Need help with SBP Kelsey-Hayes rotors

-

TimsGT

Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Please can someone tell me why the caliper piston dust boots are rubbing on the hub part of the rotor? I bought new Bendix rotors, used the factory caliper to spindle mount bolts and dont know why the caliper is so close to the rotor. Do I need to buy the expensive restoration rotors from Jims auto parts? Bought brake assemblies off car. Any help would be very appreciated as this is the only issue from finishing the front end rebuild on my Dart.

All the rotors I have, have a taper from disc to hub. What brand discs do you have?
I bought Bendix part#PRT1054 from Rockauto and are tapered also. Then I ordered Centric part#12763005 and they measure the same.

Does the rub go around the entire rotor or just a section of it?

Does the rub go around the entire rotor or just a section of it?
Yes. It rubs the same on both rotors. This is the first set of these K-H brakes I have bought. So Im not real familiar with them. It came with new bearings, rebuilt calipers, new lower ball joints and needing only new rotors.
Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Yes. It rubs the same on both rotors. This is the first set of these K-H brakes I have bought. So Im not real familiar with them. It came with new bearings, rebuilt calipers, new lower ball joints and needing only new rotors.
Thanks everyone for the help!!!
It rubs around the whole entire surface of both rotors, evenly

I had the same problem with mine. I actually took the rotors to a machine shop and asked them to cut a groove into the part where it rubs. He told me he would not do that because of possibly weakening them.

It's been a long time...but if I remember correctly, I pulled the calipers and massaged the boots and pulled it the opposite direction of the rotor and eventually got the clearance so it didn't rub.

double posted.

If it rubs completely around then it seems the mounting of the calipers is not correct. You do have the calipers oriented so the bleed screws are up top yes?

Last edited:
Did you let the air out of the bellows?
Waitaminit. Is there a portion of the piston, not covered by the pad? It kinof looks like it. That would not be right.
It's really hard to tell, but that geometry looks off to me.

Last edited:
I got some pix of mine, I got about 3mm of clearance on brand new pads. Rotor is a little rusty but that would only make it worse in my case. No signs of contact on my rotors, or on dead spider.
IMG_0605.JPG
IMG_0608.JPG

Did you let the air out of the bellows?
Waitaminit. Is there a portion of the piston, not covered by the pad? It kinof looks like it. That would not be right.
It's really hard to tell, but that geometry looks off to me.
Wow thanks guys for the responses!!
1969reddart: yes I did the same and talked to a machinest and they told me they would not machine a grove in the hub for fear of weakening the rotor also I will try and work the rubber boot as you suggested.
1969383s: yes the bleeder screws are on top.
AJ/forms: bleed the bellows? Not sure what you mean, please explain. Also, the pad does indeed cover the full circumference on the piston.
Thanks again everyone!

It looks like your calipers are mounted low, or the OD of the rotor is larger than mine. Mine are 67 pulls.

Great pics PISHTA. Now thats what mine should look like. What brand of rotor are you running?
Im no expert but by the pics pishta sent I think my problem is in the OD of the rotors. Seems like pishta's rotors are not tapered like my aftermarket rotor.

Oh oh, I just bought those same bendix rotors for a KH conversion I will be doing. Will be watching this thread and hoping you get it worked out! Where did you buy your caliper rebuild kit or did you purchase remanufactured calipers?

Im no expert but by the pics pishta sent I think my problem is in the OD of the rotors. Seems like pishta's rotors are not tapered like my aftermarket rotor.
I'm thinking these newer rotors are machined differently than the originals.
I'm thinking these newer rotors are machined differently than the originals.
Defintely Im thinking the same about the machining too. I want to try the reproduction restoration rotors from Jims Auto Parts but didnt want to pay the $130 a piece for em.
Cuda68scott: yep be aware of the cheap aftermarket rotors! The calipers are unknown if they were rebuilt or remanufactured. Im leaning towards remanufactured. I will let everyone know if I end up getting the rotors from Jims Auto Parts and how they fit.

One member who posted a KH conversion thread used Wagner BD60257 rotors and apparently had good results.

I just purchased a KH setup from a member here and should be getting them in Friday. So I was looking around for rotors and saw the Bendix on Summit for $21, and thought that was a pretty decent deal. I have never had fitment issues with aftermarket rotors/drums on other vehicles so did not even think about that being a worry! Probably be several weeks before I get to installing the setup, and I plan on rebuilding my own calipers. Not sure if I will return the rotors to Summit, will be watching your thread closely!

After thinking about this problem a bit more last night and looking at the pics on this thread it seems like the issue could only be the following things:

Rotors: Manufacturing tolerances off (Chinese quality control!)
Calipers: Maybe some variances in caliper castings from KH's? Not sure if this is likely, but it seems like other mopar castings seems to have a few differences. Also did aftermarket brake manufacturers every produce copies of these KH calipers for the market? Maybe worthy discussion in a new thread.
Caliper Bolts: I suppose using non original bolts could possibly put the caliper slightly off alignment when attaching to the spindle. I know you said you have the original OEM bolts, but how did you verify that? Since you said you were unsure about whether your calipers were rebuilt or swapped for remanufactured, it made me question the certainty on the factory bolts. One caveat is that I have not heard of anybody having issues using non OEM bolts on these. But most bolts are made in China these days.....
Dust seals: Maybe just a little more meat than the originals? The ones in your pics sure look normal to me.

Last edited:
I just purchased a KH setup from a member here and should be getting them in Friday. So I was looking around for rotors and saw the Bendix on Summit for $21, and thought that was a pretty decent deal. I have never had fitment issues with aftermarket rotors/drums on other vehicles so did not even think about that being a worry! Probably be several weeks before I get to installing the setup, and I plan on rebuilding my own calipers. Not sure if I will return the rotors to Summit, will be watching your thread closely!

After thinking about this problem a bit more last night and looking at the pics on this thread it seems like the issue could only be the following things:

Rotors: Manufacturing tolerances off (Chinese quality control!)
Calipers: Maybe some variances in caliper castings from KH's? Not sure if this is likely, but it seems like other mopar castings seems to have a few differences. Also did aftermarket brake manufacturers every produce copies of these KH calipers for the market? Maybe worthy discussion in a new thread.
Caliper Bolts: I suppose using non original bolts could possibly put the caliper slightly off alignment when attaching to the spindle. I know you said you have the original OEM bolts, but how did you verify that? Since you said you were unsure about whether your calipers were rebuilt or swapped for remanufactured, it made me question the certainty on the factory bolts. One caveat is that I have not heard of anybody having issues using non OEM bolts on these. But most bolts are made in China these days.....
Dust seals: Maybe just a little more meat than the originals? The ones in your pics sure look normal to me.
Cuda68Scott,
I wound up using the Centric rotors. They are still real tight but after "massaging" the dust boots to slightly flatten them with heat I got enough clearance. I was going to try The Ram Man Inc as they supposedly have the original rotors for $225. The caliper bolts are indeed the original factory special shouldered bolts. Its all in the cheap chinese rotors. Please let me know how your rebuild goes and send pics too.
Thank you!!

Cuda68Scott,
I wound up using the Centric rotors. They are still real tight but after "massaging" the dust boots to slightly flatten them with heat I got enough clearance. I was going to try The Ram Man Inc as they supposedly have the original rotors for $225. The caliper bolts are indeed the original factory special shouldered bolts. Its all in the cheap chinese rotors. Please let me know how your rebuild goes and send pics too.
Thank you!!

Do you think that the Bendix rotors would have worked with the same boot massaging?

-
Back