Need a socket or wrench for a 8-3/4 plug

-

70DusterBob

Reaction score
Just got an 8-3/4 installed. I need to change the fluid and there is a female plug, looks about to be 5/8" square. Anyone know where to get either a 1/2 drive socket or a special wrench to fit it?

Thanks

If a 1/2" ratchet is too loose, you can put some shim stock in the socket hole.

See if any local uh, "hardware" stores still carry square keystock

I have checked NAPA, O'Reilies, Granger, I checked Amazon, I guess I could check eBay, about the only place I haven't looked.

I have checked NAPA, O'Reilies, Granger, I checked Amazon, I guess I could check eBay, about the only place I haven't looked.

Main Problem is I don't know what to call it. Is it a 1/2" Drive 4 Point 5/8" Socket, Adapter, what?

Just got an 8-3/4 installed. I need to change the fluid and there is a female plug, looks about to be 5/8" square. Anyone know where to get either a 1/2 drive socket or a special wrench to fit it?

Thanks
Measure it to be sure what size it is. If it is 5/8 square then get a short piece of 5/8 bar stock and use a big wrench. I doubt that it is actually 5/8 square which is why you need to measure it to be sure. Typically a 1/2 inch drive fits in there.

Measure it to be sure what size it is. If it is 5/8 square then get a short piece of 5/8 bar stock and use a big wrench. I doubt that it is actually 5/8 square which is why you need to measure it to be sure. Typically a 1/2 inch drive fits in there.

I understand, that is why I was so suprized it is very close to 5/8. I tried a 3/4 and it was too big, 1/2 goes swimming in it. My best guess is 5/8. I found a 17mm square wrench on eBay, I'm thinkin' that is too big. It is 0.67" I know it's close, but if it's too big it won't work. 5/8" is 0.625, I don't know if the 0.045 would keep it from fitting. Seems like it would work.

Don't bother w/ Fee-Bay! UsPs is a month behind right now.
if you make something work you'll be driving it for a month while you wait for that socket... jus' sayin'

Just checked, and your right, ships via usps. Holy Crap!!!! I will try to figure something out. I have lots of steel around here, maybe upsize the 1/2" a bit with that.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Find a bolt with a 5/8 head on it. Insert it backwards. Then just double nut the threaded side and walk it out.

A piece of 1/8” thick angle iron welded on to an old extension, good to go!

Wow! Never thought this thread would require so many posts . Lol

Crescent Wrench

Edit .... oh its female !
This is why you dont let women work on your car . She will put lady parts on it !

70DusterBob,
Im a bit confused.
Does your plug have a recessed square? If so you need to insert this:
Screenshot_20201220-080643_Gallery.jpg

You're referring to what you need as a SOCKET.
Or is it like these pics?
20201220_080044.jpg

20201220_075947.jpg

If its like these pics, I've always had success using an adjustable crescent wrench, like mentioned above.
Worst case scenario, use a smaller plumbers pipe wrench, but that will gouge the square head.
You can always replace with a replacement standard pipe plug.
Screenshot_20201220-080754_Chrome.jpg

Joe

Main Problem is I don't know what to call it. Is it a 1/2" Drive 4 Point 5/8" Socket, Adapter, what?
Got any tool trucks cruising around town? MAC, Snappy, Cornwell, Matco should all have a male square drive on their truck. A adapter will twist off. It has a hole for the spring and detent ball in the end.

square drive.jpg

22 posts to remove a plug. I'm impressed. Bet we can drag this out to 37 posts. :)

-
Back