Need Advice.. Save her or part her?

-

boosted

Life Needs Air
Reaction score
I really like this body style.. but I am torn if I should save it or just part it out.

1966 Barracuda 273 2v auto.

As you can tell from the pics it needs some work .. Milage is believed to be correct. Car was placed under a barn lean to over 30 years ago.. This car is complete and 100% stock.. No mods at all except I just put the ralley wheels on it. I do have all 4 original hubcaps.. I paid 2200 for it,,, I probably overpaid but hey I like the look of these cars. Anyways here are some pics. So what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20151024_111924927.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_20151024_111910822_HDR.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_20151024_111736390_HDR.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_20151024_111832626_HDR.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_20151107_133039366.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_20151107_133130905.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20151107_145749721_HDR.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_20151107_145808987_HDR.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_20151107_150226972.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20151107_143802169.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 438
It would be a shame to part out something with that much rust free metal (at least what I could tell from the pics)

Do a massive cleaning in&out and then do a complete check up of all mechanics and then post the results.You will most likely keep it and bring it back to her first days,mrmopartech

If you like that particular car, year, etc., I believe that you would be money ahead to buy one that's already finished. -- It looks like a lot of effort and $$$ will be needed to restore it. -- Just my 2 cents.

You are looking at a full interior and exterior by the pics. If the engine is stuck also you will be way over your head by saving it. If you plan on keeping it a long time save it if not part it.

Do a ratty/unrestored project out of it! Throw a different motor in it and get it running, do a complete clean out and drive it like it is!! It's cool,'I like it, and yea I'm little biased!!!

I say save!!!

It's not always about the money. This is a hobby (for most of us) and saving one of these cars gives such a sense of accomplishment. It's true, you can buy one finished much cheaper than you can build it. If you want something that someone else built, you might as well go down to the Dodge store and buy you a Hellcat.
Once it is parted and sold as pieces, the car is lost forever. Just my thought.

if parting...give me a yell. I just started tearing down one that is 80% there and stock 273 4 sp. Have all parts but some of the chrome is in need of refinishing.

No question Save It! It would be a shame to part it out. Then if you do part it out then yrs. from now you will probably regret it.

Pressure wash the crap out of it and try to start it to see what you have, to me it looks great!

It's not always about the money. This is a hobby (for most of us) and saving one of these cars gives such a sense of accomplishment. It's true, you can buy one finished much cheaper than you can build it. If you want something that someone else built, you might as well go down to the Dodge store and buy you a Hellcat.
Once it is parted and sold as pieces, the car is lost forever. Just my thought.

THIS! ^ :prayer:

Worse have been saved, but I'm not really understanding the question as you've already started on it, polishing the vin tag and all! Just sayin' lol

I think you answered your question already,,,,,you love that style of car, Keep it...like said clean er up check it over and go from there. Ive had mine for 6 years and almost done. Hasnt been on the road yet. Its a passion for these cars. Nothin wrong with time and work. Ive learned that here and sometimes the hard way...SAVE IT JM2C :burnout:

How did the frame and floor look when it was up on the trailer?

It doesn't look all that bad from here. Just make a fun driver out of it, leave all of it's cosmetic flaws (except maybe interior) and have a blast.

I think I am going to try and bring it back to life. I have a nasty 360 I can put into it. It needs drivers side front and back pans.. Lower 1/4 rust on both sides. Car only has 24k original miles. The spare is still a polyglass. I am thinking do the floors, motor and trans and get it driving.. Then worry with the interior and other cosmetic things. I need to get a drivers side door and glass. Bad dent in drivers door and no window is what caused the pan issue.. Passenger side and frame rails are great.

So what other cars can I get a door and glass from for it?

As far as buying one done.. I just can't do that.. I would change it anyways..

I think I am going to try and bring it back to life. I have a nasty 360 I can put into it. It needs drivers side front and back pans.. Lower 1/4 rust on both sides. Car only has 24k original miles. The spare is still a polyglass. I am thinking do the floors, motor and trans and get it driving.. Then worry with the interior and other cosmetic things. I need to get a drivers side door and glass. Bad dent in drivers door and no window is what caused the pan issue.. Passenger side and frame rails are great.

So what other cars can I get a door and glass from for it?

As far as buying one done.. I just can't do that.. I would change it anyways..

The hardtop Dart, Valiant and Barracuda doors will swap.

Good call to save it.
I do have a hard time believing that it has only 24,000 miles on it though, more like 124,000.
It doesn't matter at this point though.......

If you plan to keep it for a long time I say save...if you want to flip it after a couple years...I say see if you can get it running driving without a lot of work....if you don't have to put too much into it...save

Car is a two owner car.. Belonged to the Gentleman's mother. She had parked it behind someone and the door was hit and then she backed into a pole and dented the trunk and bumper. They took the car away from her and parked it. It was never cranked again and it is froze up.

The reason it is a two owner is his mother passed away amd he inherited it. So the car was in his family since new. He said they parked it in the barn in the early 80's. Between 4 kids they spent most of their time in a station wagon and the car was only taken out when his parents would go out at night. So it is one of those things that you can beleive it or not.. Just so original it is harn not to. I found oil change receipts from the 70's with the milage in the teens...

-
Back