Need opinions on what I should do with my a-833

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
So here is my dilemma, in 2001 I took the 4 speed out of my dart and sent it off to Stick Only in Sunvalley Ca to get it redone. By the way they are the best shop in California to get a 4 speed rebuilt. Anyways I got the tranny back in perfect condition with everything replaced with racing cut synchros etc... I put the tranny back in the car with a later model aluminium bell housing to accommodate a larger clutch. I put it back in the car behind a new smallblock but always had issues with the mechanical linkage.( it's a 65 Dart ) So years went by and the car basically got mothballed with 300 miles on the drivetrain. In 2007 I bought I McCleod hydraulic throw out bearing conversion and was gearing up to get the car back on the road again. In 2008 I was involved in a life changing accident leaving me paralyzed from waist down. So what I'm getting at is I have a brand new tranny and unused throw out bearing conversion and I'm tworn if I should keep it because it's the matching number tranny or sell it. Yes it's a rare dart but the stock 273 is long lost and the car is by no means stock anymore. I cant drive stick anymore otherwise I wouldn't be writing this. What's it worth?

Allright, Truth you MUST change to automatic. Best bet is to try to get as much for the manual as possible to offset costs. Or sell car, easier to change to automatic, IF YOU like the car. At least you do not have a Richmond 5 speed installed, unlike others.LOL

I'd switch to auto and try to keep the manual with the car if you do decide to dell in the future ... one more original part that could easily be re- installed later . Your choice .

No "numbers" to match on the tranny. Sell it and don't let a good rebuild go to waste

heck-- advertise & see if you can get someone to trade / assist in the swap. i'm placing more value on your 4 speed than an auto. Lawrence

I have only talked with you a few times about our 65 Dart builds, But I can tell you this. My hats off to you for not letting your injury keep you from what you love, I can't imagine trying to build a car with your injury.
As far as the tranny goes, just use the automatic and forget about the 4 speed. As you stated your car is no longer original and with the mods you have done. I can't see anyone ever putting it back to original.Sell it and use the money to help finish your car. set 200 a side and build a front spoiler...LOL (inside joke)
Tim

Thanks for the advice. Think I'm going to part with it and move on with the build. I figure I can probably get 1,800 bucks for the tranny and throw out bearing conversion. Hell I spent 600 just on the throw out bearing alone. I'll post some pics on the classifieds to see if I get any hits. Thanks for the advice guys I was leaning towards selling it in the first place, I just needed that push.

Yea it's been kind of a drag Tim working Rollin around all day but it's been therapy in a way. I've had the car almost 20 years and it's good to see her comming along since the last time I drove her in 2000. I told myself that I'm going to do this build with no help whatsoever and that's the way I've been Rollin ever since I started in 2010. I've never let it stop me so far and my stubborn *** doesn't plan to start anytime soon. And trust me that 200 bucks on that chin spoiler never looked so bad ***! How's your ride commin? That mini tub takes a long *** time! Hopefully I'll have it done this week.

-
Back