Need help NON mopar 1967 Pontiac Lemans 326

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
CE05657E-9E9F-4C36-B6AC-909663B719C0.jpeg
280455CA-5C49-439A-992F-F82C5CFC35A8.jpeg
No power, backfires out the carb under wide open throttle. If you ease into the throttle it doesn't backfire. Take it for a drive and it takes all day to get up to highway speed.

Ran fine with stock intake and 2 bbl carb, stock distributor.
Installed edlebrock 4 bbl intake, edelbrock carb, HEI distributor and it runs like crap.

double checked timing mark with the piston at tdc. best timing is at 12. the vacuum can almost touches the firewall. Tried moving the plug wires over one and the vacuum can hits the heater hose with it way too advance. Not familiar with how to fix it. (not like a mopar where you can just move the gear over a tooth)
sprayed carb clean all around intake no leaks.
capped off brake booster and pcv with no change.
checked the voltage to the coil.
swapped out ede carb for a known to be good working holley (same results)

Any other ideas?

E1C92ABB-38D2-451B-9A22-C75479AF0A5D.jpeg

9D5F9E16-2104-4218-A140-DEE032F2500E.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a thought, I believe GM used a resistor wire to drop dist voltage down. HEI would need full battery voltage to operate properly.

Are you positive that you didn't mix up the plug wires when you swapped distributors. Did you double check??

Treblig

Just a thought, I believe GM used a resistor wire to drop dist voltage down. HEI would need full battery voltage to operate properly.

Tried running it wired directly to the battery with no change. Also found out that you can’t shut the car off by just unhooking the battery this way.

Have you had the engine running in a dark room to see if there are any sparks jumping anywhere. Sometimes you can here the spark jump and sometimes you can only see the spark in the dark. Can you put the old distributor back in to eliminate that as an issue then you can concentrate on the carb and intake.

Treblig

I will give the dark room a try. I would love to use the old distributor but I wrecked it. Don’t recall what I was trying to do but it is now junk. Hanging my head in shame. I’m currently looking for a cheap test distributor to rule that out.

Vacuum source =manifold vacuum.
Yes,you should be able to move distributor one tooth. But only clockwise. So you have to go all the way around. Hard to explain,turn while lifting and drop into next tooth. Repeat until its where you want it. It will slip past the gear and still barely grab the water pump. Done it 100’s of times.

can try manifold vacuum but why would it matter. It idles great. Once WOT there shouldn’t be any manifold vacuum.

Another problem I have had with a Chevy under the same type of trouble was the carbon tip sticking out of the cap. Make sure you did not break or damage it because it will need spark to jump down to the rotor then.

Basics.........

Bad plug wire or broken / bad plug. "It happens."

Move the dist. a tooth. Of course you can. Pick it up, turn it, drop it in. On Chev, it won't always go back down because of interferance with the oil pump drive, just bump the starter and it will go in

Check your timing marks with a piston stop.

Make sure there are no manifold leaks. Spray around the carb base/ intake with water, examine and check all vacuum hoses and fittings

You can easily check the metering rods for "freedom" as a starter. Go to the Ed site and download the manual for that carb.

Don't negate low ignition voltage........Someone suggested hot wiring to battery YES. I believe the HEI was built to run on direct 12V not through a resistor.

New plugs and wires.
Leaning towards ignition issue due to the holley acting the same.

Lol. Water pump...you know i meant oil pump, right?

I remember my buddy’s impala doing the same thing,his battery was a POS....

-
Back