My take on the oiling system crossover tube for the small block

-
More progress in the oil mod saga.
Practice, family clip intermission, and final product in block I plan to use.

Trippin out that original block was already drilled.
Accurate Engine service is where I had the block bored .030 over but had no idea anything else was done.

Looks like you got off easy on the drilling. Cool.
Were the passages under the plugs in the back of the block also drilled out already?
How are you oiling the heads?
Nice video. Looks like things are going a little better with this block than the last one. Thank you for posting this.
Looks like your assistant is doing fine.

Looks like you got off easy on the drilling. Cool.
Were the passages under the plugs in the back of the block also drilled out already?
How are you oiling the heads?
Nice video. Looks like things are going a little better with this block than the last one. Thank you for posting this.
Looks like your assistant is doing fine.

Yes, all holes were opened up previously.
It’s a 76’ LA 360 block .030 over.
I’m using Sidewinder heads so they will have stock style oiling to roller rocker arms.

A vid showing the heads/port work.

Yes, all holes were opened up previously.
It’s a 76’ LA 360 block .030 over.
I’m using Sidewinder heads so they will have stock style oiling to roller rocker arms.

A vid showing the heads/port work.

Neat heads.

You did not say how. you are oiling the heads.
Are you oiling through the cam bearing on number 2 and number 4?
Or are you making them full time by drilling into the oil passages?

I think he is doing full time oiling since he showing a ton of work on how to do the cross over tube.

I think he is doing full time oiling since he showing a ton of work on how to do the cross over tube.

If he is restricting the oil at the cam bearings by drilling a hole and turning the bearing if he does that on number two and number 4 he is blocking oil supply to the cylinder heads. Therefore he would need a crossover tube to feed oil to the driver side head port or channel whatever you want to call it or drill through the channel into the main galley and then plug the outside hole to get oil up to the cylinder head. That is if he is blocking the oil passage down at the cam.
The crossover tube to feed the number one main bearing is not the same as the crossover to feed the heads.

Last edited:
If he is restricting the oil at the cam bearings by drilling a hole and turning the bearing if he does that on number two and number for his blocking oil supply to the cylinder heads. Therefore he would need to crossover tube to feed oil to the driver side head port 4-channel whatever you want to call it or drill through the channel into the main galley and then plug the outside hole to get oil up to the cylinder head. That is if he is blocking the oil passage down at the cam.
So ..... I'm wrong?

Her are my 1/2” pump/pickup tube mods done so far to the high volume low pressure oil pump.
On my setup the heads will be oiled through #2 and 4 cam journal holes as done by factory.
The crossover tube I installed will be feeding Pass. side tappet gallery and feed #1 main/rod.
Supposedly slowing down oil to allow more to get down to #3/4 mains/rods.

Her are my 1/2” pump/pickup tube mods done so far to the high volume low pressure oil pump.
On my setup the heads will be oiled through #2 and 4 cam journal holes as done by factory.
The crossover tube I installed will be feeding Pass. side tappet gallery and feed #1 main/rod.

I don't know what all thread you have seen on the pickups in the pump modifications. So here is a link to one that you might find interesting.

Small Block Oil Pick Up Tube Question

there are a couple others that I would add to this as I find them.

Found on page 3 of this thread.

Reworking the 273 Adjustable Rockers

For information.
The crossover tube that you install is feeding the driver side from the passenger side. Which in turn is feeding the number one main and the number one rod bearing. Along with the lifters on that side.

On the oil pump pressure you keep saying high volume low pressure.
The standard 72 pump and the high-volume 72 pump use the same bypass spring.

Last edited:
FWIW, for a data point on the chamfers leaking: My son's 340 was a virgin block, with the chamfers, and the lifter bores were unworn. (A couple were so tight that we had to get Crane to send us a few extra HFT lifters with OD on the small end of the range, so we could fit them in some of those tight lifter bores.)

Fired it up with the drill to pre-oil and check oil to the rockers (since I had added some rocker oiling holes), and did not see any real oil flowing/oozing out of the chamfered bores at all. So, from that, I wold suspect excess oiling there simply has to do with bore wear. (Test conditions: Oil was 1W30 at room temp, with a drill at 600 RPM, which corresponds to 1200 engine RPM. Pressure was a bit over 70 psi at the usual pressure sensor location.)
On a virgin block with extremely tight clearance you may not have a problem for a while, but this would not be typical of most builds.
That is why almost every sbm performance article directs the builder to restrict the oil to the lifters by one means or another.
But those lifter bores with the chamfer are so close to the giant oil feed hole that as the bore accumulates some normal wear, and with so little surface area I would think they would leak more than a block without those chamfers. IMHO

I measure lifter bores in a discussion about oil pressure is not a blank statement, it is common sense to me, and good engine building-measure as many clearances as you can-and if you can't-pay someone to
You said in a previous post that you completely cut the flow to the drivers side lifters. That is why you do not have a problem, not because of your lifter clearances.
You still have not told us how you change your cam bearing clearance.

