Need advice - sell or part out?

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Hey gang...I need some input... I have a '75 Valiant 4dr plain-jane type car that was my Mom's until she passed away last year. The car has 90,000 miles on it and it runs and drives like a dream. The body is very good considering it is 30+ years old (always garage kept).Here's my question...Should I sell it whole (for probably next-to-nothing),or,part it out,keeping the front disk setup and some other stuff for my '65 Valiant 'vert project?

Any input is appreciated. I need to make up my mind what to do with this thing.

Thank all!!

Sorry about your mom first off.I would restor the car and keep it in the family,but if you intend to sell,parting it out is the best way to get the most out of the car.Now is the car toast or can it be fixed,Mrmopartech

your description of the car would lead to the
conclusion that it is a well cared for car, in
very good condition, with a lot of service left
in it. if you have family or friends in need, maybe
a college student thats deserving i'd probably give
it to them. maybe one of your mothers friends.
if you don't need it and no one can use it
part it out.

Thanks to all for the input.

Mrmopartech...Thank you for the sentiment.No,the car is definitely not toast.It is in really good shape. The body has a few small dent issues(as you would expect for a 30 year old car),still has alot of its original paint.Like I say,drives very well and was always maintained(sometimes over-maintained,if thats possible).

longarm...yes it has lots of life left,just isnt worth a lot on the open market,I dont think. I dont really need it(have enough stuff on my plate now),and my kids don't think its "cool" enough for them...LOL.

Jim...many a mile left in the car as far as serviceability goes, but like I said above,I dont really need another car.

I'll keep watching the thread and maybe it'll trigger a brainstorm or something.

Once again,thanks to all for the advice.

Last month I saw a " '75 Valiant 4dr plain-jane type car " whole in like shape (probably would not run 'cause it looked like it had been sitting) AT THE SCRAP METAL PLACE ! ! ! :axe: I almost cried. I think I would consider the REAL value of the car to someone who really needs it for transportation and such and price it that way. It's like this: I used to collect and restore anique outboard motors for boats mostly 10hp and under. I bought and sold whole motors and parts on ebay. For an old running motor that sells for $50-100 on ebay to a collector, there is a fisherman EASILY willing to pay $250 for the same motor to use 'cause he can't or won't pay the $750 - $1250 for a new one. A collector prices on scarcity and desireness. A boater on usefulness. I guess I am trying to say that you might easily get $2000 by selling it from your house to someone looking for transportation. I would hate to see something driveable be donored out. Good luck and God Bless :)

khughesprime said:
SCRAP METAL PLACE ! ! ! :axe: I almost cried.
I would hate to see something driveable be donored out. Good luck and God Bless :)

I agree,

Personally, I wouldn't be able to part my mothers car, if it was that nice of shape. The brake swap would save you some $$ on yours, but after that, just how desireable are those parts?? I think it's value is going to be just as good to keep it whole, and know that it is still being enjoyed and driven. I didn't see, is it a /6? If so, the $2,000 figure is likely on the Way high side.

This might be a long-shot. But it would be nice to find someone into Mopars who has a "well-used" A-body that might consider their car and cash for yours! Then you might still be able to get some of the parts you need.

-
Back