Need second opinion, Am I Crazy or Not

-

demon seed

The Original Demon Seed
Reaction score
Recently my wife and I have been kicking around an idea but first some info on our situation. Both of us are 55ish and Janet still works a 9-5 job, great pay, loves her job and they love her but she'd like to retire in 2 years and I'm allready semi-retired. Financially we're secure with investments, even with the recent stock market upheavals, and outright own 3 cars (includes the Demon), 1 boat, 1 parkmodel trailer parked at an RV site in Idaho and the house we live in and oh yea the kids are long gone. The plan is to sell everything, except her car which is a 2 year old Honda Accord and buy a 40 foot RV with all the bells and whiseles. We would travel around north america for the first year or 2 then eventually winter in New Mexico for 6 months (don't like southern Arizona where most of the snow birds like to flock) then back up here for the 6 months of summer, Canadians are only allowed in the US for 6 months at a time. I even told Janet just the other day that we'd probably never own a real house ever again and she said she's fine with that our present house is to big for the 2 of us anyway. That shocked the crap out of me. Seems like I'm the one who's hesitant and she's all for it.
So contrary to the opinion of only a few here I actually do value the opinions of most of the members:D. What do you people think, are we nuts and given the same situation as above would any of you jump off the crazy train, pee on it as it flys by and just say goodbye to the BS.
Almost forgot, below is the 40' Fleetwood, It's got the floorplan we want, the engine I want 380 Cummins and like I said all the bells and whisles.

Attachments

• 98865179_1thumb_550x410.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 431
I have known people to do exactly what you are wanting to do. I have found that after about 5 years, the people are wanting to sell the RV and find a condo or rent. Other people have done the same within a 2 year period. I'd say sell and travel. BUT keep money back for another home or condo in the 2-5 year range. You will probably find a better place to live than where you are now. At least I have found most people have.

When you say sell everything except the Honda, does that mean the Demon too? I think you'd like to have something to enjoy when you come home for the summer.

Good for you guys for even thinking along these lines. My wife and I are slaves to health insurance and she has to keep working. My wife just got over her second bout with cancer and had to keep her job to keep her insurance so is working when she should be home. You folks being from Canada I guess got that part covered and if you think you will be ok money wise why not. You only get one shot at life and maybe spending the winter in warmer areas might be good for you and your wife. Do it. Southern Fl is full of grounds for motorhomes

Recently my wife and I have been kicking around an idea but first some info on our situation. Both of us are 55ish and Janet still works a 9-5 job, great pay, loves her job and they love her but she'd like to retire in 2 years and I'm allready semi-retired. Financially we're secure with investments, even with the recent stock market upheavals, and outright own 3 cars (includes the Demon), 1 boat, 1 parkmodel trailer parked at an RV site in Idaho and the house we live in and oh yea the kids are long gone. The plan is to sell everything, except her car which is a 2 year old Honda Accord and buy a 40 foot RV with all the bells and whiseles. We would travel around north america for the first year or 2 then eventually winter in New Mexico for 6 months (don't like southern Arizona where most of the snow birds like to flock) then back up here for the 6 months of summer, Canadians are only allowed in the US for 6 months at a time. I even told Janet just the other day that we'd probably never own a real house ever again and she said she's fine with that our present house is to big for the 2 of us anyway. That shocked the crap out of me. Seems like I'm the one who's hesitant and she's all for it.
So contrary to the opinion of only a few here I actually do value the opinions of most of the members:D. What do you people think, are we nuts and given the same situation as above would any of you jump off the crazy train, pee on it as it flys by and just say goodbye to the BS.
Almost forgot, below is the 40' Fleetwood, It's got the floorplan we want, the engine I want 380 Cummins and like I said all the bells and whisles.

YES, you are crazy if the plan includes selling the Demon. Get a nice secure storage place for the Demon and keep it or you will be driving yourself crazy every time you see another car the reminds you of the Demon.

Better idea, instead of sell the house, rent it out. Extra income and you'd find someone to gain money from faster. After a few years traveling gets old. Just don't sell the house, rent it out. It's a better market to rent it out anyways. Stocks, now is the BEST time to buy, the stocks falling in price will not last forever, obviously. I'd stick to blue chip stocks that pay good dividends and have a good long term track record. Enjoy life man, but don't hop on the crazy train selling off literally everything. Think it thoroughly, logically.

Most people never get to see all their own state. I say if you have the opportunity to see a lot of the country, go for it. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity. I offer that whether you value my opinion or not. lol

Good for you guys for even thinking along these lines. My wife and I are slaves to health insurance and she has to keep working. My wife just got over her second bout with cancer and had to keep her job to keep her insurance so is working when she should be home. You folks being from Canada I guess got that part covered and if you think you will be ok money wise why not. You only get one shot at life and maybe spending the winter in warmer areas might be good for you and your wife. Do it. Southern Fl is full of grounds for motorhomes

Good thoughts but we're not completely out of the woods with healthcare costs. We would have to purchase supplimental insurance for while were in the states to cover any emergencies and depending on a persons age you're looking at a hundred a month/per person. This also go up as you age and I like Florida, we'll probably winter there the first year.

