My old school 340 upgrades and results.

-
FB_IMG_1466656009428.jpg

Had a little fun on Friday night. I live in a small town and they have a cruise night the first Friday of every month. Currently the only classic car I have that is put together is my Race car. I called the local police dept. and asked if it would be ok if I took it out. I explained that it has open headers and slicks with no license plates. They said ok took down my info that it is blue 1969 Dodge Dart and said go ahead.

20160805_202837.jpg

Awesome...... Nice to see some "old time" values from the PD.

THUMPS UP for the PD !!

here ..where I live... we will never ever bring a car like yours on the streets... sadly

Greetings from Germany
Juergen

The cruise night is promoted by the city. 90 percent of the United States it would not be permitted either. I live in a town of about 10000 people. It was kind of weird driving my car up and down the main drag like a normal car. The last time this car saw the street was during the Nixon administration.

Time for an update. Have upgraded a few minor items on the car and took it out to Bakersfield Raceway for Summit Series 1 and 2.
First change I have done is remove the mechanical fuel pump and installed a block off plate. Removed the factory 5/16 fuel line and installed aluminum 3/8 line along with AN fittings. A few months back I changed the slicks from 31×12 to 29x13. I also recently installed an Edelbrock performer rpm non air gap. Last time at the track with the factory intake manifold and 90 degree day car went a best 12.63. This time with cooler air mind you the car went 12.28 right off the trailer and ran consostant 12.30s all day.
Next morning things did not start out as smooth. Car sounded crisp and mean as I pulled into the burn out box. Did a hard burn out to start the day and as I pulled up to the lights the car died. Would not restart. I was pushed back out if the way and was told if I can get it started I can pull in at the end of the line for my class. Carb float was stuck down and fuel was flowing freely into the throttle bore. I tapped on the side of the carb and nothing helped. I told my wife to get the jeep to tow it back and when she left the carb stopped flowing fuel. I reached in hit the ignition switch and managed to start it. it was running rough but would rev up and the track official closed my hood and put my pins back in. I wad revving the motor while putting my helmet and belts back on. I did a short burn out and managed to stage the car. Launched hard cut a .006 light and ran a 12.18 at 109. Car never acted up the rest of the day.i went 2 rounds and list on a break out. First pass eliminations 12.28 on 12.25 dial. Next pass 12.32 on 12.30 dial. then lost with a 12.27 on a 12.33 dial in the heat of the day. broke out.

Glad to hear your got it running good again. What RPM'S can you shift at now?

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Have fun.
Thanks. It is running well now. I want to play with the jetting a bit and or I am thinking of reringing it and a valve job. 40 year old engine build is probably due. It runs well but I did notice a little bit of oil misting around the dipstick and breather. Also I am still running a pcv valve. Maybe changing over to crank case evac system. I noticed. Idle rpm picked up when pcv came out of valve cover. That tells me it is not liking the blow by and I don't generate a lot of vacuum anyway.

Thanks. It is running well now. I want to play with the jetting a bit and or I am thinking of reringing it and a valve job. 40 year old engine build is probably due. It runs well but I did notice a little bit of oil misting around the dipstick and breather. Also I am still running a pcv valve. Maybe changing over to crank case evac system. I noticed. Idle rpm picked up when pcv came out of valve cover. That tells me it is not liking the blow by and I don't generate a lot of vacuum anyway.

Use both. You generate way more vacuum at a cruise than you think.

The cruise night is promoted by the city. 90 percent of the United States it would not be permitted either. I live in a town of about 10000 people. It was kind of weird driving my car up and down the main drag like a normal car. The last time this car saw the street was during the Nixon administration.

Why not register the car, put a set of mufflers and street tires on it and drive it around a little more?

Why not register the car, put a set of mufflers and street tires on it and drive it around a little more?
i would like that and will probably do that but it will take quite a bit of work. Need wiring for lights, need guages, lots if other little things. I would do it though just because it seems there are more nights open for street legal cars than bracket cars at my local track.

-
Back