Need Help : Drive shaft length

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
I posted some time ago regarding a driveshaft problem. Well i got it cut.......to short..Please dont ask. I now know of someone who has alot of driveshafts. All i need to know is the length of a 318/904trans to a 8 1/4 rear end. Its in a 67 Dart 2door H/T I can get a driveshaft for $50. Id rather get the right one instead of cutting another. Please dont jump on me..........i just want a length. I have searched and found lots of info but not a 318 / 904 / 81/4 combo in a Dart just 71/4 or 83/4

Your going to measure that was not the right rear for the year witch you know Ed,or maybe someone here has done the same swap.

I think I still have that driveshaft in my shed. Came out of my 73 Dart Sport, 318 / 904 / 8 1/4. I can measure it or sell it to you cheap. I'll slog through the snow and check this afternoon. When I had mine made, I was told to measure while the vehicle was on the ground, flange to flange.

Thanks everyone...I just dont want to go through this crap again. It wasnt my mistake and it cost me zip.........But i have a driveshaft thats no good. **** happens and it was a good friend that still feels bad.I have no hard feelings, i aint like that. Will check that chart.

Thanks everyone...I just dont want to go through this crap again. It wasnt my mistake and it cost me zip.........But i have a driveshaft thats no good. **** happens and it was a good friend that still feels bad.I have no hard feelings, i aint like that. Will check that chart.

And you're kinda gonna do the same thing again

Just measure yours and see your local driveline shop.

Take your slip yoke and bottom it out in the trans at ride height, measure from center of joint to center of joint, bring the slip with you to them and tell them you measured it bottomed out and be done.

And you're kinda gonna do the same thing again

Just measure yours and see your local driveline shop.

Take your slip yoke and bottom it out in the trans at ride height, measure from center of joint to center of joint, bring the slip with you to them and tell them you measured it bottomed out and be done.
Thank you......It will be awhile for me to do that with my back out but i will when im better.

If I recall correctly when my buddy put an 8 1/4 in his '67 dart it was 53" center to center on the u joints.

If the chart is correct then your ideal driveshaft shold be 1.6" shorter than the original one was if your 8 1/4 is out of an A body. 11.69" - 10.09" = 1.6"

Attachments

• rearaxledims.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,665
Thanks Kernel.......Still not possitive. Looks like another cut drive shaft.

Has your original drive shaft been cut? If not what is the weld to weld measurement on the tube and I will check the salvage circut to see what might be out there. These measurements are confusing because most people measure center to center of the u joints but that isn't the way the salvage yards are set up to do it with the Hollander Interchange system.

Has your original drive shaft been cut? If not what is the weld to weld measurement on the tube and I will check the salvage circut to see what might be out there. These measurements are confusing because most people measure center to center of the u joints but that isn't the way the salvage yards are set up to do it with the Hollander Interchange system.
I appreciate this but unfortunately i scraped it with the old 75 swinger i had.....didnt want it lying around looking at it. It must be a odd combo..318/904/81/4 because i cant find anything other than Dart sport with that combo. I believe Dart sport is a longer wheel base..Correct?

I appreciate this but unfortunately i scraped it with the old 75 swinger i had.....didnt want it lying around looking at it. It must be a odd combo..318/904/81/4 because i cant find anything other than Dart sport with that combo. I believe Dart sport is a longer wheel base..Correct?

On that one I have no idea.

Put the trans yoke in trans; pull out 1" . measure from center of u-joint to the flat part of the rear yoke( center of the rear u-joint). If on stands, jack rear end up until it wants to come off the stands=ride height.

Youll be right on when you go to a Dana...but really, you just need to get under there with a tape and measure. Get your car rear to ride height, Bury your loose flange into the trans and measure from the front rim of the U joint socket to the rear rim of the diff yoke. Take these measurements and the yoke in to the driveshaft place and tell him exactly how you measured. He should take into consideration the diameter of the U joint caps and make you a shaft that sticks out about 1" from the trans seal, that'll give you rebound room. If you use the various charts (I uploaded one somewhere in here) I still wouldnt get one cut from those measurements as they may have not measured the same way as the cutter is going to measure. Sort of like buying pushrods.....

-
Back