National Overdose Awareness Day.

-
I see mega prescriptions for opioids all the time. If I ever have to prescribe any narcotic, I run a prescription history on my patients. Some just got 90 hydros just last week and want Percocet "because nothing else works". They get no narcotics from me. When I do write them it is for sixteen pills and no refills. I think in the past year I have written narcotic prescriptions maybe 10 times. 9 of those were for big surgeries post operatively. Only one was for acute pain without treatment and that was a long standing patient that I know is safe to prescribe. Drugs are bad news. My personal belief is that the pushers need mandatory jail terms. That includes those with licenses to prescribe, if you know what I mean.

I see mega prescriptions for opioids all the time. If I ever have to prescribe any narcotic, I run a prescription history on my patients. Some just got 90 hydros just last week and want Percocet "because nothing else works". They get no narcotics from me. When I do write them it is for sixteen pills and no refills. I think in the past year I have written narcotic prescriptions maybe 10 times. 9 of those were for big surgeries post operatively. Only one was for acute pain without treatment and that was a long standing patient that I know is safe to prescribe. Drugs are bad news. My personal belief is that the pushers need mandatory jail terms. That includes those with licenses to prescribe, if you know what I mean.
Remind us again what you do for a living?

(Because if you're a school teacher, those are pretty bad numbers)

Remind us again what you do for a living?

(Because if you're a school teacher, those are pretty bad numbers)
Dentist. For 34 years already. I do many involved procedures. Many patients every day.

Dentist. For 34 years already. I do many involved procedures. Many patients every day.

Big difference between a dentist and a doctor who is dealing with chronic pain patients. I applaud your integrity and thoroughness.

The problem is most of the time the end users aren’t held accountable for their part in the addiction. At some point the user has to take responsibility.

One big issue is that the “system” has spent decades calling addiction a “disease”. Morons like Dr.Phil and that who part of the medical world love to call addiction a disease when it’s not. It’s a behavior.

If you classify addiction as a disease then there is no real personal responsibility for the addict, and of course you can never be cured because, well it’s a disease.

AA (and I suppose NA and all the other alphabet soup of different organizations that exist so the courts have somewhere to send these people in hope that something sticks even though the two big factors of personal responsibility and the acknowledgement that you don’t have a disease are working at cross purposes) have such a horrible record of recidivism that they should just be stopped.

I can say from personal experience that I’m sick of all the bellyaching about opioid use and abuse. I’m tired of being treated like a criminal when the addicts (who are breaking the law and thus…criminals) are coddled and catered to like royalty.

The last thing I want is the government or even a pharmacist controlling what my doctor and I agree is a proper course of treatment. It’s neither the government or the pharmacists problem to deal with.

Of course, because I have to make sure I’m understood I have no problem with a pharmacist making sure that there aren’t multiple doctors prescribing the same medications and all that. Outside of that, they need to fill what the doctor wrote and send it.

And as a last note, we now have pharmacies that make up their own rules regarding prescriptions and how/when they should be filled that are more restrictive than what the government says. That’s bullshit.

Big difference between a dentist and a doctor who is dealing with chronic pain patients. I applaud your integrity and thoroughness.

The problem is most of the time the end users aren’t held accountable for their part in the addiction. At some point the user has to take responsibility.

One big issue is that the “system” has spent decades calling addiction a “disease”. Morons like Dr.Phil and that who part of the medical world love to call addiction a disease when it’s not. It’s a behavior.

If you classify addiction as a disease then there is no real personal responsibility for the addict, and of course you can never be cured because, well it’s a disease.

AA (and I suppose NA and all the other alphabet soup of different organizations that exist so the courts have somewhere to send these people in hope that something sticks even though the two big factors of personal responsibility and the acknowledgement that you don’t have a disease are working at cross purposes) have such a horrible record of recidivism that they should just be stopped.

I can say from personal experience that I’m sick of all the bellyaching about opioid use and abuse. I’m tired of being treated like a criminal when the addicts (who are breaking the law and thus…criminals) are coddled and catered to like royalty.

The last thing I want is the government or even a pharmacist controlling what my doctor and I agree is a proper course of treatment. It’s neither the government or the pharmacists problem to deal with.

Of course, because I have to make sure I’m understood I have no problem with a pharmacist making sure that there aren’t multiple doctors prescribing the same medications and all that. Outside of that, they need to fill what the doctor wrote and send it.

And as a last note, we now have pharmacies that make up their own rules regarding prescriptions and how/when they should be filled that are more restrictive than what the government says. That’s bullshit.

I agree that nothing should get in between the dr/patient relationship. Especially pharmacies or government. Yet, we have long needed a way to curb multiple prescriptions for the same disease coming from different providers. And many paid for by government programs at no cost to the patient who then sells the drugs for profit. We also needed to eliminate the ability to call in prescriptions for narcotics by anyone in the office. (Which did get done). As to the addiction vs disease, I agree that personal responsibility is paramount to getting off the drugs. And, eliminating the supply chain is not going to fix that. Also, not getting them started could have prevented it in the first place. I can only control my part. The rest is up to the person.

BC just decriminalize hard drugs....Cocaine, Fentanyl, etc...you can have 2.5 grams and not be charged AND not be confiscated..:wtf::BangHead::realcrazy:
What is God's name is wrong with those people? 2.5 grams of pure Fentanyl is enough to kill about 100 people. Here they are passing laws that would make possession of any amount of Fentanyl a felony.

What is God's name is wrong with those people? 2.5 grams of pure Fentanyl is enough to kill about 100 people. Here they are passing laws that would make possession of any amount of Fentanyl a felony.
Felony? How about, if the proof is there "for intent to distribute" they get the same deal they give there customers....

-
Back