Need a 4bbl Intake for my 66 barracuda 273 2bbl

-

piperdrums

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase a 4bbl intake manifold for my 66 barracuda 273 with a 2bbl. I want upgrade to a 4bbl carburetor but want to get the right set up.

Thanks for your help.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a 4bbl intake manifold for my 66 barracuda 273 with a 2bbl. I want upgrade to a 4bbl carburetor but want to get the right set up.

Thanks for your help.

Any 273 or 318 4 barrel intake will work on your 66 273. I usually run a 500 cfm or 600 cfm AFB or Edelbrock copy. You will also need a 340 throttle cable mount and , if Automatic transmission, kick down linkage or kick down cable kit. Make sure your carb fully opens when the throttle is floored.

"Badlilred" Mike had an original manifold for sale here a couple weeks ago if you're interested in OE!

Is there a tread on the forum that show all the parts I'll need if I go with a Edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 4bbl Carb?

Thanks

The stock 273 4 bbl intakes are single plane.

A dual plane would run better on a street engine...

The stock 4bbl intake runs ok. No issues that I have. :burnout:MT

Youll do better with an Edelbrock Performer but thats not "original" single plane 273 4bbl. only reason they went with a single plane from the factory was to fit it under the hoodline, otherwise a dual plane would have worked better.

Youll do better with an Edelbrock Performer but thats not "original" single plane 273 4bbl. only reason they went with a single plane from the factory was to fit it under the hoodline, otherwise a dual plane would have worked better.
makes sense. I could not fit a original 340 duel plane under my hood on my 66. :burnout:MT

I don't think the 65 will easily fit due to the different bolt angle and IIRC bolt size.

Right!!! The 1965 LA 273 uses 5/16-18 threaded bolts into the heads & at a slightly different angle, where as the 1966 & up use the 3/8-16 bolts... BUT... if you should find a 65 4bbl intake cheap, And, if you are handy with drilling holes & things like that, it is fairly easy to open up the intake's 5/16 holes for the larger 3/8 bolt size and taking the slight angle change into account... I've done several of these for peeps and never has been a problem!!!

Clif:coffee2:

I definitely wouldn't hack a 64-65 4 bbl intake to fit a 66+ small block. Those are rare (I finally bought one on ebay), whereas 66+ are everywhere. Indeed, I went the other way, counter-sinking the holes of a 66+ to fit my 65 273 and used flat-head bolts (conical bottom), but hard to get them tight (small allen head hole) and had an initial steam fix at the front. If hood clearance is tight, you can get drop-base air cleaners or an after-market chrome hood that goes to a duct and look cool.

I ran a 71 340 intake and carb on my 273 in a 64 Barracuda. I ran the 71 air cleaner and fit fine.
I was using the 273 chrome commando/ charger filter housing. Fit but it was touching the hood. A holley would have fit, but AFB is taller. Had to use a adaptor to use the afb on this manifold, was made for a wider base carb. :burnout:MT

-
Back