'm ready to start some sheet metal work and tackle the worst part of it first. Swapping out the cowl. I'm hoping to get some advice on the best way to go about it. I've attached some pics to show what I'm up against. I was thinking about going at the spot welds along the seam in the firewall and the window channel. But not sure how to go about the ends and the a-pillars. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Attachments

• img2591d.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 507
  • img2587p.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 490
  • img2594oi.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 502
  • img2586u.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 464
  • img2588fj.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 474
And here is the replacement piece I got from a member here!

Attachments

• img2598vm.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 480
  • img2597i.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 492
  • img2596e.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 516
  • img2595x.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 486
Well I went ahead with what I was thinking to get the cowl off. Got the main section off minus the ends. I have a couple more questions I hope someone might help me with this time. I Know its lead on the bottom of the a pillars, and I know I need to torch it out, but what else do I need to know? Is there another seam with spot welds underneath? Also, on my replacement piece, i noticed a difference than mine. The inside seam by the windshield channel has a hole that mine does not. And the channel also has tabs. (circled in picture below) I don't know for sure if mine had those since it was rusted out, but can't find any sign of them. Can I still use this piece or is it year specific?

Attachments

• img2604w.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 443
  • img2602kl.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 452
  • img2601x.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 463
  • img2599h.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 428
  • question.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 417
Got the lead out of the passenger side. Drivers side had a previous repair and no lead and deeper rust. So I have a little patching to do. Here are some pics for the heck of it. Last one, my daughter had to bring her cars in to work on em too!

Attachments

• img0756ov.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 409
  • img0757vt.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 418
  • img0758i.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 422
Have a question. When I got my car it had a small seat between the buckets. I just figured someone added it. But now I've heard of te "buddy" seat option. Was wondering if anyone knows if this was actually an option available on 71 Demons, or if someone did add it from another car?

Thanks

Looking good so far. That tab with the hole you circled. You find tabs like that around the car in different spots. Think thats where the panels were held together when they were spot welded.

Thanks for the replies. Not sure if I'll put the buddy seat back in it yet. Although, I guess it would make a good arm rest!

Nice project! Love them Demons..you gonna paint it the factory green?

I don't think I'm going back with the green. If It was all the numbers matching I probably would. Not sure what color I'm going with yet. If work doesn't stop trying to kill me with 100+ hours a week, I won't get anything done on it. Much less color!

-
Back