It depends, do you like each other?

My grandparents traveled 6 months per year for 10 years as part of a group called Mobile Missionary Assistance Program. They worked charitable construction jobs in exchange for free parking and hookups. It gave them a community to belong to, a sense of purpose and they saw the country.

They kept their house in Western PA and stayed home summers to spend time with their grand children.

I envy them for having the guts and free spirit to do somenthing like that.

Better idea, instead of sell the house, rent it out. Extra income and you'd find someone to gain money from faster. After a few years traveling gets old. Just don't sell the house, rent it out. It's a better market to rent it out anyways. Stocks, now is the BEST time to buy, the stocks falling in price will not last forever, obviously. I'd stick to blue chip stocks that pay good dividends and have a good long term track record. Enjoy life man, but don't hop on the crazy train selling off literally everything. Think it thoroughly, logically.

More good points but I can make more money investing the money from the sale of the house than by renting it out and we have no capital gains tax on the sale of your primary residence. Yup we're mostly into ETF's (I Shares) that pay monthly distributions with very low management fees eg. .5%. We actually were planning on selling the house anyways and buying one smaller which is always a choice down the road.

Terry, I myself would be hesitant to sell the house. I would think of it as a home base, a safe place to be or go to for that just "in case" happening. I fully support the idea of retirement and travel. It is just that I maybe a bit young (?45?) to invision this myself in your socks that has me in a caution state of mind.

There are 100s of used motor homes in Florida that can be had for a song.
I've noticed several of the smaller used car lots have bought one or three hoping to resell while the RV sales lots have disappeared. I think the gas guzzling motor home will go the way of the station wagon and other dinosaures. Fifth wheel tralers and daully trucks are more practical. I suppose singers and bands may still have tour buses. They dont have to be practical.

I have known people to do exactly what you are wanting to do. I have found that after about 5 years, the people are wanting to sell the RV and find a condo or rent. Other people have done the same within a 2 year period. I'd say sell and travel. BUT keep money back for another home or condo in the 2-5 year range. You will probably find a better place to live than where you are now. At least I have found most people have.

I've seen the exact same thing. I've also seen it happen where after about two weeks, the wife wants to start staying in a motel every night. Everyone is different, but I've never actually met anyone that is happy to stay in one of those things long-term.

I say do it while you are young enough to travel without much physical effort. My father-in-law went to Greece while he was in his late 60s and he said the steps going up and down hills and buildings was very tiring for him.

My goal is to have one of my kids move into my house and take over payments so I can travel by car/truck/trailer/motorhome. I have space on my property for rv parking so I can use it to visit every so often and to recharge my own batteries.

If you need to put the Demon somewhere safe, then my house would be ideal. I promise to take it out every weekend to "keep the battery charged".

Good luck.

There are 100s of used motor homes in Florida that can be had for a song.
I've noticed several of the smaller used car lots have bought one or three hoping to resell while the RV sales lots have disappeared. I think the gas guzzling motor home will go the way of the station wagon and other dinosaures. Fifth wheel tralers and daully trucks are more practical. I suppose singers and bands may still have tour buses. They dont have to be practical.

I have noticed how many really nice late model motor homes can be bought really right. Economy tanked and those are some of the toys that flooded the market plus there are a bunch of loan companies with them too. We are also looking at a newer and bigger motor home than we have now because my wife is 5 years from retiring but we will still keep our real estate and my cars.

If you can do this comfortably financially, and you are adventurous, I only have one thing to say. "You only live once".

Also, don't buy the RV new, used ones should be a bargain in this economy.

I've always liked the idea of having a year off of life and traveling the continent in a westfalia but life is moving too fast for me to even consider. Can't imagine being mobile my whole life though. Best of luck either way!

To answer your question....YEP!! you are crazy:toothy10:

I still like your idea though. If you are able, go enjoy life my Friend.

Sounds like a plan, My folks have that same motor home if the one your looking at has three slides. Gets about 9 miles to the gallon towing a car and has all the power you need.

You might consider heading down to New Mexico first and check out places for sale. Things are going real cheap down in some of those areas here lately because of the economy.

If you & the spouse both like the idea--- start mapping it out!!
You could also form a Demon foster program-- where the car stays with members close to your travels!!!
The traveling would be fun at least for a while-- you could start your own road trip travels for the "A" body crowd . If you make it by Wichita, Kansas I have free RV parking & a pool !!
Lawrence

Thanks for the great advice guys but it seems as you care more about the Demon than me. :D. The juries still out on it and may go into storage or might go after another project to give me something to do when back up here for the 6 months each year. Anyway we have thought about what if after 1 month or 1 year we can't live this close to each other so there will always be money left in reserve to buy a smaller house than the one we're in now. I've also been looking all over the country at different sites as used RV's come up and about the best prices for both new and used are in Texas and Florida. The dealers up here still got their heads up their ***. That Fleetwood pictures is a 2011 and up here lists for 275K so you could probably get it for 235. In Texas that very same unit would sell today for 189K, add 10 for taxes and ya see what I mean. Don't worry I've been doing my homework.

-
Back