What did you find on the burnt tips?
My guess is turned cam bearing and no oil fed to the driver side head.
Not exactly sure, but from the discussion I had with him he only had 30 psi oil pressure so the oil probably just was not getting there.
He said he was using those Mrl Bam lifters with no restriction of oil to the lifter bores.

Procharged

If your going to use the straight on oil filter adapter. Drill those four holes out to the next size bigger. Then put a hole in between each one of those holes so that you have a total of 8 holes. That of course will flow twice as much oil or better.

P3690715 shaft and gear will take care of twisting the end off of intermediate shaft. This for the iron flat tappet cams not any roller types.

dcc-3690715_ml.jpg

Mopar Performance Oil Pump Driveshaft and Distributor Gear Sets P3690715

Last edited:
Procharged

If your going to use the straight on oil filter adapter. Drill those four holes out to the next size bigger. Then put a hole in between each one of those holes so that you have a total of 8 holes. That of course will flow twice as much oil or better.
I cannot remember but has he blocked the front of the main galley to go with the crossover tube mod.?

Permatex makes a thread sealer specifically for hydraulic fittings.
Almost as strong as red loctite but not quite. It is fuel and oil resistant and requires not Teflon tape or anything. Tough to find it. I had to order a bottle.

On a virgin block with extremely tight clearance you may not have a problem for a while, but this would not be typical of most builds.
That is why almost every sbm performance article directs the builder to restrict the oil to the lifters by one means or another.
But those lifter bores with the chamfer are so close to the giant oil feed hole that as the bore accumulates some normal wear, and with so little surface area I would think they would leak more than a block without those chamfers. IMHO
Thanks agin for pointing this out.
After I get a ultrasonic thickness tester I'm going to check into getting the ream set up so that I can do my own bushings. The closest place that I could take it to be done that I know of from here is Indianapolis at Indy cylinder heads. I figure it would be cheaper to get my own equipment and do it myself.

After I get a ultrasonic thickness tester I'm going to check into getting the ream set up so that I can do my own bushings. The closest place that I could take it to be done that I know of from here is Indianapolis at Indy cylinder heads. I figure it would be cheaper to get my own equipment and do it myself.
Tubing the main galley is the easiest way for the diy and much cheaper. As I pointed out to another member, depending on what type of lifter a person is planning to use, you could just bush just the passenger side and block the flow to the other side. Just another option.

Ryan at shady dell did my bushings it required the removal of the cam bearings as the block is reference from the cam bores to establish centerline. Need some very specialized equipment to do it right.

I don't know what all thread you have seen on the pickups in the pump modifications. So here is a link to one that you might find interesting.

Small Block Oil Pick Up Tube Question

there are a couple others that I would add to this as I find them.

Found on page 3 of this thread.

Reworking the 273 Adjustable Rockers

For information.
The crossover tube that you install is feeding the driver side from the passenger side. Which in turn is feeding the number one main and the number one rod bearing. Along with the lifters on that side.

On the oil pump pressure you keep saying high volume low pressure.
The standard 72 pump and the high-volume 72 pump use the same bypass spring.

When insay that I mean I’m using a high volume pump with standard pressure spring.
I bought the high pressure spring but see no need to install it.

You said in a previous post that you completely cut the flow to the drivers side lifters. That is why you do not have a problem, not because of your lifter clearances.
You still have not told us how you change your cam bearing clearance.
I have solid lifters, and I do not have a problem because of good lifter clearances and plugging the flow to the driver side. I did not change cam to bearing clearance, just checked it

Procharged

P3690715 shaft and gear will take care of twisting the end off of intermediate shaft. This for the iron flat tappet cams not any roller types.

View attachment 1715253698

Mopar Performance Oil Pump Driveshaft and Distributor Gear Sets P3690715

On the previous block oil plate I drilled the 8 holes required and will drill this one too for future use.
I’ll look at fitment with the headers as I also have a 90 degree adapter I can use.

Maybe, maybe not. Fluid flow restrictors are made by using thin walled discs 90 degree to the flow direction. So the counter-theory is that the thin band on the lifter will act like such a flow restrictor. With fluid flow being what it is, and hard to guess, I would not bet on it being either way without testing. IMHO and all that...

-
Back