need right tourque converter

-

ltrripp11

Reaction score
gentleman.

with all the mopar experience on here i need advise on the proper tourque converter size on the following. yeh i know i can call summit tech but i want to hear what you guys have to say.

i have a 1972 340 duster all restored. i had the motor rebuilt last spring and it runs real well but i believe the tourque converter is not sized right for it. here is what i have:

MOTOR.
-original 340 with 416 eagle stroker kit
-9.2.1 compression
-diamond pistons
-summitt 750cfm vac secondary 4brl carb-edelbrock performer rpm manifold (no porting)
-stock x heads freshened up (no porting)
-stock early 340 exhaust manifolds
-comp cams 268h extreme energy cam 477/488 lift (prob a little small)
-stock mopar performance electronic ignition with orange box
-2 1/2 exhaust all the way back with h-pipe

all else is original and made to look factory stock under the hood with correct paint etc. i think i covered all the important aspects??

TRANSMISSION.

original 727 with mild shift kit and stock converter

REAREND.

original 8 3/4 with 354 gearing

TIRES.

15 inch cragars with 60 series bf goodrich 235/60/15 tires.

again i just need some suggestions on stall speed on the converter based on the above. it seemed to chirp the tires harder on the first to second shift before the rebuild than it does now even though it runs out much stronger. i suspect the converter. thanks in advance.

I wouldnt worry about the convertor unless your really trying to ring every tenth out of it,with that combo you dont need need anymore than stock.Has the trans been rebuilt or has anything been changed such as shiftkit-kick down out of adjustment ect.,if its shifting different it would be one of these or its wearing out.

You have a very mild stroker there. I would leave the factory convertor in it.

Not wanting to bash Summit or their customer service techs. They can certainly read the propaganda put forth by their vendors, but so can you if you go to the web sites. But you have 2 choices:

Contact the various converter vendors and ask what off-the-shelf converter fits your needs best and then surf the web for the best deal.

OR

Call Dynamic or one of the other custom converter shops which support professional Torqueflite racers, discuss EXACTLY what you want and write them a check. At a minimum, you will learn a bit about just what a particular converter will and will not do for your combo. Yeah, they may cost more... until you buy your second off-the-shelf converter.

Chief's right about the Summit techs. Don't get me wrong I like Summit and order from them with good luck but their techs know just a little about everything and not alot about what you need to know has been my experience with them.

I also think a stock converter is fine with that mild combo. Maybe a 2000 stall if you want a little more perf. You have a mild idling torque monster there so you don't need much stall at all.

yeh, that is why i wanted more oppionions than just summitt. real world stuff. anyways some have mentioned just leave it? thats easy but for relatively cheap money i would like to optimize it and get the most for my time and expense. thats all. anyone know what stall is stock on these 340's? also where is the neutral safety switch located on these??

The stall on 340 cars was usually about 2000-2200 if I remember right. The neutral safety switch is located on the left side of the trans. screwed into the housing. It has 3 electrical prongs sticking out.

-
Back