Need help with wire identification electronic harness!

-

D.Dog

Reaction score
Need some wisdom on my electronic conversion harness from Evans. Its for 340 V8. There
is a brown wire from new plug in which is fairly long with plug on it. My wiring diagram is
is from 68/69. I am also changing car over to 4 spd. Does it go to a neutral safety switch.
Photos enclosed. Your help would be appreciated. D.dog!

DSCF0715 harness brown wire 5x4.jpg

DSCF0717  harness brown wire  5x4.jpg

I don't think it's the neutral safety switch, at least not for an auto trans, that would be a roundish plug with 3 contacts IIRC. That brown wire may be for the alternator field? It looks like it could be about 30 inches long uncoiled. I'm not sure but that would be my first instinct.

I think that's the 12V start feed to the starter relay.

Neutral safety switch wire! to the starter relay.

Its got me stumped!Acording to engine diagram
1 brn wire from ignition to fire wall plug then to ignition resistor which is in a different cavity on same plug. This electronic harness came from Evans last year. This other brown wire has a plastic plug on end. If it goes to starter solenoid
it needs a different end. My new 4 spd solenoid
looks like it takes a metel slide tab.
What is your thoughts? Photos enclosed. I could
call him, but he seems like he does not want to
be bothered. Photos enclosed. Thanks!

DSCF0720 dart relay.jpg

DSCF0721  start  relay.jpg

DSCF0720 dart relay.jpg

DSCF0721  start  relay.jpg

You have a Stick starter relay that grounds to body. You do not need the Brown unless auto!

The harness looks weird to me, that brown should be straight from the NS switch on the 69 auto trans. What year are you working with?

What pins are these on the bulkhead? Being aftermarket it matters! Could be wiper washer motor.

I had a look at my 75 Dart, brown with yellow stripe goes to the starter relay, it was born a /6 auto. May or may not help.

What pins are these on the bulkhead? Being aftermarket it matters! Could be wiper washer motor.

^^This here^^ "Ohm" it out and see what pin on the bulkhead connector it goes to. I think the washer? wire connects to the wiper harness, not the ignition harness

^^This here^^ "Ohm" it out and see what pin on the bulkhead connector it goes to. I think the washer? wire connects to the wiper harness, not the ignition harness
I think 273 dart is correct. I think it goes to wiper harness. I don't have a wiper washer on car. According to my classic diagram thats where it would
connect to. Thanks for your help!

By the way do you have a service manual/ wireing diagram? You can get them free at MyMopar. CAVEAT: In through those years, there was a factory mistake in the wiring diagram with the bulkhead connector. l believe it interchanged the yellow start wire with the horn wire at the bulkhead connector terminals.

That brown wire goes to the electric window washer pump. Why it wasn't in the other bulkhead connector that has all the other wiper wires in it has always been a mystery to me.
It has been connected to the ignition before. I saw it in earlier threads here.

Some pictures of original and accurate replica relay wiring in this thread.
Its a 67 with A/T. For M/T no NSS terminal.
Starter Relay wire question.
At least through 67. The wire from starter relay to starter solenoid was wrapped into the battery cable harness.

Some pictures of original and accurate replica relay wiring in this thread.
Its a 67 with A/T. For M/T no NSS terminal.
Starter Relay wire question.
At least through 67. The wire from starter relay to starter solenoid was wrapped into the battery cable harness.
In 67 with automatic trans, the brown wire from starter relay to neutral safety switch wasn't taped in a harness or through the bulkhead. It was a single stand of brown wire routed directly points A to B. I don't recall this brown wire going through bulkhead in any model.

In 67 with automatic trans, the brown wire from starter relay to neutral safety switch wasn't taped in a harness or through the bulkhead. It was a single stand of brown wire routed directly points A to B. I don't recall this brown wire going through bulkhead in any model.
That's what I used to think. But when saw examples where it was wrapped in with the batter to starter cable. I looked up the p/n and found this for for sale.
upload_2020-3-9_10-12-51.png

I am slightly suspicious of that NOS claim as the terminal doesn't appear to have the molded insulation we see in original factory cables.
upload_2020-3-9_10-16-36.png

That's what I used to think. But when saw examples where it was wrapped in with the batter to starter cable. I looked up the p/n and found this for for sale.
View attachment 1715484315
I see where confusion is... We're talking about 2 different wires. Yellow wire start signal from ignition switch to starter relay then automatic trans gets a brown wire kind of thrown at it to neutral safety switch. This member now knows what/where his brown wire is for so... its all good.

I see where confusion is... We're talking about 2 different wires. Yellow wire start signal from ignition switch to starter relay then automatic trans gets a brown wire kind of thrown at it to neutral safety switch. This member now knows what/where his brown wire is for so... its all good.
You're right. My mistake. You were explicit and I read it too fast.
the brown wire from starter relay to neutral safety switch wasn't taped in a harness or through the bulkhead
The wire to the NSS on my '67 was seperate from the wrapped harnesses.

You're right. My mistake. You were explicit and I read it too fast.
The wire to the NSS on my '67 was seperate from the wrapped harnesses.
Automatic trans still wasn't standard equipment so that brown wire was added to the automatic trans builds.

According to the wiring diagram in the Factory Service Manual it is for the washer pump.

Factory Service Manual - If you don't have one get one, if you have one use it.

Alan

I think 273 dart is correct. I think it goes to wiper harness. I don't have a wiper washer on car. According to my classic diagram thats where it would
connect to. Thanks for your help!
If you don't have the washer bottle with electric pump but do have the "push to wash" feature in your wiper switch, I could show you how to use that feature as a "one push equals one sweep" intermittent wiper operation. Without the correct type switch you would have to place a push button switch somewhere to utilize this wire through the bulkhead.

After looking at this diagram it took me a skinny minute to realize why this wire isn't over in the other connector with other wiper related wires.... It was all about which way this wire was going in engine bay and/or which harness it is best for it to be taped into. To be in other connector would have tied theses 2 connectors/harnesses together.

-
Back