need axle ratio and tire size chart

-

jnkgal

Reaction score
what is a good one. trying to decide which tire is best after just changing gear ratio.
we put a 4.56 gear in we have 245-60-14 that spins, we were going to try 255 and 275 60-15.
thanks in advance

Google mph gear calculator, Al Gore's www is infested with 'm

It's not quite that easy. Tire selection is influenced by the intended use of the car as well as what is available. Suggest looking at wheel/tire combinations fitted at the factory first. Convert to metric sizes. The rims that are on the car will dictate what can be fitted on them. If you're not satisfied, look for wheels and tires that are more in line with your tastes and will fit on the car. The wheels on 72 and earlier disk brake cars and all drum brake A-bodies used a 4-inch bolt circle. 73 and later disk brake A-bodies used a 4½-inch bolt circle. This was used by most other Mopars, FoMoCo, and AMC vehicles. There are a lot more wheel options for the 4½-inch bolt pattern cars.

I have an Excel spreadsheet where you input tire section width, aspect ratio, and wheel diameter. You also input the rear end ratio. It will give you revs per mile as well as rpm @ 60 & 70 mph. I played with the variables til I came up with a combination I could live with (235/60-15, 3.55:1)

What the spreadsheet won't do is tell you if it will fit your application. The wheel/tire combination might rub the inside of the fender or rub on the rear springs. It also assumes zero tire deflection (load), and does not account for slippage in the driveline.

If you're interested, PM me with an e-mail address where I can send the spreadsheet.

As far as the rear gear goes, figure out what you have. Usually, there is a tag on one of the bolts in the differential housing that has the ratio stamped into it. There are lots of options for getting the gear ratio you want/need.

she was looking for Starting Line Ratio
2.45(trans) X 4.56 gear

We took the "A" body rear out (245/60 -14) 7" wide wheel, 3.91 gear
Put a "B" body rear in (4.56 spool)
So, that we can run 15"x 8" wheels
ended up with a 255/60 - 15

The 275/60-15 put us at the same ratio as the "A" body set up, just more tire, on the ground
It looked good on there, filling up the wheel well

she was looking for Starting Line Ratio
2.45(trans) X 4.56 gear

We took the "A" body rear out (245/60 -14) 7" wide wheel, 3.91 gear
Put a "B" body rear in (4.56 spool)
So, that we can run 15"x 8" wheels
ended up with a 255/60 - 15

The 275/60-15 put us at the same ratio as the "A" body set up, just more tire, on the ground
It looked good on there, filling up the wheel well
very nice looking you two.

275 x 60 takes some of the sleeper look away...hope the 4.56 spool helps at the track
We just have fun with it, running the "Street" class

it is tagged, mufflers but we don't drive it on the street

looks better than when we started on it

-
Back