NEED HELP!!! 9-Second Engine Setup?

-
Cheap, light and easy to come by. Plus there are oodles of aftermarket support products for them. Just my guess.

You got it Buddy!!!

DSC_3666wtmk.jpg

Then my advice is done worry about a class. Build the car and then stick a mild big block in it, figure out how fast it can go repeatably, and go racing. Engine build should be dead last. SG is for purpose built midsize budget cars.

if you really plan on building this car to go 9's, it makes much more sense to go big block..not saying a small block cant do it, but a big block will get you there for a little cheaper with less stress on the motor and lots torque...if it was me id go low deck B block stroker and some nitrous (but guitar jones said super gas doesnt allow it)...you get the best of both worlds that way- cheap motor, and if you tune the nitrous right (id say a 300 shot on a plate would be enough, or a fogger if you really want future growth) some nice reliable horsepower to run the number...

ill tell ya though, im in your position as well...i only have about 10k into my car and ill be lucky if it sees high 12's...at this age, the only way you are going to get into the 9's is if mommy and daddy pay or if you find a cheap good deal on a fox body mustang or G-body GM already done...this is mopar were talking here

and then you have to worry about chassis, converter, safety, etc.....it all adds up ALOT faster than you can imagine..

do me a favor though, if it actually comes true for you, please post it up on here with details so we can all see how you did it, because i know im not the only one interested

good luck!!!

Its a 66 Valiant so its light already but I'm cutting alot of it out and replacing it with aluminum so it should right around 2000 or less all said and done

That is light, it shouldnt take too much to get it into the 9s with that weight, is that with or without motor instslled? im assuming thats without a motor, a w2 340 roller cam motor or a indy headed 440 roller cam motor should be doable, which one is in your possesion to go with?

Anyone notice the big MPH that Super Gas cars run? Also how they are on the throttle stop for a LONG time and still run a 9.90? Do you think they do this with a 9 second motor? Try 8's. So if you think you are going to build for 9's and be competitive you are in for a real shock.

I know they can run 8s I've just set some goals that I know some could be achieved and some can't. Shoot high

Find a copy of both the Mopar Performance / Direct Connection performance manuals . It`s spelled out word for word , part for part , what is required to go 9`s in an A-Body .

parts 1108 073.1.jpg

indexewtre.jpg

Slugger, I try to set goals I can accomplish. Otherwise they are called dreams...lol. A SG car has to be capable of running at least a full second faster than it's dial due to what was mentioned: the electronics. Most of those cars, at least the ones that win, are repeatable in any weather, at any track, within a couple hundreths of a second. They have to be, adn the way they do that is not to run flat out the whole run, but to be able to run MUCH faster, and then slow the car for a precise time with the electronics. It's also harder to judge speed for the opposing driver when you're coming up from behind so it forces errors.

Build the car for super street 10.90. Shoot for 9.70's. It would be more realistic and competive in S/St based on budget. You can always step up later.

I recently started my first project, a 66 Valiant post car. Its going to be a drag car, hopefully running S/G. I need some input on getting that 9-second engine setup. Anybody who can help, please let me know what general setup options I got. I've heard some say 440, some say stick with sb. Ideas!!!

Unfortunately in S/G, to be "COMPETITIVE" you need to be able to run a 9 flat or faster and be able to drive the stripe. not just run a 9.90! That class and ALL of the throttle stop classes are FILLED with some of the best drivers you've ever seen!

i know a few guys with 9 sec A / E bodies. I watched one go 8.87 .
This is a E cuda at around 2800 lbs, 508 ci , 12.5:1 , 620 roller , this was on alcohol. no power adders . Eddy Victor Heads . 440 source crank .
I will try to find a picture..

You can go 9's = how much $$$$ ya got ? 8)

Well now that I have to finance a new truck not that much but I plan on having to stretch out the building process over a few years so it'll be a constand amount each year

-
Back